10/22 bolt buffer from Delrin

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CMV
Silent But Deadly

10/22 bolt buffer from Delrin

Post by CMV »

I made a new bolt stop pin from Delrin to help quiet the action a little. Is solid Delrin ok or do I need to drill it and use a metal core? Don't know how much strength is needed there.

Are there other simple/somewhat easy ways to quiet down the action noise? The hammer dropping & trigger resetting are really loud. It's a Timney drop-in trigger group if that matters.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: 10/22 bolt buffer from Delrin

Post by Capt. Link. »

CMV wrote:I made a new bolt stop pin from Delrin to help quiet the action a little. Is solid Delrin ok or do I need to drill it and use a metal core? Don't know how much strength is needed there.

Are there other simple/somewhat easy ways to quiet down the action noise? The hammer dropping & trigger resetting are really loud. It's a Timney drop-in trigger group if that matters.
Your fine with the solid delrin,have never seen a metal core used.
The bolt dropping on the barrel breech is a major source of noise without a cure I know of.You can reduce the noise and effort it takes to cock the hammer if you ramp the bolt and polish mating surfaces.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
aslap

Post by aslap »

I made one from a nylon spacer I got at Lowe's. I found a dull drill bit I had that fit the hole perfectly and Dremeled that down to fit. I've had the thing out of the gun several times and, from the look of it, I could probably have just used the spacer alone. There is not much in the way of wear on it and I shoot the gun quite a bit.
Tony
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Seemed to work just fine. Sadly action noise was unchanged from my little mod.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
paper9
Silent But Deadly

Post by paper9 »

I think the Delrin ones can found online. I am guessing that DIY is cheaper.
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

I just buy a 1/4 inch nylon bolt from Home Depot long enough to cut a piece out of the unthreaded section to make the buffer. Cheap and very effective. No need for drilling holes or adding steel.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Remind me whenever we can hook up, and I'll bring you a Tuffer Buffer.

They're all I use now; a little more give than delrin and would probably help quiet the action.

Byrdman
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

The Delrin works alright, the tuffer buffers work better for quieting the action. The Kidd buffers are probably quieter still, but I haven't tried one yet.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Al Paulson talked about machining an annular groove in the rear of the Ruger barrel to hold an O-ring
to help quiet the bolt slamming forward. He also spoke about what you guys are referring to on the back side of the bolt.

Volume I page 238-239.