Help me find and choose a 6" (!!!) 300blk barrel - Updated

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Help me find and choose a 6" (!!!) 300blk barrel - Updated

Post by dan9591 »

I finally got my stamp for a thunderbeast arms 30pss suppressor.

I want to go with a 7.5" barrel for this 300 blackout build. Yes, I've cleared it for warranty with this barrel length.

I will ONLY shoot suppressed through this setup. Pretty much just Remington 220 grain ammo.

These are the only 7.5" barrels I've found so far:

http://www.icearms.us/products.cfm?show=952
http://www.tacticalambush.com/75-300-BL ... p_169.html

I know Ice Arms doesn't have the best reputation and I have never even heard of tactical ambush.

Requests for info such as gas port diameter have gone unanswered. Just in case, I will run this with an SLR rifle works adjustable gas block: http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=84

Are there any other manufacturers out there with a 7.5" 300blk offering? Maybe a custom job?

Please do not suggest a longer barrel. I'm pretty set on 7.5". Build quality, manufacturer reputation, proper gas port sizing and concentric threading are obviously critical and I don't mind paying a premium price for a premium barrel, but I also don't want to spend $500.

Please help me on this one, guys! I've spent 3 months staring at my engraved lower searching for the perfect barrel and now that I have the can its even more agonizing!
Last edited by dan9591 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help me find and choose a 7.5" 300blk barrel

Post by eastern_hunter »

I bought a melonited CMMG 8.5" 300 BLK barrel before learning that they have a reputation for concentricity problems. Was lucky and mine is fine.

I also have a 16" barrel made by Paladin Machine Services. He has a great reputation and does beautiful work! Has done other things for me including a short 338 Spectre barrel and every thing he has done has been perfect! Paladin did many of the Teppo Jutsu barrels.

Were I to build another one ... would be done by Paladin! He isn't cheap ... but not in the $500 range either!
S4area51

Post by S4area51 »

If budget is not an issue, I would look into Rainier's Ultramatch(Shilen blanks I believe) BUT, they are 1" longer then your requested 7.5".
I have the CMMG WASP 8.5", and it runs like a top. I have read about concentricity issues, but I think they have all been addressed by now. Groups well with subs all the way to supers. (tested some 125SMK's and accuracy wasn't that bad :o )
EDIT; I have the CMMG 8.5" not 7.5(I don't think they make that length)
Last edited by S4area51 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

Well, I am rethinking this and I believe it is time to do something stupid...

7.5" is just too boring. I already have a 7.5" 5.56 AR and duplicating it in a different caliber is just not "enough".

So... I am going to go 6". It seems that Ice Arms offers the shortest commercially available barrel at 6.75". The added .75" doesn't really bother me, it's more their reputation and inability to guarantee anything.

I got in touch with a couple barrel manufacturers including Paladin and Lothar Walther (as recommended earlier in this thread) to start. Both are quoting around $400, which is OK for my budget. Any other manufacturers I should consider?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dan9591 wrote:Well, I am rethinking this and I believe it is time to do something stupid...

7.5" is just too boring. I already have a 7.5" 5.56 AR and duplicating it in a different caliber is just not "enough".

So... I am going to go 6". It seems that Ice Arms offers the shortest commercially available barrel at 6.75". The added .75" doesn't really bother me, it's more their reputation and inability to guarantee anything.

I got in touch with a couple barrel manufacturers including Paladin and Lothar Walther (as recommended earlier in this thread) to start. Both are quoting around $400, which is OK for my budget. Any other manufacturers I should consider?
$400 for a 6" 300BLK barrel? :shock:
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help me find and choose a 6" (!!!) 300blk barrel - Updat

Post by CThomas »

Op giving me a headache with his 6" 7.5 inch switching DERP.

FYI if you did go with a Paladin barrel. Do not get a barrel with an on/off button. The button gets fouled with as little as one round which makes the button useless unless you have a punch and hammer with you. I thought it would be cool to be able to make it a single shot if I wanted but quickly found out about it poor design.
Will_M
Silent Operator

Post by Will_M »

I have a guy who custom cut me an 8" from a Pac-Nor blank for $265. He would do a 6" no questions asked. It turned out very well and I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again.

PM me for info.
Last edited by Will_M on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

Bender - Yeah, they want $400 but will guarantee stability using 187 and 220 grain projectiles.

CThomas - Agreed. no on/off switch.

Will_M - PM inbound

What is the consensus on Houston Armory? They have a 6" in stock for $235 and it does look like they have a decent track record with short barreled 300blk...
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

dan9591 wrote:Bender - Yeah, they want $400 but will guarantee stability using 187 and 220 grain projectiles.
what twist? 1:4????

Good luck getting it to cycle at 6" . . . I guess if you only shoot suppressed you stand a chance.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

57fairlane wrote:
dan9591 wrote:Bender - Yeah, they want $400 but will guarantee stability using 187 and 220 grain projectiles.

Good luck getting it to cycle at 6" . . . I guess if you only shoot suppressed you stand a chance.
1:8. Yeah, I thought it should be faster, but everyone I have spoken to have said 1:8 is the way to go. Apparently Houston Armory has sold a bunch of 6" with 1:8 twist, but I can't seem to find too many reviews on them.

If I have Walther Lothar build it, I may insist on 1:7.

Yeah, it will only be run suppressed. I was thinking of a large gas port, around .10, and then taming it with an adjustable gas block if needed.
saigatechusa
Silent Operator

Post by saigatechusa »

dan9591 wrote:
57fairlane wrote:

1:8. Yeah, I thought it should be faster, but everyone I have spoken to have said 1:8 is the way to go. Apparently Houston Armory has sold a bunch of 6" with 1:8 twist, but I can't seem to find too many reviews on them.

If I have Walther Lothar build it, I may insist on 1:7.

Yeah, it will only be run suppressed. I was thinking of a large gas port, around .10, and then taming it with an adjustable gas block if needed.

My wilson combat 10.3" with pistal length gas system came with .108" gas port and it has a lot of dwell time

It cycles 108's with 10gr 1680 @ 1030fps perfectly w/suppressor

You may have to go even larger but limiting factor is the gas tube I.D around .115"
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Satern Custom Machining.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
thomasnelson

Post by thomasnelson »

eastern_hunter wrote:I bought a melonited CMMG 8.5" 300 BLK barrel before learning that they have a reputation for concentricity problems. Was lucky and mine is fine.
I also own a CMMG Barrel. I have had zero problems with it. Before buying I called CMMG and spoke with a sales rep to ask about the concerns of many about the concentricity issues. I was told that a few bad barrels made it pass QC but that problem has been corrected. He also told me that when I was ready to purchase, to call in and specify that the barrel will be used with a suppressor and they will hand select the barrel and verify it is 100% concentric before shipping.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

57fairlane wrote:

I have cut many AR 300 barrels down to 6.5" and tuned them to run good with and without a can with 220+ grn sub ammo.
That .5 inch less could be the limit of cycle or not without a can, I don't know as 6.5 is the shortest I have gone.
I do know a 300 blackout 6" barrel TC will cycle good though :wink: