owners/shooters of TM Poseidon & TiRant 9S?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BearTHIS
Silent Operator

owners/shooters of TM Poseidon & TiRant 9S?

Post by BearTHIS »

I'm hoping someone here owns both or at least has experience with both. I realize this is a long shot. I'm torn between these two right now. I love the so called "artificial environment" idea sealed b/w wipes of the Poseidon but I can't fully visualize whether it is/feels significantly smaller/lighter than a Ti 9S. Pics would be awesome.

To add 1 more factor to the equation, an Octane 9HD is my only other 9mm silencer.
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Re: owners/shooters of TM Poseidon & TiRant 9S?

Post by Prince Yamato »

I tested both out before I went with the 9s. The Ti-Rant 9s is a quieter suppressor over-all. The weight difference between the two silencers is almost negligible- as in you won't notice a difference in how they balance on the gun. The 9s you can shoot all day long without having to change wipes. You'll need to change wipes on the Poseidon. I know the 9s is twice as much money, but you'll be happier with it in the end.

The Poseidon is by no means a "bad" can, but the 9s, just works a bit better.
Will_M
Silent Operator

Post by Will_M »

I have a TM can very similar to the Poseidon.

I would spend 3x times the money if I could go back and get the Ti-Rant 9S instead.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I have a Poseidon and a TiRant-like can (full size 9mm)

There is really no comparison in quiet between the two dry.

When the Poseidon is wet it gets closer to the full size can dry but not as quiet.

I bought the Poseidon as part novelty and part lighter, easier to swing noise "dampening" device for less than ideal situations.

There have been reports of cycling issues here and there with the Poseidon on some guns with some ammo and I tend to write these off as a less than firm grip but it's something to consider since the Poseidon doesn't have a LID/LCD.

Somebody else's picture of the Nano next to the Poseidon next to the GemTech M.M

Google has many more such pictures, some with guns https://www.google.com/search?q=thompso ... 45#imgdii=_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
GHEN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GHEN »

Will_M wrote:I have a TM can very similar to the Poseidon.

I would spend 3x times the money if I could go back and get the Ti-Rant 9S instead.
I think I have the same can (DBS) that I got a smoking deal on. This combo with the wipe is wonderful for about 3 rounds, after that...not so much.

Now I love it, if you are going to use this can on a gun in any operational sense it is great, as a range toy it has some limitations.

BTW I run mine on a G-17 with stock spring and get 100% reliability with 147 grain 9mm.

I realize this isn't a direct answer to the OP'a question but I hope you find the info helpful. I would buy this can again and since it is basically a Poseidon i hope that helps.

GHEN
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Honestly if you already have an Octane I'd go with the Poseidon. I have the Poseidon, a trident and an inbound octane. To me, the Tirant 9S is just a 3" shorter fullsize can (I realize that is contradictory, but I hope you get my point), but I haven't shot one. The Poseidon is a whole different breed that will be quiet for a few shots and super small, and then really loud and super small. It does take maintenance.

What I would do is mock them up in PVC and weight with sand if you can't find someone local with a Poseidon or a tirant 9S, but I doubt weight would be as much a factor as the diameter and length. I would certainly buy the Poseidon again, it is just cool. I wouldn't recommend either one as a first pistol can, but since you have an octane, go for it.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

There have been reports of cycling issues here and there with the Poseidon on some guns with some ammo and I tend to write these off as a less than firm grip but it's something to consider since the Poseidon doesn't have a LID/LCD.
This actually happened on my Glock 26 when I tested it with a Poseidon. I figured it was a fluke, but now that you mention it, it was a factor in me choosing the 9s.
Will_M
Silent Operator

Post by Will_M »

GHEN wrote:
Will_M wrote:I have a TM can very similar to the Poseidon.

I think I have the same can (DBS) that I got a smoking deal on. This combo with the wipe is wonderful for about 3 rounds, after that...not so much.

Now I love it, if you are going to use this can on a gun in any operational sense it is great, as a range toy it has some limitations.

BTW I run mine on a G-17 with stock spring and get 100% reliability with 147 grain 9mm.

I realize this isn't a direct answer to the OP'a question but I hope you find the info helpful. I would buy this can again and since it is basically a Poseidon i hope that helps.

GHEN

Mine doesn't cycle at all even with hot loaded 147's.
BearTHIS
Silent Operator

Post by BearTHIS »

jt526 wrote:Honestly if you already have an Octane I'd go with the Poseidon. I have the Poseidon, a trident and an inbound octane. To me, the Tirant 9S is just a 3" shorter fullsize can (I realize that is contradictory, but I hope you get my point), but I haven't shot one. The Poseidon is a whole different breed that will be quiet for a few shots and super small, and then really loud and super small. It does take maintenance.

What I would do is mock them up in PVC and weight with sand if you can't find someone local with a Poseidon or a tirant 9S, but I doubt weight would be as much a factor as the diameter and length. I would certainly buy the Poseidon again, it is just cool. I wouldn't recommend either one as a first pistol can, but since you have an octane, go for it.
That PVC idea is so simple it's stupid! By that, I mean brilliant. Even w/ full specs in hand I've been shocked how I felt about certain products weight, dimensions, and design once I actually had them "in the flesh", so to speak . This should be easy to do, thanks for the idea.
BearTHIS
Silent Operator

Post by BearTHIS »

If I'm honest with myself, no this would not be a particularly great range toy, and I know that. And the likely hood of me actually carrying it is also slim. And finally, the likelihood of me giving two fucks that I didn't hurt my tender ears in the unlikely event that I used either can in a life threatening situation is completely improbable.

I may just be reaching a stage where I have the basics and now just looking for odd/cool s--t to enjoy and yes, I'll admit, show off.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

It's a cool toy no doubt.

Build a solid base collection then get the toys JMOYMMV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895