Building a 22/24 integral can

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

unclemoak
Silent Operator

Re: Building a 22/24 integral can

Post by unclemoak »

I don't have too much to update. Right before the holidays was kind of crazy for my because I unfortunately totaled my car and had a little bit of a mad dash to find a new one.

Other than that slight setback, I was able to find a source of barrels. Someone on Rimfire Central tipped me off that Volquartzen usually has take off barrels, so I was able to get a pile of them from them @ $35 a piece, compared the the $80 I paid for the two from Clark Custom Guns.

The next steps will be finalizing a receiver design for the testing, then trying to find some .22 ammo, so if anyone knows of any sources of .22 ammo, please PM me. I'll need around 500rds of maybe 6-7 different brands for my testing.
Engineer looking for a new job, PM me
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Cool project! Unfortunately, .22 ammo is just ridiculous right now. I'm still running off my stash of CCI Blazer I picked up for $8 a brick way back when! Plus an assortment of subsonic stuff.

This .22 ammo supply issue is just insanity. The price of rimfire is now approaching centerfire!
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Baffled wrote: This .22 ammo supply issue is just insanity. The price of rimfire is now approaching centerfire!
Yeah, I reload, so it's cheaper for me to shoot the .45 than the .22 :shock:
unclemoak
Silent Operator

Post by unclemoak »

Today I spend a little bit of time putting together my testing plan. I want to get an idea of what barrel length bullets will stay sub-sonic. My plan is to start at the factory length barrel and cut it down by 0.1" until it's 2.0" in length and record a number of variables along the way using a couple different kinds of ammo.

I also called up Ruger today to order a handful of ejectors and rivets for the new receivers I'm going to machine for the test barrels. It was about $50 for 10 of each, which should give me a few extra in case I mess up any.

Tore out the LCI, because frankly, who needs that pile of crap?

The next order of business was to take the MK II prints that I was able to find online and turn them into a solid model and print for the receivers that I'm going to make.

This is the print that I started with

And the horrendous looking receiver it yeilds.

Changed the ejection port a bit to be a little better looking.

All the cuts in the bottom.

Wire frame to see all the innards.

Next up will be to find some material to make the receiver blanks out of, find the appropriate take to cut the barrel threads, and then hopefully start making chips.
Hatchetjoe
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hatchetjoe »

Any plans on making a left side eject version?
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

[right click] drawings...

And saved.

:D

Got another project for the lathe/mill now...

Byrdman
unclemoak
Silent Operator

Post by unclemoak »

Hatchetjoe wrote:Any plans on making a left side eject version?
No plans currently. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard. The receiver is the easy part, making a new bolt would be slightly more involved.
MCKNBRD wrote:[right click] drawings...

And saved.

:D

Got another project for the lathe/mill now...

Byrdman
The receiver should be a breeze with a bridgeport and a rotary table/tail stock.
Hatchetjoe
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hatchetjoe »

I was thinking maybe the bolt would just need a new slot to clear the left side ejector, and rework for the extractor on the left, not a completely new bolt, but admittedly I haven't looked at this too hard yet.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

OK Hatchetjoe, my curiosity has gotten the better of me....it's a pistol......Why do you care which side it ejects on? I get that maybe you are a lefty, but it is held out in front of you with both or either hand.....I don't understand the need for it to eject on the left.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

daviscustom wrote:OK Hatchetjoe, my curiosity has gotten the better of me....Why do you care which side it ejects on? I get that maybe you are a lefty, but it is held out in front of you with both or either hand.....I don't understand the need for it to eject on the left.
I can't speak for Hatchet.

When it comes to firing a "defensive" pistol strong-handed, it is canted slightly outward and held with wrist against the junction of ribs and chest. The ejecting brass might jam when bouncing against the body and then rebounding toward ejection port.

But you're right. Why bother if it's a .22? Who's going to tuck the pistol against their body? The action cycling the bolt creates too great of a jam/pinch hazard in and of itself.

I'm also interested in Hatchetjoe's answer.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

daviscustom wrote:OK Hatchetjoe, my curiosity has gotten the better of me....it's a pistol......Why do you care which side it ejects on? I get that maybe you are a lefty, but it is held out in front of you with both or either hand.....I don't understand the need for it to eject on the left.

Who says one has to use it as a pistol receiver?
Right hand ejected brass flies in front of your view, sometimes that is just not what a customer wants…
Pistol or rifle does not matter in that case.

Gunny
Hatchetjoe
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hatchetjoe »

I like Gunny's thought process. However I was just thinking about shooting double handed one in the left hand and one in the right. As far as pistols and defensive weapon I think a suppressed .22 come under the heading of offensive pistol.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Hatchetjoe wrote:I like Gunny's thought process. However I was just thinking about shooting double handed one in the left hand and one in the right. As far as pistols and defensive weapon I think a suppressed .22 come under the heading of offensive pistol.
CIA and Mafia have always loved them for Offensive use. :twisted:
But larger surface area of .40 and .45 are preferred for defensive use.
An old saying from the 1970-80's: "9mm is Mankiller, .45 is Manstopper." I've seen this borne out many times. Seen people shot 4 or 5 times w .45 and still live. !?! But they sure dropped quick and didn't get up until EMTs carried them away.
unclemoak
Silent Operator

Post by unclemoak »

A post on another forum and this video I watched (at the 1:00 mark) a while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBHOay8TAiI

got me to do a little thinking. Instead of trying to squeeze everything into a small 1" OD piece of tubing, why not just fit up the frame to a large diameter receiver?

