AAC Cyclone vs Thunderbeast 30P-1

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

flyingbullseye

AAC Cyclone vs Thunderbeast 30P-1

Post by flyingbullseye »

I posted this over at snipershide but wanted to post this over here as well, figured there may be a few members here that don't venture over to the hide and I feel as if I can't get too much feedback.

So I've recently added the 30P-1 to the list that I'm looking at from numerous suggestions but I'm trying to get a feel for the difference in cost/performance between these 2 cans. Both are identical in physical dimensions and the thunderbeast is about 5oz lighter but costs an additional $350. The biggest plus towards the 30P-1 is it has better CS but how often would either need it?

All my research tells me that the thunderbeast is designed for long range precision/accuracy and owners of the cyclone basically say they have noticed improved accuracy with their cyclone as well.

So my question is if I go with the 30P-1 am I going to see a noticeable increase in accuracy and or added recoil/sound suppression over the cyclone? If the cyclone shoots 0.4moa consistently and the 30P-1 shoots say 0.15moa or better it becomes a no brainer, even if the cyclone is slightly quieter. However if the cyclone 0.3moa and the 30P-1 shoots 0.25 I feel I'd be wasting my money on the more expensive can since I could get the cyclone and pay for the tax stamp for less than the cost of the thunderbeast.

Anyone have accuracy experience between these two that could help me out?
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC Cyclone vs Thunderbeast 30P-1

Post by MJF1911 »

I can't even imagine how anyone could tell you what any particular can is going to do for accuracy on your rifle. I have an AAC 300TM and accuracy improved significantly on my rifle, but that came with an 16MOA POI shift too.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

They pimp TBAC really hard on Snipershide because the owner is a member there. They always said they were the best cans. Then one got metered next to a Cyclone and was like 10+ dB louder. I'm told they have improved the baffle design since then, but that should tell you that what gets recommended on the Internet is often not the best advice.

As to accuracy they are both fine. Plenty of TBAC shooters are happy. I have a Cyclone and shoot 1/2 to 1/3MOA with it on a TRG.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

I have a friend with a 30BA on a 300 Win Mag and its crazy how quiet it makes that thing. But Ive also heard the Cyclone on a few rifles as well and its pretty quiet too. Never gotten to hear the two next to each other though so I cant give opinion on that. I don't think you would be disappointed with the Cyclone and the money savings.
There are no "ex-Marines", just Marines who arent active anymore.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

MJF1911 wrote:I can't even imagine how anyone could tell you what any particular can is going to do for accuracy on your rifle. I have an AAC 300TM and accuracy improved significantly on my rifle, but that came with an 16MOA POI shift too.

16MOA shift?!? Wow. I'm waiting on a 300TM myself...hope it doesn't shift my setup that much.
Quiet Riot
Silent Operator

Post by Quiet Riot »

Is the Victory on your list of precision rifle cans? If you're looking for accuracy, noise and recoil reduction, and great customer service, my vote would be the Liberty Victory. My POI shift is 0.4mil, and I've noticed that my already-tight groups are slightly tighter with the Victory. What's more important is that there is no change in zero from removing and replacing the can for cleaning.

It is great for recoil and blast reduction, as well, making calling my own shots a lot easier. Most cans do this, but clearly the Victory does this well.

I posted my review in the Silencer Review subforum, but here's the link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhIQgWFQlhM
I'm TWANGnBANG on YouTube.
http://youtube.com/user/TWANGnBANG
flyingbullseye

Post by flyingbullseye »

Quiet riot, its not. I have looked into liberties offerings and know they are extremely quiet but to go with it my cost will just keep rising. There is a certain point that I have to just say no higher.

I'm just trying to make sure that if the margin of accuracy is nil to miniscule why pay the extra $350 to save only 5oz in weight. On the other hand if its noticeable it'd be worth the extra cost. Truly as far as weight goes I doubt I'd notice the extra 5oz on a 16.5lb rifle so the accuracy and cost becomes the most important factor then sound/recoil reduction second.

I just don't want to look back and either think I could have had better accuracy or more money in my pocket.

Am I over thinking this?
wtrski76

Post by wtrski76 »

POI shift can be directly related to the weight of the can as the heavier the weight on the end of your barrel is, the greater your POI shift will be from unsuppressed to suppressed. The 30P1 and Victory weight about the same, but the Victory is longer a quieter.
Deathray
Silent But Deadly

Post by Deathray »

I got to hear a relatively new Thunderbeast can on a .308 Accuracy International rig a couple of weeks ago. I should have written down the model number, because I forgot which one it was.

Honestly it sounded great (though many rifle cans sound great on bolt actions), and the setup had a very repeatable POI shift of 1 MOA down and 1 MOA left. It was a fairly large can, definitely bigger than my Phantom 7.62.
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

<--- Does not own a TBAC nor AAC

Thoughts for what ever they are worth:

- As a vestige of AAC way back when, this board is still highly AAC centric - good / bad / right or wrong? Your call.

- For some users attenuation is paramount. For others, it isn't. The focus at the 'Hide is on accuracy, minimal shift, consistent shift, low / no visible (dust & flash) signature, mounts (for non single point cans), weight, and CS. Attenuation of sound is way down on the list for most - esp for sub sonics. And yes, accuracy is tested and discussed by some very serious and skilled shooters that will fire several groups with and without the can, against other cans on the same rig, etc, etc..... again, accuracy IS the most important thing in LR.

- Some designs lend themselves better to certain applications. What rigs are you going to put this can on?

- My understanding of TBAC is they make a quality Ti product that is accurate and repeatable and have very good CS. That said, if you are truly interested in and your application is best served by Ti - you should learn more about the different grades of Ti and the best application thereof in manufacturing. Then contact the perspective suppressor company and ask them detailed questions about materials and processes used to manufacture.
kassenz
Silent But Deadly

Post by kassenz »

I finally got to try out a few Thunder Beast Arms suppressors at this years Suppressor shoot in Washington State.

The Thunderbeast stuff has a stainless/Inconel cone shaped thread adapter that forces the suppressor to center when tightened. Pretty Smart.
200 yards wasn't a problem with no ear protection on, with a 338 Lapua Barrett MRAD/US Optics 34mm. Hit a clay pigeon first try. Sounded like a Ruger 10/22 with no Can, except had much more recoil.

I haven't fired or owned an AAC Cyclone yet. We sold them at the gunshop I used to work at. Looks like a direct thread mount.
May require re-tightening after a few shots. I'm not experienced with them, but they also are Inconel, and well made.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

The first baffle in the cyclone is inconel. All else 316.
Not slighting the TBA, but we all know how proven the cyclone is. On the line at the 08 AAC silencer shoot a guy was shooting next to me w a cyclone. I was shooting an sd and as great as the sd is/ was the cyclone was even better.
I want a cyclone
NP