Eform vs paper for SBR

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Liver
Silent But Deadly

Eform vs paper for SBR

Post by Liver »

Currently is the wait time worth doing the eform vs paper?

The reason I am asking for the last 14 days I've been trying to log onto the eform / atf site and every time I log on it gives me an error message. I've avoided the times the site is down for maintenance (which is often). I've tried a dozen times per sitting over the the last two weeks.

I've switched browsers, cleared cache and such. I'm fairly certain it's the website.

I have everything ready to go, if I can log on. Oh, sometimes I get to log on and then it kicks me out. Frustrating.

Or is there a magic time?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Eform vs paper for SBR

Post by Bendersquint »

Yes, eform is about 1/4 the time it takes for paper.

Even if it takes you 6 months to get the form finally in the system you are still coming out ahead a bit!
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

Bendersquint wrote:Yes, eform is about 1/4 the time it takes for paper.

Even if it takes you 6 months to get the form finally in the system you are still coming out ahead a bit!
Thanks. Exactly what I needed to know.
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

Bendersquint wrote:Yes, eform is about 1/4 the time it takes for paper.

I know you are correct. Its so frustrating. I've used three different computers and three different browsers.

1. Windows - IE
2. Windows - Chrome
3. OSX - Safari

Sometimes I get the page to load, sometimes I can log in, sometimes I get to point of choosing Form1 icon.

If this was a legitimate business I would not buy from them.
HK91
Silent Operator

Post by HK91 »

I am using Firefox and had been having problems checking on my Form 1 via eFile. Last night, after opening Firefox I went to: FILE>NEW PRIVATE WINDOW and got into eFile very quickly. YMMV.

HK91
Badfinger

Post by Badfinger »

I was able to gain access at 6AM Sunday morning and 6PM tonight using Chrome, IE either locks up or throws me back to the login page. Good luck!!
You can't miss fast enough to make-up for a well placed shot.
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

Badfinger wrote:I was able to gain access at 6AM Sunday morning and 6PM tonight using Chrome, IE either locks up or throws me back to the login page. Good luck!!
Thanks. I'll try all the mentioned tips. Latest thing was got all the way done and I was unable to upload my trust file.

It's a standard PDF and optimized so it's 2.38meg, well below the 3meg limit. Then, of course, the site went down. :x
StoneyGherkin

Post by StoneyGherkin »

A post on NW Firearms forum indicated a problem with the e-Forms interface; that the system was down "TFN".

The wording is something like, "The eForms software is not performing to our expectations so the system is being taken down... the applications currently in the process will be finished and new applications must be filed using paper forms..."

I'm sure more and better details will be coming along shortly.
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista"
Dennisrl
Silent Operator

Post by Dennisrl »

I submitted my eform for an SBR on 10 Jan. It went approveed 28May.

My paper form from March 2013 was approved first week of April 2014.

EFORMS ARE DEFINITELY QUICKER

I called about 3 weeks ago to ask a question and was told E-forms are taking up to 6 months....but paper forms up to 15.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Eforms may be quicker... but I think getting an actual stamp, on a signed paper form is for the win. Hopeless romantic here.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
batman4706
Silent Operator

Post by batman4706 »

E forms is definitely quicker, I paper filed an SBR last July and efiled one in Dec, got both stamps within 2 weeks of each other.

Biggest problem with efile is if it's rejected for an error you start over, with paper file you get a letter, correct it and get the stamp within 2 weeks.
lsumakemewanna

Post by lsumakemewanna »

Eforms are not 1/4 the time as paper forms. Eforms are about 5-6 months right now (unless you're lucky and get a batched approval). By that math, paper forms would be taking almost 2 years. That's not the case. There has been pretty decent reduction on wait time for paper forms, especially if filing as a trust. I would not wait for Eforms to come back up. I would be sending my paper form in today, if I was filing.
lsumakemewanna

Post by lsumakemewanna »

batman4706 wrote:
Biggest problem with efile is if it's rejected for an error you start over, with paper file you get a letter, correct it and get the stamp within 2 weeks.
I think the biggest problem with efile has to be that it's currently not available.