9mm can

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

themonk
Silent Operator

9mm can

Post by themonk »

Looking for a 9mm can to go on a few GLOCKs. You guys have any recommendations?
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 9mm can

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Octane 9 HD, hands down!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

No doubt the Octane. :!:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Consider the Octane 45. Then you can use it on even MORE Glocks.
themonk
Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

Octane was not on my radar. What are the advantages of the Octane over the Osprey?
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

TiRant
NP
domestique

Post by domestique »

themonk wrote:Octane was not on my radar. What are the advantages of the Octane over the Osprey?

User serviceable. You can take the baffle stack out and clean it. You can also fit the Octane under handguards (if you are into that).
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Octane is definitely the top can out there. Osprey if you only shoot jacketed bullets and don't want to put elevated sights on your pistols.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

themonk wrote:Octane was not on my radar. What are the advantages of the Octane over the Osprey?
You can't clean the Osprey yourself. ( stupid) Octane is stronger , easy to clean and more versatile . No brainer

Only bad thing is Silencerco ripped off Henry/SWR who made it.( so it's hard to recommend anymore. )

The Osprey still blocks half the sights so no real advantage, the Octane sounds great on 22 and best for lead or dirty ammo or even shooting wet. ( huge advantage)
jh1990
Silent Operator

Post by jh1990 »

Emilio wrote:
You can't clean the Osprey yourself. ( stupid) Octane is stronger , easy to clean and more versatile . No brainer

Only bad thing is Silencerco ripped off Henry/SWR who made it.( so it's hard to recommend anymore. )

The Osprey still blocks half the sights so no real advantage, the Octane sounds great on 22 and best for lead or dirty ammo or even shooting wet. ( huge advantage)
They didn't rip off anyone. They bought the company and the designs. There was no wrong doing.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Octane 9 and Octane 45 cans are both wonderful cans ... and I do have both!

Can't even nit-pick them.
themonk
Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

Wow, I am glad I asked. Thanks guys!!
kassenz
Silent But Deadly

Post by kassenz »

The popular local suppressor guy, Chip at Cascade Armory recommends those Silencerco Octane's too
Stainless inside guts that form a liner under the aluminum tube, full auto rated.

I don't own a 9mm supressor yet. I'm no expert. I'm shopping for one too

Osprey is pretty sexy though.

I've been wanting a short Ti-Rant 45s. Works on 9mm, 40, or 45
Lots of pistons available. But only half the baffles are Stainless...
http://www.advanced-armament.com/Pistol_c_21.html

Liberty Mystic is worth a look.
Stainless, and no problem on a pistol or a 300 black AR rifle
http://libertycans.net/mystic/

If you want small, Brooks at Thompson makes a few tini, inexpensive, 9mm
http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=99

$350 9mm can with stainless innards.
http://www.huntertownarms.com/guardian9.php

So many choices....
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

jh1990 wrote:
They didn't rip off anyone. They bought the company and the designs. There was no wrong doing.
Do we have to pull up the original merger reply from Gary again?

They deceived , then fired Henry ( the golden goose) from the same new management that screwed up AAC . Both companies used to be it touch then went big corp.

What's not to love? your standards or are quit different than mine.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

kassenz wrote:The popular local suppressor guy, Chip at Cascade Armory recommends those Silencerco Octane's too
Stainless inside guts that form a liner under the aluminum tube, full auto rated.

I don't own a 9mm supressor yet. I'm no expert. I'm shopping for one too

Osprey is pretty sexy though.

I've been wanting a short Ti-Rant 45s. Works on 9mm, 40, or 45
Lots of pistons available. But only half the baffles are Stainless...
http://www.advanced-armament.com/Pistol_c_21.html

Liberty Mystic is worth a look.
Stainless, and no problem on a pistol or a 300 black AR rifle
http://libertycans.net/mystic/

If you want small, Brooks at Thompson makes a few tini, inexpensive, 9mm
http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=99

$350 9mm can with stainless innards.
http://www.huntertownarms.com/guardian9.php

So many choices....

Take Huntertown off the list and look at the SWR O9 and Liberty.
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

Octane 9 for clean-ability and awesome support from manufacturer.
Tirant 9 for quietness and lightweight.
Mystic for versatility and ruggedness.

Those traits are not necessarily mutually exclusive between those suppressors. I'm just pointing out where I think each excels. And yes, I have shot all three pretty extensively.
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

Another +1 for the Octane.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

Octane here as well...no complaints.
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

I own a Hunter Town Arms Guardian 9, Osprey 45, and Octane 45

If you are always going to shoot jacketed rounds and only on semi auto handguns, then I would go with the Osprey. You'll never need to clean it, but you can have Silencerco clean it for free if you feel the need to in a few years.

