WI Rep. Sensenbrenner proposes eliminating the BATFE

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

plodder
Silent Operator

WI Rep. Sensenbrenner proposes eliminating the BATFE

Post by plodder »

On Wednesday WI Representative Sensenbrenner formally announced his plans to introduce a bill that would eliminate the BATFE, delegating its duties to other agencies.

While I certainly agree with the sentiment and stated goals of the proposal, I can't help but have reservations against the portion of the proposal that spells out that the "F&E" portion of the agency's duties would be turned over to the Department of Justice (particularly the current Department of (in)Justice). I can't help but think that if the proposal were to ever be enacted (extremely doubtful), the un-elected career bureaucrats would tinker with existing laws and regulations during any transition to make them even more onerous.

Thoughts on whether this proposal should be supported from a NFA "stamp collector's point of view?
Still awaiting an original & riveting thought for signature line; stand by...........
danb35
Silent Operator

Re: WI Rep. Sensenbrenner proposes eliminating the BATFE

Post by danb35 »

plodder wrote:I can't help but have reservations against the portion of the proposal that spells out that the "F&E" portion of the agency's duties would be turned over to the Department of Justice (particularly the current Department of (in)Justice).
ATF is already part of DOJ. Do you think this would make a difference?
plodder
Silent Operator

Re: WI Rep. Sensenbrenner proposes eliminating the BATFE

Post by plodder »

danb35 wrote:
plodder wrote:I can't help but have reservations against the portion of the proposal that spells out that the "F&E" portion of the agency's duties would be turned over to the Department of Justice (particularly the current Department of (in)Justice).
ATF is already part of DOJ. Do you think this would make a difference?
Right you are. I should have said that the "F&E" portion would be turned over to the FBI, which is of course also another bureaucratic agency of the Dept. of Justice.

The point is, I would be very wary that during any transition some enterprising, enthusiastic & misguided bureaucrat could write & insert new and onerous rules without the direction of our elected representatives. Generally though, I like the idea of pulling the plug on as many governmental agencies as possible.
Still awaiting an original & riveting thought for signature line; stand by...........