This is a 1.25" OD piece of tubing that I had laying around.

It might cause me to have to make some changes to the mechanicals, but for the increased volume, I think it'll probably be worth it.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

gunny50 wrote:
daviscustom wrote:OK Hatchetjoe, my curiosity has gotten the better of me....it's a pistol......Why do you care which side it ejects on? I get that maybe you are a lefty, but it is held out in front of you with both or either hand.....I don't understand the need for it to eject on the left.

Who says one has to use it as a pistol receiver?
Right hand ejected brass flies in front of your view, sometimes that is just not what a customer wants…
Pistol or rifle does not matter in that case.

Gunny
Didn't mean that there wasn't a good reason to do it, I was just curious what his reason was. :wink:

Unclemoak....if you get too carried away it's gonna start to look like a flare gun, but that would certainly give you more volume to play with. Maybe that would allow you to shorten the suppressor without losing performance. 1 1/8" tubing is an option as well.
unclemoak
Silent Operator

Post by unclemoak »

Parts are starting to roll in.

On Friday my ejectors and rivets came in from Ruger.

And the UPS man just dropped off the steel for the test receivers.

It wasn't too easy to find correctly sized tubing in anything but aluminum. I could find 1.0" OD x .760" ID, but thought that would be a little sloppy and have a negative affect on accuracy, so I found steel tubing from one of my favorite metal vendors, (http://www.speedymetals.com/) which just happens to be right up the road, in 1.0" OD x 0.624" ID. Because of that I'll have to ream it out most likely with a .749" reamer, then hone it the rest of the way to get it to .750".

unclemoak
Silent Operator

Post by unclemoak »

This is my new thought on going to a sleeve over the receiver design, which is still very conceptual at this point. I would essentially be taking my piece of 1.0" OD x .75" ID material for the receiver and cutting the barrel threads in it, then pressed it into a 1.125" OD x 0.995" ID tube. Then I would finish doing the rest of the machining on the receiver.

whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

You could still add sumps between bore chambers. Mill out sections at top and bottom of core that boreline chambers bleed into. This creates extra volume and valves that delay release of stagnant gas back into Boreline Chambers.

There have been many threads here showing this. I don't have time to scan through them though.

These "69" chambered monocores are another option.
ImageImageImageImage
unclemoak
Silent Operator

Post by unclemoak »

whiterussian1974 wrote:You could still add sumps between bore chambers. Mill out sections at top and bottom of core that boreline chambers bleed into. This creates extra volume and valves that delay release of stagnant gas back into Boreline Chambers.

There have been many threads here showing this. I don't have time to scan through them though.

ImageImageImageImage

That's the plan. That core was just an initial mock up.
unclemoak
Silent Operator

Post by unclemoak »

As I mentioned before, I wasn't able to locate tubing that was exactly what I needed, so I had to bore out the 0.624" ID tubing to close to the right size. I had a little bit of time this evening, so I faced and drilled out the tubing to 47/64ths (just under the final 3/4" size). Later I'll ream it to 0.75" and run a hone through it to clean up the surface.

You can see a decent amount of material was removed.

Since I didn't have an +8" long drill bit, I had to drill the tube from both ends. If you look closely, you can see a slight step in the middle. That will come out when the tubes get reamed and honed later.

Short video clip of the drilling.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

whiterussian1974 wrote:You could still add sumps between bore chambers. Mill out sections at top and bottom of core that boreline chambers bleed into. This creates extra volume and valves that delay release of stagnant gas back into Boreline Chambers.

ImageImageImageImage

I have heard that one works pretty good. :wink:

If you go that route with the smaller double blast chambers, make sure you leave plenty of wall thickness between them. We thinned out that wall in the CNC version and had issues with that divider wanting to bow forward on the unsupported edges and lock the tube in place.......never had any issues with the original that is pictured.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

Bendersquint wrote:
unclemoak wrote:
Dr.K wrote:Plenty of people have made integral cans before too, but I don't think I've seen anyone make a monolithic integral can before similar to the Gemtech Oasis and when you're young, single, and have way too much time on your hands, why not?
There have been a few of them built. I recall seeing one in all 3 flavors......aluminum, titanium and stainless steel. The Ti one even had a ported barrel!
He said monolithic. Anything other than factory receiver metal is impossible.

Never mind I see he abandoned that idea
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

No pics... bandwidth exceeded... :(
rancilio

Post by rancilio »

Keep it coming uncle! Thanks.
Last edited by rancilio on Wed May 14, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A southern Arizona SOT - www.quiettimesports.com
unclemoak
Silent Operator

Post by unclemoak »

rancilio wrote:Keep it coming uncle! Thanks.
Did I mention I get easily distracted?

In completely unrelated news, I made this lightweight carrier the other day. Just has to go to heat treat,blast, and then to coater for QPQ.