Handguards large enough to cover a suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Handguards large enough to cover a suppressor

Post by dan9591 »

I have been looking for a handguard wide enough to mount over a suppressor to achieve that "integral" look and thought my results may be useful to others.

Here is what I have found so far. They all have an inside diameter of at least 1.6":
http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/merchant. ... ION_KEYMOD
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-a ... -rail.html
http://quentin-laser.com/store/product_ ... cts_id=276
https://www.odinworks.com/KMod_Forends_p/f-12-km.htm

Anyone found other rails? What are you using now? How much space between your suppressor and the rail?
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Re: Handguards large enough to cover a suppressor

Post by seattlite »

Seekins BAR and Spikes BAR and BAR2.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

YHM Diamond and Most of their others are huge inside most 1.75"
https://yhm.net/12-58-diamond-series-fo ... ength.html
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

I have built a few using these handguards.

http://www.store-diamondhead-usa.com/V_ ... p/2131.htm

I can't recall the ID but it fit over a 1.5" od can no problem
07/02 behind enemy lines
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

http://www.headdownproducts.com/parts/p ... _rails.cfm

These are my favorite. Made by Seekins, very, very similar to the Seekins MCSR v.2. Key mod (despite old pics), and light weight (despite website copy). The 9" weighs 10 oz, 13.2" weighs 13.8 oz and the 15" weighs 15 oz, all with barrel nut. Basically, exact same as the MCSR, but with 1.5" of pic rail at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock at leading edge of the rail.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

It's funny to me that people are still doing this. Very 2011.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

My shooting technique involves reaching for out on the forearm. Without the under the handguard silencer mount, my SBR would be hell to shoot correctly.....for me.
este wrote:It's funny to me that people are still doing this. Very 2011.
Funny ha ha, or funny gay?
Kyle O.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Does it matter? It's este. :wink:
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

tsands974 wrote:Does it matter? It's este. :wink:
Why I never! I have no idea what you mean to imply! All I said was it's very 2011 ;)

And I wouldn't say funny as in gay, I'd say funny as in lameo. I know a few gay people close enough to me to know they wouldn't choose to set up ARs in a way that provided only a lot of negatives to the single positive of a longer area to put your hand - if - the heat wasn't an issue (on 556, I know it's not an issue with 300blk with the amount that anyone actually shoots).

I do get it for 9mm and 22lr, or on 5" barrels otherwise. It gives to the idea of the MP5-SD or a gun the size you might need a little more hand room. Although I'm 6'0" with long arms and have yet to have to cry about how short a 9" rail is. The number of people who will set their carbine up like this massively dwarfs the number of people who will keep it like this.

To be honest, I kinda like it really, it gives me a flag right away to make insightful guesses about that's persons abilities, thought processes, and level of training. :D (tsands saw where this was going)
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

It's all personal preference anyway. If I set up my stuff to "look cool" anyway then I'd be a mall ninja vs. a true shooter. :lol:

I'm still not finding any "negatives" about this setup though. At least with a direct thread silencer. Qd would be crappy to unscrew I guess. Heat isn't an issue, it is a hog killing gun, so a mag dump is about it.

Coming out of a truck window with a full length rifle with silencer from beside the console, is like juggling gandalf's staff in a phone booth. Then if I need to rest it on the rear view then I'm on the handguard instead of the silencer.

It's only set up like this on my 300BLK. I don't sport 223 shorties.

Is there something better I'm missing that came to light after 2011?
Kyle O.
bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bitfi3nd »

este wrote:It's funny to me that people are still doing this. Very 2011.
Also VERY HOT.
Bad idea in my opinion.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Dr.K wrote:I'm still not finding any "negatives" about this setup though.
You for real? Look harder. Cons:

You can't get to the muzzle to check or clean
You can't check or properly tighten the can/muzzle device without removing the rail.
You need a giant sized rail, while the best rails are trending far thinner.
Extra weight for no reason, you're "protecting" the suppressor that doesn't need protecting.
Can't safely shoot the gun without the can (well, you shouldn't anyhow)
HEAT. I don't care if this is a low use gun, if you train with your guns, they get hot.
Can't access gas block to adjust, which if this is a dedicated suppressed gun may be desirable
This "look" requires parts that may be compromise away from higher performance but exclusive specifications, too limiting

Pros:
Longer grip, which on 4-6" barrels is definitely desirable, on 8"+ rails is usually not needed.
Longer sight radius... on guns that everyone runs optics on anyhow

Well, that's me joking for when the trendsetters realized that this is just a "look" that serves no increase in function unless you have an exceptionally short barrel (AAC Honey Badger 6", 5" 9mm AR, etc). I mean, don't get me wrong, if anyone wants to go after a certain "look" for their gun, go right ahead!!! Just don't be surprised if people make assumptions about your decision making and skills ;)

I'm not seriously trying to detract anyone from doing this. I just think it's passé.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

The majority of your cons do not apply to my set up. I'm not sure what rail you've had these issues with, but the seekins rail I'm sporting on this gun seems very thought out, design wise. Not trying to start a pissing contest here, but I like this rifle. I've got a short one also from AAC, but I prefer this one.

