Metal sourcing

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

theserxtremedays

Metal sourcing

Post by theserxtremedays »

I have two form 1's in hand now and am slowly moving forward with my plans, I am using a idea I saw from john.t.little1 on his TI-30 can I have found sources for grade 9 titanium and grade 5 bar without issue and a wide variety of Stainless steel if I wanted to go that route for the cones. Would there be any significant wear advantage to having the first baffle be Stellite or Inconel, if so does anyone have a source for it and is it cost prohibitive?
As it stands right now I am planning on having a 10" tube .065 thick ID of 1.5, 10 baffle cones 60 degrees .075 thick for the first one and the rest probably .065, 4 1" spacers and 5 0.5" inch spacers as well as one 1.58 in the beginning for the blast chamber. I want to be able to mount this on my 300 win mag in the off chance I decided to suppress it although it will primarily live on my 308 rifle. I planned on making the spacers and tube of grade 9 titanium and the cones of grade 5, both ends threaded in the off chance I ever need to service it, as well as the ability to change the mount in the unlikely chance I want. I was thinking 0.5" of threaded length and possibly making a tool to disassemble if need be. Would 0.02" be enough clearance between the baffles OD and the tubes ID for it to be servicable without the need to use a press to insert the baffles and spacers? Thank you again for all the info and wisdom people have input so far with various questions.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Metal sourcing

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I know someone here did a very nice Form1 30 cal silencer that had an inconel blast baffle. He wound up using a plasma cutter to part it from the stock. That stuff is TOUGH! I know there was discussion about where to get the inconel but I kinda skimmed that part because I wasn't looking into getting any. I'll see if I can find that thread. . .

Found it, it was the one done by Dr. K. A most excellent build: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=124026
theserxtremedays

Thanks for that L1A1Rocker I may just nix that idea, I wish finding hard facts wasn't so complex I was looking at 17-4 vs 316 stainless and a few others trying to figure out if I may be better off to use stainless steel for the baffles since its a bit easier to machine and is strong and durable against corrosion etc, I could harden and coat it or anodize it after. It seems like one person says one type of stainless is superior and another says the opposite and both show evidence of why they are right. Right now I am leaning towards 0.065 thick 60 degree cones made of 17-4 stainless steel. This likely will not be having any high rate of fire so I don't anticipate extremely high temperatures in it. I've done google searches and read thread after thread over the past few months driving myself crazy at times trying to find the factually accurate information.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

You can't go wrong with 17-4.

Just make sure you get it heat treated after machining.
theserxtremedays

Thanks bendersquint I appreciate it, got my materials all ordered I couldn't do this without all the wisdom and knowledge I have been able to glean from people far wiser than I will ever be.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Just make sure you use lots of flood coolant with the 17-4!
theserxtremedays

Yes sir! After I successfully build this one I have that form 1 approved for my 9mm suppressor for my carbine.