Using a Surefire SOCOM 7.62 Can on a 5.56?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Stangs55

Using a Surefire SOCOM 7.62 Can on a 5.56?

Post by Stangs55 »

First time poster, long time lurker.

Finally got my trust setup and I'll be buying a can this week.

I have two 5.56's with a Surefire SOCOM brake on them, as well as two 7.62's with a Surefire SOCOM brake on them. Up to today, I was simply planning on buying a 556 SOCOM suppressor now...then a 762 SOCOM suppressor later. However, I had a buddy tell me to instead just change my 556 brakes out for a 762 Surefire SOCOM brake on my 556's...then simply buy one 30 cal SOCOM can and it'll fit everything.

Is this possible? Can you fit a 30 cal Surefire SOCOM brake on a 556 then simply use one can?

Thanks in advance.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: Using a Surefire SOCOM 7.62 Can on a 5.56?

Post by MJF1911 »

I don't know about SF mounts but there is no reason you can't shoot a smaller bullet through a larger bore suppressor. It'll actually reduce blowback if you're shooting an AR.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Stangs55

Post by Stangs55 »

MJF1911 wrote:I don't know about SF mounts but there is no reason you can't shoot a smaller bullet through a larger bore suppressor. It'll actually reduce blowback if you're shooting an AR.
Right. I've always been aware of this...my problem is that I really want/need the quick attach and detach on a brake since I still plan on mainly using the brake naked. Since the 762 SOCOM can does not for the 556 brake...I never assumed it was an option for me, so I always just planned in getting two cans...
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

It doesn't appear that Surefire mounts interchange and they don't make a 762 mount in 1/2x28. You would have to change the thread on your rifles so you could run the 762 mount.

Alternatively you could forego the whole Surefire mess and just get a Specwar 762. The cost savings would easily buy all the mounts you could possibly want and still pay for a few cases of ammo and the tax.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
1slow01Z71
Silent Operator

Post by 1slow01Z71 »

Dump all your socom brakes and get the trifecta muzzle brakes which will cost new about what you can get for the socom brakes used. Then buy a 7.62 saker. Better mount system, quieter and it works on all their mounts that are damn near half the cost of surefire. The saker is 400 cheaper than the surefire too.
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

What the F--k is with some of you spouting s--t you have no clue about!?

YES, the 762 socom fits on the 556 mounts. No, the 556 socom does not fit on the 762 mounts (because it shouldn't).

No issues using a 762 on a 556 mount. "Dump the socom mounts"... What the F--k!? "Get a SpecWar, it's cheaper". There is some fucking massively bad advice on these forums by people who really shouldn't talk about things as their ignorance is clearly visible for all to see.

OP, this thread should be a glowing red flag to be careful of what you read on the Internet.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

este wrote:...
I wish the forum had a "Like" button
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Kudu22
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kudu22 »

Stangs55 if you need anything just hit me at [email protected]. I would be happy to help you out with any questions you have on the SF gear.
Garin Lee
Surefire Suppressor Marketing Manager
[email protected]
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I'm not a Surefire fan, I think they are overpriced for what you get, and I generally shake my head at most things este posts...but this time he's right on. :wink:
Stangs55

Post by Stangs55 »

Well this was an entertaining thread :)

For anyone else who may wonder in looking for an answer...Garin was kind enough to supply it. The 762 SOCOM will work perfectly on the 556 SOCOM brake. The end.

Thanks guys.
Shootsmith

Post by Shootsmith »

Love what este said!

I'm running a SOCOM762RC on my 556, 300blk, and 762 all using SF breaks. Thinking about adding the 762MINI instead of getting a dedicated 556 can too.
k9twelve

Post by k9twelve »

este wrote:What the F--k is with some of you spouting s--t you have no clue about!?

YES, the 762 socom fits on the 556 mounts. No, the 556 socom does not fit on the 762 mounts (because it shouldn't).

No issues using a 762 on a 556 mount. "Dump the socom mounts"... What the F--k!? "Get a SpecWar, it's cheaper". There is some fucking massively bad advice on these forums by people who really shouldn't talk about things as their ignorance is clearly visible for all to see.

OP, this thread should be a glowing red flag to be careful of what you read on the Internet.
^^^ +1
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

este wrote:What the F--k is with some of you spouting s--t you have no clue about!?

No need to get so defensive just because the Specwar and Saker are better cans than Surefire.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

MJF1911 wrote:No need to get so defensive just because the Specwar and Saker are better cans than Surefire.
... I don't even....

Wait... Do you think you got yelled at because of the quality of either can compared to each other? Really... Stop digging. You're just making this very awkward for everyone.

No, the Specwar is not in any way I can think of a objectively "better" except for price, and if you're price shopping your NFA purchases, go troll around with YHM or HTA silencers on arfcom like the other people who haven't learned some things are worth paying for. I could list out the way in which the Socom is a "better" can than the specwar FOR SOME, but that's all it is FOR SOME. To imply the Specwar is an outright "better" can is just foolish, and those of us that know better can see this right away.

No buddy, you got yelled at because you have no fucking idea what you're talking about but still got on to spread some incorrect and then subjective bullshit when it wasn't asked for. No one here or anywhere else needs that.

