would this stuff be safe?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

would this stuff be safe?

Post by vaeevictiss »

So i just came across this stuff. Must be a new item as ive never seen it at this site before.

Would it be safe to use in a can? Would make for a nice look and a good grip.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... &top_cat=1
Eyes Of Death

Re: would this stuff be safe?

Post by Eyes Of Death »

I seen Houston Armory had some cans with that at a gun show. I questioned them and it was custom made for them. LOL
They say; Idle hands do the devil’s work. So what’s my excuse?
helomech

Post by helomech »

Just my 2 cents worth, but I wouldn't trust it. Anytime a metal is worked into a pattern, like that, you can't help but introduce work hardening, weak points, and stress risers. Maybe for a .22 rimfire, but I personally wouldn't use it for anything bigger. Too many unknowns about it. I believe that type of pattern is achieved with a type of knurling (for lack of better words). Seems like a dicey idea on thin wall tubing that's going to be used in a high pressure situation (not an issue in low stress uses like handrails, etc.) But, I'm certainly no expert and could be wrong; that's just my first thoughts and opinion on it. Looks cool, but no way I'd use it.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

helomech wrote:Just my 2 cents worth, but I wouldn't trust it. Anytime a metal is worked into a pattern, like that, you can't help but intropressure hardening, weak points, and stress risers. Maybe for a .22 rimfire, but I personally wouldn't use it for anything bigger. Too many unknowns about it. I believe that type of pattern is achieved with a type of knurling (for lack of better words). Seems like a dicey idea on thin wall tubing that's going to be used in a high pressure situation (not an issue in low stress uses like handrails, etc.) But, I'm certainly no expert and could be wrong; that's just my first thoughts and opinion on it. Looks cool, but no way I'd use it.

I agree, but with that said....a design that incorporates spacers the full length of the tube wouldn't rely solely on the outer tube to contain pressure. To me, it is cosmetically appealing, but I'd still be careful with the application on the bigger stuff.
Kyle O.
helomech

Post by helomech »

Excellent point, Kyle. With thick enough spacer tubing, you could make up for any suspected strength deficiencies, except in threaded areas. But then a welded design would eliminate those issues too. For me personally though, I've waited too damn long for my first stamp to come back :evil: , to take any chances on anything that hasn't already been tested and known to work. If the situation were a little different, ie - no stamp requirement, I might be tempted to try it. But probably only for smaller caliber stuff. Then again, I'm new to this, so I tend to be a little cautious.
FarmDadCO

Post by FarmDadCO »

Engraving it might be real interesting .
WhiteDingo

Post by WhiteDingo »

FarmDadCO wrote:Engraving it might be real interesting .
Turn a portion of it smooth and engrave it around the circumference would probably work best. Or mill a small flat to engrave on.