Here are my reasons your con's are my pros.
este wrote:
You for real? Look harder. Cons:

You can't get to the muzzle to check or clean
Handguard removes in 3 minutes, just 8 screws
You can't check or properly tighten the can/muzzle device without removing the rail.
false, I built the can so it would hang far enough out to manipulate
You need a giant sized rail, while the best rails are trending far thinner.
I have long large hands, it feels very comfortable to me. I don't like the thinner rails. or cheese graters.
Extra weight for no reason, you're "protecting" the suppressor that doesn't need protecting.
Not concerned about can protection, but rather barrel deflection while resting on something to take a shot.
Can't safely shoot the gun without the can (well, you shouldn't anyhow)
Built this gun to use exclusively with silencer for hog killing
HEAT. I don't care if this is a low use gun, if you train with your guns, they get hot.
Maybe this is true but I've never had an issue with heat on this gun. I do a MAJORITY of training with a .22 upper set up the same way. Long rail, but standard length barrel.
Can't access gas block to adjust, which if this is a dedicated suppressed gun may be desirable
Easy access, at least on this rail, again it seems to have been thought out in the design phase
This "look" requires parts that may be compromise away from higher performance but exclusive specifications, too limiting
Not sure what you mean here. Everything works well on mine, and it's very accurate also.
Pros:
Longer grip, which on 4-6" barrels is definitely desirable, on 8"+ rails is usually not needed.
It really is personal preference, all my rifles have long forearms, better control on transitions for me
Longer sight radius... on guns that everyone runs optics on anyhow

Well, that's me joking for when the trendsetters realized that this is just a "look" that serves no increase in function unless you have an exceptionally short barrel (AAC Honey Badger 6", 5" 9mm AR, etc). I mean, don't get me wrong, if anyone wants to go after a certain "look" for their gun, go right ahead!!! Just don't be surprised if people make assumptions about your decision making and skills ;)

I feel you, not every set up is for everyone. Honestly, I didn't know it was a "trend". I saw the rail, and thought up this build on my own. Oh, and I'm never surprised when people make assumptions, I've come to expect that from the masses. :lol:

This configuration works well for what I do with it. As far as my decision making, I thought about most of these things before I initiated the project, and for my skills....I wished I could see all the dead pigs this thing has brought down piled together....it would be jaw dropping! But, I can see your perspective on having a rail that does include all the let downs you mentioned. And were it a high round count rifle that were used for training type stuffs, Well, I can see your point there.

I'm not seriously trying to detract anyone from doing this. I just think it's passé.
Kyle O.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Yea, ok..... Well, I'll let you guess how interested I am in arguing point for point.

Passé ;)
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

I did not think this was an argument. I'm sorry you feel that way.
Kyle O.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

After seeing that mutilated rail system from the muzzle device blast being too close and bending everything..... I would be wary of ending my barrel inside of a system like you describe. (Sorry, couldn't find the picture on the fly)

Imagine the hurt you could put on someone if they fired without a suppressor. Not worth the risk in my opinion. It is to be avoided.

I could see a distinct probability of me (or a guest) grabbing the rifle and forgetting the inherent danger of firing such a setup without the suppressor.
-----
Ick
IB Slingin
Silent Operator

Post by IB Slingin »

Dan, I recently put this 9mm SBR together using a TROS 5" 3 lug barrel and KAC 10" URX4 handguard.

ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

Back to the original question, the AP customs tubes are huge, 1.8 something, carbon fiber, any length you want, rails available at 12, 6, 9, 3, and somewhere in the middle. Mil spec barrel nut, three bolts to remove them.
Proper grammar is awesome.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

AP custom also has a new 17"
I'm interested in the longer handguards because I need the top rail space, If you run an aimpoint a magnifier and a PVS14 you need as much space as you can get. I know what you mean with heat, I had a FLIR unit overheat and shut down. If I bought the Larue top mount and a regular scope I guess I could dump the long handguards.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

YHM rail with either of a pair of Bowers cans that I own, on a 5" 9mm barrel.

http://youtu.be/b0PhM0Bfcj4

ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

Joker31D wrote:AP custom also has a new 17"
I'm interested in the longer handguards because I need the top rail space, If you run an aimpoint a magnifier and a PVS14 you need as much space as you can get. I know what you mean with heat, I had a FLIR unit overheat and shut down. If I bought the Larue top mount and a regular scope I guess I could dump the long handguards.
I've heard rumors of this super long tube, but it's not on the website. Were you able to find one somewhere?
Proper grammar is awesome.