AOW

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

AOW

Post by Capt. Link. »

I am getting older and have decided that a new cane is in order.Why not a cane gun for those social affairs that require proper dress.Engraving with inlays are a probability but am open to comment and suggestion on features calibers etc.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
wp6529
Silent Operator

Re: AOW

Post by wp6529 »

Adapt Ruger 10/22 design, use their compact rotary mag, integral supressor?
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Suppressed Cane Gun
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

derringer style 12g cane.
07/02 behind enemy lines
Pat M
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pat M »

tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

You could incorporate an alligator boomstick into a cane with some modifications.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I failed to mention this is to be a concealed weapon that is a functioning cane.I can get my insurance company to cover the cost that way. :shock:
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Good Captain: A Braverman Stinger Pistol design with a long barrel.
The company is out of business now.

Due to its design it is a pistol and not AOW!

<< http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/114 ... 0C114169F0 >>
<< http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... agram3.jpg >>
<< http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/783 ... 7C8EA1F370 >>
<< http://pengun.com/NewImages/bigfamily_s.jpg >>

Patent* is on line with drawings.

Make it in .22 and thus you can attach a can.

Concealable if embedded in a drilled out fat cane.

Or get a Randall Knife #18 walking staff. Compact and easily assembled, great for hiking/hunting.

<< http://www.ebay.com/itm/RANDALL-KNIFE-K ... 5d4b8b441a >>
Easy to insert a long .22 barrel, etc.

*Patent: << http://www.delphion.com/cgi-bin/viewpat.cmd/US05062231__ >>
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Are you thinking of a wooden (traditional) cane, or something more modern? It'd be easier to make if you go "modern" with it - but potentially more noticeable. Have you determined a caliber? If this is going to actually be a self defense weapon I'm sure you'll want something more than a .22 or .25. I think I'd start by looking at some canes and see what could be used to hide a firearm.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

L1A1Rocker wrote:Are you thinking of a wooden (traditional) cane, or something more modern? It'd be easier to make if you go "modern" with it - but potentially more noticeable. Have you determined a caliber? If this is going to actually be a self defense weapon I'm sure you'll want something more than a .22 or .25. I think I'd start by looking at some canes and see what could be used to hide a firearm.
I am planning on building from scratch.I will combine metal with wood with possible inlays and engraving.I have on hand some of the worlds most beautiful woods large pieces of copper, brass & other metals.I think a rifle round in the stick and a pistol caliber in the handle would be unique.I have not settled on anything as I have been getting some good ideas.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Very solid idea, having at least 2 chambered rounds available, as a follow-up shot could easily be necessary in a lot of situations. Having at least one of these chambers quickly and easily accessible for reloading might also be a consideration, for example by means of a QD threaded connector for the suppressed segment in the long stick. The pistol round in the handle (if I'm reading you right; that the pistol round would fire 90 degrees to the rifle round?) could be slower to load or not, probably not to make the handle mounting very secure for use as a cane. But a QD threaded main shaft would still be plenty secure while offering fairly rapid reloading, perhaps a few seconds per shot.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

I'm a bit confused on the dual caliber are you talking about having different barrels pointed different directions?

personally I think a single shot something would be fantastic. simple is sometimes beautiful. Its not like you wouldn't be able to follow up with a quick draw of the 38 in your front pocket if you needed to right?
Kyle O.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Dr.K wrote:I'm a bit confused on the dual caliber are you talking about having different barrels pointed different directions?

personally I think a single shot something would be fantastic. simple is sometimes beautiful. Its not like you wouldn't be able to follow up with a quick draw of the 38 in your front pocket if you needed to right?
Barrels are mounted at 90* to each other as a_canadian deducted.The point is a concealed weapon that would look natural in my possession.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Don't know what I was thinking about quick-detach for loading. If you actually need the cane, last thing you want is for it to be in two parts, fumbling while you try to reload. Besides which you'd still have to have a separate spring cocking mechanism, more complication. So maybe a 90* rotation to unlock, retract a couple of inches to expose chamber, cock hammer spring and trigger, load then push back together and rotate to lock. I'm sure there were lots of shotgun shell sticks made this way a century or so ago.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Capt. Link. wrote:
L1A1Rocker wrote:Are you thinking of a wooden (traditional) cane, or something more modern? It'd be easier to make if you go "modern" with it - but potentially more noticeable. Have you determined a caliber? If this is going to actually be a self defense weapon I'm sure you'll want something more than a .22 or .25. I think I'd start by looking at some canes and see what could be used to hide a firearm.
I am planning on building from scratch.I will combine metal with wood with possible inlays and engraving.I have on hand some of the worlds most beautiful woods large pieces of copper, brass & other metals.I think a rifle round in the stick and a pistol caliber in the handle would be unique.I have not settled on anything as I have been getting some good ideas.
Were I to build this I would opt for the .30 Carbine round. They even made a pistol
that chambered it ... regret I did not purchase it when I had a chance.

