Now available DIY felony kit

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

chevyman73

Now available DIY felony kit

Post by chevyman73 »

It seems all inclusive, maybe they even forward your mailing address to the local BATFE branch after purchase.

http://preppersdiscount.com/d-maglite-adapters.html
I'm not so good with the advice, but could I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Now available DIY felony kit

Post by Historian »

chevyman73 wrote:It seems all inclusive, maybe they even forward your mailing address to the local BATFE branch after purchase.

:) :) :)

"Brer Rabbit Tar Baby" - Song of the South:

<< http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vs2Fa18cVJ4/T ... r+baby.jpg >>
<< http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f4v3-UWxr9o/T ... rabbit.jpg >>
<< http://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content ... rabbit.jpg >>
<< http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tpyxQ_PiaQE/R ... arBaby.png >>
telero
Silent But Deadly

Post by telero »

chevyman73 wrote:It seems all inclusive, maybe they even forward your mailing address to the local BATFE branch after purchase.

Looks like more expensive (reselling?) versions of the SD Tacticals Arms stuff (http://www.sdtacticalarms.com/Hardware_c_8.html). I think SD Tactical Arms is the original, but doesn't put together a kit like that.
FarmDadCO

Post by FarmDadCO »

Kinda hard to unring the bell you know .
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Seems legit......As long as you don't make a silencer out of it.

It just shows how stupid stupid laws are. I'm all for a decent world. you know: don't murder, don't steal, don't rape, etc. but it gets kinda silly when you make an adult buckle their seat belt or get a fine. or you can't spank your child if he's acting a turd, or you go to jail. Or, you need to make a silencer to protect your hearing but without paying a $200 tax it's a felony.

sorry guys, I'll get off my rant, had a few too many hard ciders I guess. Carry on.
Kyle O.
chevyman73

Post by chevyman73 »

I'm with you Dr. K, make sure you wear your helmet too when you ride your bike.

I certainly see intent in this regardless of how they market it. It seems like a blatant 80% silencer to me, but I suppose they get away with it. Hopefully someone won't slap it on a rifle and cause an injury.
I'm not so good with the advice, but could I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Dr.K wrote:Seems legit......As long as you don't make a silencer out of it.

It just shows how stupid stupid laws are. I'm all for a decent world. you know: don't murder, don't steal, don't rape, etc. but it gets kinda silly when you make an adult buckle their seat belt or get a fine. or you can't spank your child if he's acting a turd, or you go to jail. Or, you need to make a silencer to protect your hearing but without paying a $200 tax it's a felony.

sorry guys, I'll get off my rant, had a few too many hard ciders I guess. Carry on.
Dr. K, well stated.

But in England Lord Thrashingham pays Lady Plushbottom to spank him when he
is 'a bad boy' and is 'sentenced to serve time' in Parliament. :) :)
Meche_03
Silent But Deadly

Post by Meche_03 »

$40 for a maglight
$90 for 2 endcaps and 6 freeze plugs
Cost of committing a felony by being uneducated = priceless

On a side note the freeze plugs should only cost about $0.70 each so maybe $5 out the door....that's some expensive "7075 mil-spec" end caps.

I get the whole solvent trap slight of hand but usually involves utilizing an oil filter or other off the shelf container.....not building and modifying an object not intended to contain a fluid while utilizing user added " chunk filters"
There is no problem which cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives. --
William W. Hughes

Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants-- William W. Hughes
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Given the government/ATF's inclination to outright ban things they don't like, all it's going to take is a Dorner or some hitpiece on Nightly News/60 minutes to get them to ban this stuff just like the 7n6 5.45.

You keep pushing the line and eventually the unregulated and unencumbered ATF will get its panties in a wad.
Meche_03 wrote:$40 for a maglight
$90 for 2 endcaps and 6 freeze plugs
Cost of committing a felony by being uneducated = priceless

On a side note the freeze plugs should only cost about $0.70 each so maybe $5 out the door....that's some expensive "7075 mil-spec" end caps.
I think the purpose of making a product is to make money on it . . . You can say what you want about the price but they aren't going to sell it for "what they've got in it". They have overhead with machines, building, employees, etc just like everyone else.
FarmDadCO

Post by FarmDadCO »

