30 cal can for precision shooting

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

pcman312

30 cal can for precision shooting

Post by pcman312 »

What 30 cal can would you recommend for a bolt action precision rifle (probably a Rem 700 SPS AAC-SD)? I'm primarily looking for precision with suppression and weight coming in secondary. It would be nice if it's QD, but by no means is that required.

I'd love to have a TBAC 30P-1, but I'm hesitant to spend $1000 on it. The new SilencerCo Harvester is down around $525 which is a very nice price point. I don't have a specific budget allocated as I can just save up a little longer to get a more expensive can. Is the 30P-1 worth 2x the price of the harvester? What about other cans like the Saker 762, Gemtech HVT, or any of the other cans out there?
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Re: 30 cal can for precision shooting

Post by Joker31D »

I haven't fired it myself but the saker 7.62 is really nice on the AR-10's but not sure how much shift in POI there is. Was there when the saker was fired.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

30P-1 is generally regarded as an excellent suppressor for accuracy and minimal POI shift. I was going through this decision a few months ago and decided to go with the AAC 300-TM. You may want to check into it as well. It is direct thread, all titanium design at a little over 1k. I've heard good things about the Harvester as well for a light firing schedule. It is super lightweight and performance is good according to the reviews I've seen. I do not have any personal experience with any of the cans you listed, so....there's that.
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

Couple thoughts:

- w/ full power ammo they all sound about the same based on the materials used to construct (Stainless vs Ti)
- Single point attachment (direct thread on) are generally more accurate
- Ti is lighter weight, much more expensive and has a higher pitch. You should research Ti, heat tolerance, grades of Ti, manufacturing methods before jumping into a Ti can.
- SS have deeper tone, are cheaper and more durable
- Since the price is @ the same you should get a .30 can that is rated for full time magnum use
- Once your stamp clears you're married to it for life (because re-sale value sucks) so get a good one
- Not to pimp other sites here, but at the Snipershide the focus is pretty much only on accuracy of the can. Might be worth checking out.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

300WinMag hit it pretty well...only thing I'd add is to plan on dedicating the can to the rifle...and not take it off unless you ABSOLUTELY have to.

When you remove/reinstall, plan on rechecking your zero every time; when you can get .5-2moa shifts just from torqueing the can on a little more or less, the less you fiddle with it, the better.

Byrdman
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

MCKNBRD wrote:300WinMag hit it pretty well...only thing I'd add is to plan on dedicating the can to the rifle...and not take it off unless you ABSOLUTELY have to.

When you remove/reinstall, plan on rechecking your zero every time; when you can get .5-2moa shifts just from torqueing the can on a little more or less, the less you fiddle with it, the better.

Byrdman
Not my experience with thread on, not my experience on SF Socom QD, shouldn't happen with Saker as the can locks exactly where it was before removed.

Definitely a factor on other cans, but the ones listed in this thread should be good to go. There is a VERY small difference in thread-on using hand torque each time. They're round tubes, you won't ever go from 10lbs to 80lbs because it just won't ever be possible to grab it that tightly.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

AAC Cyclone(direct thread)is a good precision bolt gun suppressor. A little heavier than some at 22 ounces, but its not like you'll be running and gunning with it. Other than weight, the only other con is it's not magnum rated. They can be picked up for around 650.00 at most dealers.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Only the 300-TM and the new Harvester come to mind here. Strictly for bolt action precision setups.

Huge contrast between them as the 300-TM costs twice as much. Same caliber ratings on both, but no real world sound data yet for comparisons.

I lean more towards the Harvester at the moment since it has multiple thread options, weighs less, has a smaller diameter, and costs way less.
wtrski76

Post by wtrski76 »

Liberty's Freedom/Freedom mag (SS) or Victory/Victory Mag (Ti). They run about $650 for the Freedom and 1075 for the Victory. Freedom is around 23oz and victory is around 16oz. Same cans with different material construction monocore.
They will be quieter, albeit longer than the others you mentioned as well.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

One thing that most people overlook when dedicating a can for a precision rifle is the fact that a rifle with a can on it is hard to find a bag/case/drag bag for. I found this out in Afghanistan when I bought my Eberlestock pack. I ordered one that had too small of an insert which made me carry it as a scabbard instead of allowing the rain cover being able to protect it. So remember your not building a rifle, you are developing a weapon SYSTEM.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

rimshaker wrote:Only the 300-TM and the new Harvester come to mind here. Strictly for bolt action precision setups.

Huge contrast between them as the 300-TM costs twice as much. Same caliber ratings on both, but no real world sound data yet for comparisons.

I lean more towards the Harvester at the moment since it has multiple thread options, weighs less, has a smaller diameter, and costs way less.