If you want to shoot cast lead or plan to mount the can on rifles, then I suggest the Octane. Unlike the Tirant, the baffles are all stainless so there are more cleaning options. Also there are more mounting options for the Octane than almost any other can, 3 lug is also a plus.

The HTA Guardian 9 isn't really a bad can, I got mine for $239.99 and it is decently quiet, but a bit long. the new Guardian 9's are out now and I believe are more normal in length. for $100 you can upgrade the Guardian to all stainless baffles. Its a good value option, but mounts are limited and not easy to just buy online, you usually have to have a dealer order them and then wait on them.

The Tirant is selling for crazy cheap from many SOT's right now, but it has some aluminum baffles, no three lug, and no 5/8x24 mount. I just don't see where it excels anywhere.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

The Tirant excels because as marcus99 said "quietness and lightweight". The TiRant is takeapart, it is quiet (last I saw more quiet than the octane), and lighter than the Octane and the Mystic. I own both the Tirant and the Mystic, while you can use the Mystic on a pistol, and it's not bad, I bought it for BLK and my AKS-74U SBR. I would get the Liberty Infiniti as a pistol can over the Mystic. Love my TiRant.
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

dtom29 wrote:The Tirant excels because as marcus99 said "quietness and lightweight". The TiRant is takeapart, it is quiet (last I saw more quiet than the octane), and lighter than the Octane and the Mystic. I own both the Tirant and the Mystic, while you can use the Mystic on a pistol, and it's not bad, I bought it for BLK and my AKS-74U SBR. I would get the Liberty Infiniti as a pistol can over the Mystic. Love my TiRant.
Tirant 9: 8.6oz
Octane 9: 10.8 oz
Osprey 9: 9.8oz

It's at the point of arguing over a feather's difference.

As for suppression, between the Octane and Tirant they are really about tied. Meter numbers change with ammo, temp, and elevation. The averages between the two could be higher or lower than the other on any given day.
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

laxguy59 wrote:As for suppression, between the Octane and Tirant they are really about tied. Meter numbers change with ammo, temp, and elevation. The averages between the two could be higher or lower than the other on any given day.
Have you shot an Octane9? Have you shot a Tirant9? Have you shot a Mystic? Have you shot them side-by-side on identical hosts using the same ammo? How about over a fairly extensive period of time, extending through various climates (40 degree winter to 80+ degree summer), on about half a dozen different hosts and over a dozen individual hosts? Have you also played with various ammo, including powders, primers, and bullets? Have you had a second set of ears there to compare your observations to?

Because I have.
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

Doesn't matter to me what a meter says, if my ears are ringing its too loud. I would suggest that the current Octane owners shoot a TiRant.

rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

marcus99 wrote:
laxguy59 wrote:As for suppression, between the Octane and Tirant they are really about tied. Meter numbers change with ammo, temp, and elevation. The averages between the two could be higher or lower than the other on any given day.
Have you shot an Octane9? Have you shot a Tirant9? Have you shot a Mystic? Have you shot them side-by-side on identical hosts using the same ammo? How about over a fairly extensive period of time, extending through various climates (40 degree winter to 80+ degree summer), on about half a dozen different hosts and over a dozen individual hosts? Have you also played with various ammo, including powders, primers, and bullets? Have you had a second set of ears there to compare your observations to?

Because I have.
I have both a Tirant 45 and Octane 45. And I can confidently say the Tirant performs a little better sound wise (according to my ears).

Did my ear testing on both 9mm and 45acp ammo; five different brands each. And used 3 different hosts total.

Tirant was much dirtier than the brand new Octane at the time... but my ears rang a few times with the Octane (9mm and 45). Never with the Tirant.

Tirant always had a pleasing lower tone. Octane has a sharper sound (maybe cause it was squeaky clean?). Hmmm, maybe K baffles really are better.

But regardless, will be mainly using the Octane more since cleaning is way easier, and has 5/8x24 mounts available.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

I have octane 9 , 45 , liberty mystic and Osprey.

Octane 9 is my go to pistol can
Mystic on 300 BLK. 3 lug mount rocks!

Osprey is cool but not take apart. 45 is doable on 9mm but 9mm can is a noticeably better fit.

If I had liberty infinity it might compete against the Octane for pistols. Dunno.... Until you try.