Figure a buck a piece for freeze plugs , if you buy a whole box thats 10 bucks . From SD tactical the end caps were $ 29 a piece and the centering tool about $20 . a couple of bucks for some pvc or conduit .
Thats a fairly effective suppressor for under $100 materials that anyone with a cordless drill can easily make . Now I am not recommending that anyone do it without proper permission from our friendly government overlords but I am encouraged that its bringing a level of availability that we haven't seen before to the market.
My local NFA pimp put one together and to my ear ( no test equipment other than a hand held phone with a sound meter app ) it pretty much does as good a job on .22, 9mm, and 300 blk as the low to mid priced cans out there though it is larger and heavy . I couldn't talk him into slapping it on anything FA to see how well that would go though lol .
Its sure not a snob can but its not entirely a slob can either .
I am about to form 1 my first couple of cans and i may well use a lot of the ideas used in this just for simplicity .
Meche_03
Silent But Deadly

Post by Meche_03 »

57fairlane wrote: I think the purpose of making a product is to make money on it . . . You can say what you want about the price but they aren't going to sell it for "what they've got in it". They have overhead with machines, building, employees, etc just like everyone else.
I understand making money, I've worked in machine shops for 18 years now. I just like the mark up on it. I got freeze plugs yesterday at O'Reillys for 70¢ per piece this weekend. Normally I see stuff like the end caps being used as beast work to make coin off of a machine and machinist that's not working a higher pay job.

Its the price many are willing to pay for convenience and if the shop makes money then all is well in that manner.

I would be more worried about people utilizing the parts without the correct paper work in hand.
There is no problem which cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives. --
William W. Hughes

Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants-- William W. Hughes
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

I am coming from the background that I knew absolutely nothing about machining before I got into silencers and form one submissions. I could definitely see someone who was in my previous situation taking an interest in this while still keeping it legal.

But, I know the spirit of this thread was there are going to be people that are likely going to break the law because of the ease of making.....performance issues aside.

on a side note....... I had spray foam insulation put into my shop and dropped a little window unit in there.
It keeps the temperature very comfortable. I'll be posting plenty of projects this summer because of that.
Kyle O.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Meche_03 wrote:
57fairlane wrote: I think the purpose of making a product is to make money on it . . . You can say what you want about the price but they aren't going to sell it for "what they've got in it". They have overhead with machines, building, employees, etc just like everyone else.
I understand making money, I've worked in machine shops for 18 years now. I just like the mark up on it. I got freeze plugs yesterday at O'Reillys for 70¢ per piece this weekend. Normally I see stuff like the end caps being used as beast work to make coin off of a machine and machinist that's not working a higher pay job.

Its the price many are willing to pay for convenience and if the shop makes money then all is well in that manner.

I would be more worried about people utilizing the parts without the correct paper work in hand.
:shock:
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

I'm almost tempted to file a form 1, get it approved, then be all over that web site buying all sorts of crap. When the ATF comes a' knocking - or when they blow your door off its frame and shoot your dog - and they find your mag-lite silencer, and get that "Oh we got you now sucker" look on their faces...

You sloooowly reach into a binder and pull out the approved ATF form 1. Then maybe sue somebody.

On second thought, nah. Not worth getting raided. But I like and appreciate the hardware despite the cost.
telero
Silent But Deadly

Post by telero »

I can't say that I'm really for or against these products, but as long as you have your stamp in hand, it's a pretty easy/cheap solution. If you've watched the SD Tactical youtube videos, he also points out an aftermarket maglite replacement body that doesn't have the switch cutout...made of steel...it's intended to use an endcap switch.

SD Tactical originally showed using PVC for the spacers, but now also has steel tubing available. The PVC or steel tubing and the freeze plugs are pretty spendy through his site, but the other stuff is reasonable.

Worst case price scenario (assuming you don't buy the spacers or freeze plugs from the site), you're looking at around $130 (plus tax) for a silencer that should be good for .308 (according to the videos)
$40 - Black maglite steel replacement body (http://www.shop.apogeeproducts.com/)
$30 - Black anodized end cap (could save $10 and anodize yourself, or use silver/stainless tube and leave raw)
$30 - Black thread protector cap (could save $10 and anodize yourself, or use silver/stainless tube and leave raw)
$20 - Centering tool for drilling freeze plugs
$10 - spacers and freeze plugs

Won't be as good as a commercial, or as difficult as a good homemade design, but will certainly be less expensive.
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cpy911 »

He has a disclaimer. I see nothing wrong with what HE is doing, just enables the illiterate masses more.

