How to initiate contact with sherif/commissioner

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Hanleyrtcc

How to initiate contact with sherif/commissioner

Post by Hanleyrtcc »

What I'm wondering is after you have your forms filled out and fingerprint cards in hand, how do you get the chief or sheriff to sign them? Do you call and set up an appointment? Just stop by the station? Also, do they do the prints at the station? Will he sign it and say "let's go do your prints" or is that a whole other place and process? It's my first form1 so I just don't know the process. Thanks.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Re: How to initiate contact with sherif/commissioner

Post by CMV »

This probably really depends on how big your SO is. Ours is decent size - 4th largest county in the state. They have a window in the main lobby & there's basically receptionists in uniform there that will tell you what to do/who to see with your paperwork. I'd just call during business hrs instead of wasting a trip to find out the person who handles that sort of thing only does it the 3rd Tuesday of odd-numbered months.

I took a long lunch to renew my CCW last week & found out the hard way they only staff the permitting office 9-11 on weekdays so I just missed them & have to go back.

Look into a trust & avoid the hassle. I did my own so can't recommend any particular place to go but I get sales emails from West Fork Armory all the time & there's a link at the bottom of them for $99 NFA trusts. Might be worth checking into if you plan on doing more than one or two.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Hanleyrtcc wrote:What I'm wondering is after you have your forms filled out and fingerprint cards in hand, how do you get the chief or sheriff to sign them? Do you call and set up an appointment? Just stop by the station? Also, do they do the prints at the station? Will he sign it and say "let's go do your prints" or is that a whole other place and process? It's my first form1 so I just don't know the process. Thanks.
All depends on the Sheriff.

Some require appts others do walk-ins.

Most PD's will do prints for you whether it be Sheriff's Dept or local police....be prepared to pay a little for the prints anywhere from $10 to $50 for the set.

I recommend showing up with the Sheriff's signature being the last thing you need before sending out the packet. That way he has your prints if he wants to run them to give you his blessing.
grrifles

Post by grrifles »

Ours you just drop it off. He will sign it they will call you then come and pick up.

Chris
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Same as the above replies. Ours we drop off (complete with fingerprint cards), he calls you in to meet you, signs and hands back to us.
Each dept. will be a bit different so calling ahead is a must.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
Shady

Post by Shady »

gave them to the person at the desk. 3 weeks latter call to find out the person that does the background check was on vacation. 2 weeks latter get a call to come and pick up the paperwork. I never saw the chief just the lady at the desk
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

Dress nice. Be prepared to answer questions like, "I didn't know those were legal, what do you want one for?" This happened to me the first time I showed up unannounced. I answered his questions and he signed them. After that I mailed them into the office along with a stamped self addressed envelope so they could send the signed copies back.

Randy
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
maccrazy2
Silent Operator

Post by maccrazy2 »

I set an appointment and had all my paperwork lined up. I had to sit down with the chief, commander and city attorney and explain why I wanted to buy a machinegun. I also brought pictures of my safe and a photo of me shooting a MG in a competition. They reviewed the paperwork and made sure it did not open the city to liability. Then he signed it and did my fingerprints for free. They normally do them by appt only 1 day a week.