You don't know the answer to the question like "Will a surefire 762can fit 556 mounts? Don't guess. Simply STFU.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Look, I can afford any can I want to buy. I did every bit of research that I could possibly handle. Nothing about Surefire told me that it was worth the price they were asking and nothing about Surefire's cans are better than SWR/Silencerco.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

MJF1911 wrote:Look, I can afford any can I want to buy. I did every bit of research that I could possibly handle. Nothing about Surefire told me that it was worth the price they were asking and nothing about Surefire's cans are better than SWR/Silencerco.
The mounts are arguably better, plus the fact that they have been in the wild and proven for a long time.

Silencerco makes a fine product, but este's point about conjecture, false info, and personal preference being presented as fact is very well put (if a little sharply-worded).
Kick Ass Design
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

MJF1911 wrote:Look, I can afford any can I want to buy. I did every bit of research that I could possibly handle. Nothing about Surefire told me that it was worth the price they were asking and nothing about Surefire's cans are better than SWR/Silencerco.
Oh, and it's just Silencerco now, there is no more SWR.

Gone.
Kick Ass Design
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

Full power ammo sounds about the same through them all. There 4 things that count:

1) Accuracy
2) Mounts
3) Warranty
4) Accuracy

SFs are accurate and have (thus far) the best QD mounts. Their warranty is second to none.

The Specwar may be tits, but it needs to prove itself first.

I have an 5.56 SF can now, I would like a 7.62 QD and therefore I will be watching to see how accurate the Specwar is, and how the mounts do.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

JasonM wrote:
Oh, and it's just Silencerco now, there is no more SWR.

Gone.

I was including SWR for the stuff that Henry designed prior to the acquisition.

I mostly just responded to este to watch him have an aneurysm.

300 WM, Accuracy through my Specwar 556 has been just as good as the naked barrel, which is sub MOA. I made 1 minute of windage adjustment for the shift.
Stangs55

Post by Stangs55 »

To each his own. :D

The one thing I've learned researching all the options is that there's very minimal difference between the high end cans. You can't go wrong with any of them when looking at their ability to suppress sound...but for me, I'll be using my rifles 80% unsuppressed and 20% suppressed. So the most important thing for me is that I have the best brake available. The Surefire brakes are phenomenal and universally lauded as one of the best brakes money can buy. Add that to the ability to quick attach a suppressor and there was never really a decision that I needed to make...it was obviously the best option for my needs. Is the SOCOM brake 2 db louder or 2 db quiter than the competition? I don't care. It attaches to the best brake, so that's what I need.
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

MJF1911 wrote: 300 WM, Accuracy through my Specwar 556 has been just as good as the naked barrel, which is sub MOA. I made 1 minute of windage adjustment for the shift.

Good to know. What mount are you using?

<-- Standing by for 7.62 data
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

MJF1911 wrote:I mostly just responded to este to watch him have an aneurysm.
Just stop dude. You were wrong on multiple accounts and called out on it. Yes, sharply, because you needed that. It's over. Try Arfcom where budget cans are king, you'll find a responsive audience to incorrect info there, it's a haven for that s--t.

edited: Ugh.
The one thing I've learned researching all the options is that there's very minimal difference between the high end cans. You can't go wrong with any of them when looking at their ability to suppress sound..
THIS. Sound reduction should be near last on the comparison between high end rifle cans. The mount/brake is paramount.
Last edited by este on Tue May 27, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

.300WinMag wrote:
MJF1911 wrote: 300 WM, Accuracy through my Specwar 556 has been just as good as the naked barrel, which is sub MOA. I made 1 minute of windage adjustment for the shift.

Good to know. What mount are you using?

<-- Standing by for 7.62 data
I have the Trifecta.

---
este,

I'm not an arfcommie. I don't even like ARs, I'm not at all into the tactical goo-goo that you are. I'm well aware of what sub MOA is, and if you want to come on up to Montana I'll certainly show you and even let you pop some prairie dogs.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Not to stir the pot but to the OP:
Yes as you found it will work, the Saker however has the new mount system that I believe will work also, you will be served well by either option. Not sure why anyone posted anything more or less. I hope this will remain a well informed forum that gives good information and has members that act like adults. I apologize to the OP on everyone involved behalf.

I know I'm new here but I only came here because I was told that it was a professional and adult forum because it pertained to an adult subject, If there is a lot of bickering and member wagging I cant believe that many of the industry professionals will stay and this forum will turn into another board like ARFCOM. Thank you.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
Veritas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Veritas »

Joker31D wrote:Not to stir the pot but to the OP:
Yes as you found it will work, the Saker however has the new mount system that I believe will work also, you will be served well by either option. Not sure why anyone posted anything more or less. I hope this will remain a well informed forum that gives good information and has members that act like adults. I apologize to the OP on everyone involved behalf.

I know I'm new here but I only came here because I was told that it was a professional and adult forum because it pertained to an adult subject, If there is a lot of bickering and member wagging I cant believe that many of the industry professionals will stay and this forum will turn into another board like ARFCOM. Thank you.
It is quite often a dick measuring contest...but that is true of all forums I think.

Oh and I am very happy with my YHM cans and the mounts, one hand attach is fantastic when putting it under a quad rail that you cant get your fingers into. I shoot 5.56 through my 7.62 YHM since it works just as the SF setup does.

In the end, to each their own. :wink: