Need opinions

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

theserxtremedays

Need opinions

Post by theserxtremedays »

First off I already have my form 1 in hand and have a second efiled that should be in hand within the next few weeks.
I am looking at building 2 suppressors, I've been doing research looking at designs etc for years now drooling over the day I would be able to own my own suppressors. The first that I plan on building will be a direct thread in .30 I want it to be capable of handling the occasional 300wm or 30-06 round but most of what I shoot will likely just be 308. My other form 1 will be a 9mm can I want it capable of handling subsonic 300 blackout but that would be the highest pressure round I plan on going through that. Both cans I plan on being 10 inches overall length and 1.5 inches OD.
This is where I am not 100% sure and my plans are not set in stone however. I have been planning on making the .30 caliber can a mix of titanium and stainless steel. With the initial 1 or two baffles being stainless steel which would also be the muzzle brake in the absence of the can. I was looking at Titanium due to weight, but the initial baffle out of stainless due to better wear and pressure ratings. Would I be ok with a Titanium tube or would I be better served with a stainless tube. Also the wall thickness I know I could probably go .050 for the wall thickness but do I risk stressing the can if I put many 300 WM rounds through it whereas I would be better with a thicker titanium tube or perhaps a stainless tube? As I understand it Titanium is about 40% lighter than stainless steel. I was looking at grade 5 titanium as I understand it that is a higher strength than the grade 9. The other issue I know is the heat transmission would I be better served to do something different than what I am thinking for heat transmission or is the main issue there the time to cooldown and not risk of failure?

I've included a few photos of some designs I am planning on partially using. The Red Jacket suppressor is the idea for using a mix of titanium and stainless steel with the initial two baffles being stainless and butting up against the monocore titanium baffle stack. I am considering a mix between the two baffle stacks I like the circular design seems like I could get good volume plus strength but I was thinking of adding a point to each to deflect more air as it came past. Any information or wisdom you would like to pass down to a newbie would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Need opinions

Post by Bendersquint »

I wouldn't go with a .050" wall for .300WM.

Too thin and asking for problems.
theserxtremedays

You think a 0.75-0.1 would be sufficient? What about Titanium vs stainless steel?
I do plan on also buying a silencerco Saker to use on my AR10 and my 300blk when I'm shooting semi auto I don't honestly plan on shooting my 223 calibers suppressed much but you never know. The .30 caliber form 1 can would be primarily for bolt action.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

FWIW, there is a forum here specifically for these questions...and all of what you're asking has been hashed out, re-hashed, and answered before over there.

Check out the 'Silencersmithing' forum and sniff around. Lots of good info, and lots of folks that love to help. (a few that like to give out wonky info, but you have to separate the wheat from the chaff in anything on the internet...)

Your .30 cal can would be fine with a stainless blast baffle (what kind of stainless? There are many of them, with different properties) and a Ti tube (Gr5 IS stronger, but damn near impossible to find in tube...bore out a slug of it at your own peril!) If you only 'occasionally' shoot .300WM, through it, you still have to build it to be able to handle those pressures. Most recommendations for tube wall thickness say .065 to .075 to balance weight and durability; I'd not shoot a .30 cal can with .065 walls on a magnum unless it had at least 22" of barrel.

Sniff around the Silencersmithing forum and ask your questions there. You'll see a whole lot of designs that are much better than the Red Jacket stuff. I certainly wouldn't put them on a pedestal for anything except maybe marketing and hype.

Byrdman
theserxtremedays

Thank you I didn't realize until last night I had posted in the wrong forum, I'm not sure if there is a simple way to move this to there. I agree there are vastly better designs than the red jacket design what I was referencing from their photo was how there was two separate pieces in the baffle stack perhaps 3 in their photo, but my thought was to have one part being stainless steel and the rest of the baffle stack being Titanium. I was looking at using grade 5 but as you mentioned its nearly impossible for that reason I had wondered if I would be better off to just use stainless steel. If I am shooting 30-06 or 300 win mag it will be out of a barrel at least 22 inches for sure even the 308 I am planning on building will be a 22-24 inch barrel. I appreciate the info and knowledge being passed on.