Fist Pistol Can .. Help with decision please

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

timvan

Fist Pistol Can .. Help with decision please

Post by timvan »

Hello!
I am trying to decide between two cans, Ti-rant 45 or Octane 45. The Ti rant is $450 with a $200 credit and the Octane is $599.

I will mostly be using it on 45 and 40, would like to occasionally use it on 22. Is the extra $150 initial payout (plus piston credits) worth it for the octane?

I would rather buy an item once. $150 over a lifetime is minimal.

Thanks for any insight!

Tim
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Re: Fist Pistol Can .. Help with decision please

Post by dtom29 »

The TiRant has the best suppression of any 45 silencer. The osprey is second with the octane coming in somewhere down the line. The TiRant is take apart like the Octane and before the customer service kids take the computer from there mother... AAC's customer service has been just fine for those of us who have used it in real life, not just read about somebody's uncle's, brothers,wife's, second cousin on the internet.... :wink:
:lol: eagerly awaiting the flogging.
timvan

Post by timvan »

dtom29 wrote:The TiRant has the best suppression of any 45 silencer. .
When you say best suppression, any ideas of the actual sound difference to the Octane?
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

I have both 45 cans and have been comparing them against each other for the past few months, using different hosts and calibers. Tirant has mostly aluminum K-baffles and the Octane has all stainless steel M-baffles.

When shooting 45acp, they sound about the same. But with subcaliber ammo, the Tirant is quieter and more pleasant (deeper tone). There's less blowback with the Tirant also, which makes shooting wet easy and enjoyable. When I tried shooting the Octane wet, I ruined a nice shirt lol. The K baffle design is the best there is when it comes to backpressure, redirecting gasses, and creating turbulence inside the can. It's really apparent when it comes to sound and blowback.

Now on the other hand, when it comes to disassembling and cleaning, I cringe at the thought of needing to clean the Tirant, after about 1k+ rounds. Since most all the baffles are Al, they can't be just thrown into a sonic cleaner or a chemical dip to clean the layers of lead away. Unless you have a soda blaster, all you can do is manually scrub and scrape away with LOTS of elbow grease. Cleaning the Tirant can be a nightmare for several days. With the Octane, the baffles slide out easier from the tube, and then thrown in the dip for a day, done. Tube doesn't need much cleaning since it's internally shielded. I can easily go way past 1k rounds for cleaning intervals.

The stainless steel baffles should last most of a lifetime. Aluminum baffles will slowly erode and deteriorate, especially from all the manual scrubbing required to keep them maintained. Eventually the Tirant will have to be re-cored at some point. So in conclusion, yes I love the performance and use of the Tirant. But for the long run, I sadly realize that it's the Octane that will stick around. If only AAC made a bigger version of the Element2 for centerfire pistol calibers.
Last edited by rimshaker on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

What no fist pistol jokes? :-p
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Really? You clean your centerfire pistol silencer after a thousand rounds? Do you shoot a lot of 22 or lead through your TiRant? I'm just not seeing any reason to clean mine with more than twice that through it. But then I consider a little brushing off of the major build up as good to go on my 22 silencers. I really don't care if it's dirty, not OCD....
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

dtom29 wrote:Really? You clean your centerfire pistol silencer after a thousand rounds? Do you shoot a lot of 22 or lead through your TiRant? I'm just not seeing any reason to clean mine with more than twice that through it. But then I consider a little brushing off of the major build up as good to go on my 22 silencers. I really don't care if it's dirty, not OCD....
I used to be kinda OCD before I got into silencers. Used to clean all the guns after each range trip. Had no idea what dirty REALLY meant until I started shooting with cans :mrgreen:

1k+ rounds is a nice maintenance point. Although i may just join you at 2k rounds since I really hate cleaning Al baffles. But then again cleaning lead/carbon will be even harder by then.

How do you clean out your Tirant after 2k+ rounds?
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I don't/haven't cleaned it because a little carbon/lead just isn't a problem. From what I've read, there are guys that clean their silencers (and not just rimfire) after every trip to the range. That is just ridiculous. This is why aluminum baffles wear out, not from shooting, from grinding away at them because they have to be spotless for some reason. How will I clean them when I decide they could use it? The same way I clean my aluminum rimfire monocores, brush the lose buildup off and go shooting. They really don't have to be spotless. It's the same way with guns...more rifles and pistols are worn out from cleaning than are ever shot out. Hell, most guys spend twice as much time cleaning than they do at the range. I know a guy that won't go shooting if he doesn't have two hours to clean his guns after. I guess he saves a lot of ammo that way. This is just my thoughts, I know there are a lot of guys that were taught to clean everything after every trip to the range. Since I shoot at home off my deck I can and do shoot most everyday. Cleaning everytime I shoot would be unmanageable. This has also let me see just how much cleaning is really necessary. Let me tell you, it's not nearly as much as most people think. Even my AR's go thousands of rounds without a hiccup.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Brushing off some loose carbon flakes is one thing, but layers of solidified lead is quite another. The hills and valleys in K-baffles start disappearing after couple thousand rounds. Unless you have a soda blaster, how is all that lead ever coming off? The black middle baffles in the Tirant are the worst to clean.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

We used to drop our cans in PVC tubes filled with Break free CLP every few hundred rounds to keep the carbon down.I have used hot simple green mixed 50/50 with water and the lead turns to a soap like consistency for easy removal with a tooth brush no heavy scrubbing.I have used the Ti-rant in 45acp wet with pulling gel and all I can say is dam that is quiet.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895