.40 Titanium K Baffle Form 1

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mx201er
Silent But Deadly

.40 Titanium K Baffle Form 1

Post by mx201er »

Hey guys!

It has been forever since I have been on the forum, but I finally finished the build that I have slowly been working on in my free time for quite a long while. So here are some pictures and descriptions of the build:

First I made a jig to hold four baffles for machining at once. I was lucky enough to have access to Haas Mills and a Haas TL1 lathe for this project.

Next I did the outer contour of the baffle stack on the TL1. I did a test of the contour on aluminum so I did not risk messing up my chunk of titanium (there was never any bore hole, or any way to use this as a suppressor part).
ImageImage

And the titanium contour:

The baffles were then parted and the jig was used to machine the baffle face and cone.
ImageImage

Next, the booster and rear endcap! I used stainless steel for the booster, rear endcap, and the booster sleeve. I didn't find very many good pictures of booster setups, but to keep from wearing on the titanium tube, I designed my booster to be in a .0625" thick sleeve that is easily replaceable. This sleeve also keeps the baffles from trying to move around while the booster is in the out position.
ImageImage
ImageImage

And some pictures of the completed deal:

I am having my slide machined for the Trijicon RMR I just picked up, and I will be putting suppressor night sights on as well.

Hope you like it!

---------------- EDIT ------------------------------
Also
It cycled great right off the bat! I haven't had any problems with cycling, and I did a halfway slow motion video with a gopro that allows you to see the booster pull out in one frame.
It can easily be shot without earplugs normally and it is wicked quiet when shot wet, less than a .22lr. I am shooting 180gr bullets with about the maximum load of Red Dot. I was amazed how well it worked, as I have never seen another pistol suppressor being shot in person. I wish I had an industry can to compare it to :lol:

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/fQYvVbitx9k
Filmed with gopro, so not the best of sound. Remember, these are 180gr with near max load of red dot.
Last edited by mx201er on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Re: .40 Titanium K Baffle Form 1

Post by mx201er »

*Added to original post*
Last edited by mx201er on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

This is what it looks like when your cup runneth over with winning.

Great build!
Kyle O.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Masterful!

Well planned.
Seamless machining and jig holding.
Top notch execution.
A visual treat.

Thank you for inviting us in to see.

Best.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Another one in a league of its own.

One question though. Why not squeeze in another small "K" in the front end cap?
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

CThomas wrote:Another one in a league of its own.

One question though. Why not squeeze in another small "K" in the front end cap?
It is hard to see in the picture, but I used a rounded tool to cut a ring that is about half the depth of the endcap to add volume and make it resemble the face of a baffle.
I wish I could legally make a spacer to replace a baffle with so I could see if having one baffle less would affect the suppression much; I think that I could shorten the whole suppressor by one baffle without too much difference.

Thanks!
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

Sweet. beautiful machine work man. Ive been contemplating submitting a F1 for a pistol can here recently so the I appreciate the pics and experience. Where did you get the spring at if you dont mind me asking?
There are no "ex-Marines", just Marines who arent active anymore.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Very Nice 8)
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

McLarenross wrote:Sweet. beautiful machine work man. Ive been contemplating submitting a F1 for a pistol can here recently so the I appreciate the pics and experience. Where did you get the spring at if you dont mind me asking?
McMaster-Carr's website, I used part# 9657k362 (Steel Compression Spring, Zinc-pltd Music Wire,1.50"l,.970"od,.080"wire), and they come in a six pack. The spring is the only part in my can that I am not sure about in terms of corrosion resistance, I am interested to see how long it holds up.

Cheers :D
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Awesome
NP
rancilio

Post by rancilio »

Excellent. Thanks for sharing.
A southern Arizona SOT - www.quiettimesports.com
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

Added a video to the first post!