With semi-jacketed rounds in my M1A1 I calculated a foot pound punch that
exceeded that of a .44 mag round.

Or let's get really extreme and get a .50 'Ronnie Barrel' and really make a statement. :) :) :)

Really, thank you for starting this escapist fun thread.

Best.
grrifles

Post by grrifles »

How about 460 s&w. that way you can run 3 different calibers. 45 long colt, 454 cas, and 460

You could use same reamer for both.

Chris
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

grrifles wrote:How about 460 s&w. that way you can run 3 different calibers. 45 long colt, 454 cas, and 460

You could use same reamer for both.

Chris
You could do a similar concept with less recoil in 38 spec, .357, and .357 MAX.....but you know I like big bullets....even if they are traveling slow.

500 grain 458 socom at subsonic velocities is pretty mild to shoot.....and I doubt you will find anyone that has one like it.

Could you use a ring that slides or twists on the cane shaft to trigger the firing pin? Would certainly be more covert then a trigger hanging out of the side of your cane. I guess you could have a ring that slides forward to reveal a trigger that flips out.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

It would be feasible to set it up so a detent/safety would hold the ring/band in place to conceal a trigger. Once the band is slid forward the detent would release the safety and the trigger would hinge out into the firing position.
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

...If you are wanting a rifle cartridge, I think anything shy of a .50 BMG would just be ridiculous :wink: Just my $0.02

But seriously, I am excited to see this build in the finished state; great idea
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

This week I have been working on the mechanics of the device as I can't make my mind up on cartridge choice.One problem is to be able to cock the striker of the barrel you wish to fire.This should be able to be done in front of a person and not be detected.I gave this much thought and this is my ideal.A "cam" all you need to do is twist the barrel of choice and the cam will retract the spring loaded striker.It would work the same as a bolt action rile. This could also reveal a hidden trigger that is "timed" to the rotation.

I have also been thinking about the suppressor it must be thin but can be a foot long.The suppressor will act as a recoil reduction device if a super sonic cartridge like the 5.45x39 were to be used.A large bore wet can could be constructed but I don't know about the performance of a can built that way.

Let me share my cartridge dilemma.Its all about the balance of the cane.A small diameter high velocity round will need a thick barrel while a large caliber will limit or exclude a suppressor.A very heavy cane would be awkward to use so I must exclude the 50BMG.I have this picture in my mind after pulling the trigger on a 50BMG cane gun....20 foot of skid marks and me laying on my back with this huge protuberance pointing skyward. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Capt. Link. wrote:This week I have been working on the mechanics of the device as I can't make my mind up on cartridge choice.One problem is to be able to cock the striker of the barrel you wish to fire.This should be able to be done in front of a person and not be detected.I gave this much thought and this is my ideal.A "cam" all you need to do is twist the barrel of choice and the cam will retract the spring loaded striker.It would work the same as a bolt action rile. This could also reveal a hidden trigger that is "timed" to the rotation.

I have also been thinking about the suppressor it must be thin but can be a foot long.The suppressor will act as a recoil reduction device if a super sonic cartridge like the 5.45x39 were to be used.A large bore wet can could be constructed but I don't know about the performance of a can built that way.

Let me share my cartridge dilemma.Its all about the balance of the cane.A small diameter high velocity round will need a thick barrel while a large caliber will limit or exclude a suppressor.A very heavy cane would be awkward to use so I must exclude the 50BMG.I have this picture in my mind after pulling the trigger on a 50BMG cane gun....20 foot of skid marks and me laying on my back with this huge protuberance pointing skyward. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh what a braggart. But what about the cane/barrel??
Where did that go?

No wonder your blond icon digs you. :)
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

30 carbine would be right up your ally.....plenty of whammy without going overboard, not too big, not too high pressure.....just old school enough.

Should be a pretty straight forward chamber to cut with a boring bar if you don't have the reamer.
Scared_of_zombies
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scared_of_zombies »

I would think a suppressed .22 cane gun would be fun as hell.