I went with the 300TM myself, but the Harvester is a really good option just for the multiple thread options available. I would think the 300TM is going to be a fair bit more durable. Obviously the Harvester is geared more for the hunter that isn't going to be shooting it a lot anyway.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
pcman312

Post by pcman312 »

Thanks for all of the input. I'm leaning away from the 300-TM because it's about the same price as the 30P-1, and I'd choose that over the 300-TM. I currently have no plans for a semi-auto 30 cal any time soon, so volume of fire will be relatively low. The harvester is rated to 300 win mag, which is a possible caliber I'll get at some point. I like the idea of a QD can because it lessens the problem of non-repeatable POI shift, but I'm having a difficult time justifying the ~2x price increase along with the ~2x weight increase.

What are your thoughts on the Specwar 7.62 as a precision can? That's available for ~$700. It's in between the harvester and the 30P-1 in price, but gives QD capability. It is 2x the weight though (24oz vs 11oz/16oz respectively).
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

If precision and POA/POI are truly important for your setup, then committ to direct thread. Don't even bother looking at QD cans.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

I second the vote for the look into the Liberty Freedom Mag. I have not compared it to any other 30 cal cans yet since my Thomson Machine - Thirty has taken over 2 years to get approved at this point.....only getting longer as each day goes by. I loved the Freedom Magnum on my .308 Savage Hog hunter. Actually, I've never had any rifle more accurate out of the box (hardly what I expected of a rifle with a relatively short barrel). All bullet holes were touching at 100 yards with the silencer attached. I also did not shoot the rifle without the can so I can't tell you if there was a major POI shift so my info is limited. I am biased towards the Liberty can because I've always received good advice from employees when I had any questions. Having bullet holes touching on that target cemented the fact that I'll enjoy shooting that .308 with the Freedom Mag for years to come. I hope to try the can on different hosts and compare the POI shift between groups with and without the can attached but Lord only knows when I'll have time to actually do that.
I've gotta stop this habit.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I have the Freedom on my bone stock AAC 308 and, for me, with the right ammo it does ~0.5"@100yds and ~2.5"@300yards. Somebody else might be able to do better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I know money is always a issue but a integral suppressor is possibly the best way to go for a precision rifle.They can be more accurate, without POI shift plus you don't have this ungainly weight attached to the end of your barrel.Cost would be about the same as a high dollar can.Lets face it most shooters want it suppressed all the time given the option.I have never heard can you make this louder its up there with the unheard of phrase of where is the semi auto selector at a machine gun shoot.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
morris
Senior Silent Operator

Post by morris »

rimshaker wrote:If precision and POA/POI are truly important for your setup, then committ to direct thread. Don't even bother looking at QD cans.
This for sure is good advice, when it comes to the safe bet you cant go wrong with Thunderbeast!
pcman312

Post by pcman312 »

Capt. Link. wrote:I know money is always a issue but a integral suppressor is possibly the best way to go for a precision rifle.They can be more accurate, without POI shift plus you don't have this ungainly weight attached to the end of your barrel.Cost would be about the same as a high dollar can.Lets face it most shooters want it suppressed all the time given the option.I have never heard can you make this louder its up there with the unheard of phrase of where is the semi auto selector at a machine gun shoot.
I dunno, I've seen flash enhancers ;-)

I don't want to go with an integrally suppressed barrel because 1) I won't be able to use the rifle pre-can, 2) the barrel will either be reduced in length (lower velocity) or already have the weight on the end (same length + permanently attached can to the end), 3) The barrel will be more difficult to find, 4) it won't have the flexibility of being able to detach from the host and put on a different caliber rifle (such as a 300 win mag).

I'm heavily leaning towards the harvester can because I haven't seen anything that really justifies spending 2x the price for a 30P-1. If I could find a 30P-1 for a lot cheaper (say, ~$800 like I saw some months ago and am kicking myself for not picking up) then I probably would go with it. Does anyone have any specific reason for going with the 30P-1 over the harvester other than TBAC's reputation for making precision cans?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

doubloon wrote:I have the Freedom on my bone stock AAC 308 and, for me, with the right ammo it does ~0.5"@100yds and ~2.5"@300yards. Somebody else might be able to do better.
I may have lied about the 2.5", clickety-pop for bigger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

Capt. Link. wrote:I know money is always a issue but a integral suppressor is possibly the best way to go for a precision rifle.They can be more accurate, without POI shift plus you don't have this ungainly weight attached to the end of your barrel.Cost would be about the same as a high dollar can.Lets face it most shooters want it suppressed all the time given the option.I have never heard can you make this louder its up there with the unheard of phrase of where is the semi auto selector at a machine gun shoot.

The only integral I would even consider is an Accuracy International Covert, and while I have 16" 1:8 for my AW (end mount) I would not want to be limited to a 16" tube.

YMMV
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Yes there are loudners and flash enhancers +2.
I like the advantages integrals offer in accuracy and suppression with full power ammo.I totally understand the interchangeability issue but never liked the poi shift that dose happen.
AI is great stuff but as a smith I'll build my own.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895