All our products are designed and sold with 100% COMPLETE COMPLIANCE AND COOPERATION for and with ATF and NFA rules and regulations pertaining to what would and could be considered a firearm. We do not promote, condone or advise ANY alterations and or modification of our products (to produce silencers or suppressors) for legal or illegal purpose. BUYER UNDERSTANDS THAT THESE ARE NOT SUPPRESSORS AND OR SILENCERS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. Prepper's Discount.Com is not responsible or liable in any way legally, financially or even morally for the actions of their customers. We assume and expect that ALL of our products purchased are used for their intended purposes and HIGHLY DISCOURAGE ANY alterations to ANY of our products EVER!. DON'T EVEN BOTHER ASKING US STUPID QUESTIONS ABOUT IT! Our Maglite adapter pages and products are for CLEANING PURPOSES ONLY. Please follow all local, state and federal laws at all times regarding ALL NFA and AFT rules and regulations. Please check with an NFA rules and regulations rule book (particularly section 2.1.7) or ask your local law enforcement department or your local BATF for further clarifications.
destrux

Post by destrux »

Baffled wrote:I'm almost tempted to file a form 1, get it approved, then be all over that web site buying all sorts of crap. When the ATF comes a' knocking - or when they blow your door off its frame and shoot your dog - and they find your mag-lite silencer, and get that "Oh we got you now sucker" look on their faces...

You sloooowly reach into a binder and pull out the approved ATF form 1. Then maybe sue somebody.

On second thought, nah. Not worth getting raided. But I like and appreciate the hardware despite the cost.

I doubt they'd raid anyone unless they were blabbing all over about building one illegally and they didn't submit a form 1. I mean, the ATF should know you just got a form 1 approved since they were the ones who approved it. Then again who knows.
DMY
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DMY »

cpy911 wrote:I see nothing wrong with what HE is doing, just enables the illiterate masses more.
Agreed. This is an invitation to attract the wrong kind of attention.

FWIW, my local gun shop sells the oil filter solvent adapter. I know those are looked down on here but you have more of a legitimate use argument than what's offered here. This stuff is a little bit of a stretch... but who am I to judge.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

Some of you are too paranoid. Seems like a legitimate option for those without many tools to make a legal suppressor with decent performance.
Shady

Post by Shady »

This is one of the biggest problems in the USA when people worry about what other people do. I am sick of people saving me from myself. If some fool buys the kit then uses it in an illegal way he gets whats coming to him.

How many people that read this form don't know its illegal to miss use the solvent traps.

The person selling the items is as guilty as a gun shop that sells a fire arm to someone that then uses it in a crime. and to be clear that is not one bit guilty Its the guy that miss uses the item that needs to be punished.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

I'm a libertarian, don't care what people do so long as no one else is hurt, or no one else's rights are misused.

That said, those components are a "wink wink" deal right along with ornate glass bongs and vaporizers sold with the note "Enjoy your TOBACCO with these fine products."

The bongs are for pot, these parts are for silencers, everybody knows it. To claim otherwise is a bit pathetic IMO, but they have to, because if they say "These are parts for building a home made silencer" then if I understand the law correctly, they themselves become instant felons. Intent of the maker, all that jazz.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Baffled wrote:I'm a libertarian, don't care what people do so long as no one else is hurt, or no one else's rights are misused.

That said, those components are a "wink wink" deal right along with ornate glass bongs and vaporizers sold with the note "Enjoy your TOBACCO with these fine products."

The bongs are for pot, these parts are for silencers, everybody knows it. To claim otherwise is a bit pathetic IMO, but they have to, because if they say "These are parts for building a home made silencer" then if I understand the law correctly, they themselves become instant felons. Intent of the maker, all that jazz.
+2

As usual words of profound wisdom from 'Baffled' who is never Confused.

As that great philosopher Jackie Brown, gun runner in "The Friends of Eddie Coyle " once said:

"This life's HARD man, but it's HARDER if you're stupid!"
upjeeper

Post by upjeeper »

so if a guy wanted to make this kit into a legal Form 1 suppressor, it would be in this order

1. buy the parts (leave as is, make no changes to it)
2. design the can based on those parts
3. submit Form 1
4. receive approved Form 1
5. make LEGAL can?

is that correct?
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

upjeeper wrote:so if a guy wanted to make this kit into a legal Form 1 suppressor, it would be in this order

3. submit Form 1
5. make LEGAL can?

is that correct?
yes, that is one way to make a silencer
Kyle O.
Shady

Post by Shady »

you can also just file for the form1 then when you get it get all the parts and slap it together. You do not need to furnish plans with a suppressor only the max final length.

upjeeper wrote:so if a guy wanted to make this kit into a legal Form 1 suppressor, it would be in this order

3. submit Form 1
5. make LEGAL can?

is that correct?