Original MAC 10/45acp suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dtu2179

Original MAC 10/45acp suppressor

Post by dtu2179 »

Does anyone have experience with these ? How effective are they? Are the wipes hard to find/replace/expensive? Planning on picking up a ps MAC and would like to get an original suppressor with it, but only if it won't be a huge pain and/ or ineffective.

Any input is appreciated.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Re: Original MAC 10/45acp suppressor

Post by twodollarbill »

I own two original powder springs, both have RPB suppressors.
I wish at the time I had bought them (early 80's) I had tried to find original MAC suppressors.
Collector value aside....I would opt today for a MK9 design.
The original Sionics suppressor for the MAC is to most here...very old school.
It's larger rear tube expansion chamber is filled with grommet eyelets.
The forward tube has a couple of M baffles and spiral diffusers.
The endcap assembly contains a couple of urethane discs (wipes) that are
fairly effective in aiding in suppression, but after about 10
rounds fired there is a good size hole through those discs.
The MAC is literally a bullet hose and while the suppressor does suppress,
it's real advantage is giving the shooter a more stable forward grip.
I always thought that shooting a MAC without a suppressor attached was inherently dangerous.
With the suppressor attached (and practice) it is a very effective "bullet hose".

For your question about wipes...they are very easy to make out a 1/4" thick sheet of urethane.
WC
Silent But Deadly

Post by WC »

Go over to uzitalk.com and visit the MAC forum. All you could ever want to know is found there.
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

A properly maintained original Sionics two-stage can with fresh wipes is the quietest suppressor I've ever heard on an M11/9...and I've heard half a dozen different suppressors on an M11/9.
Smokecloud

Post by Smokecloud »

I have an original MAC scionic suppressor in .45. I started looking into having Gemtech convert the internals to a more modern system, but decided against it later. The MAC-10 is such a loud clack box, that a quieter suppressor isn't going to make that much difference. Most of your noise that is left over is the huge bolt slap on closing. The other plus is for these old style cans, is that they are less prone to baffle strikes if the can comes loose, its basically a tube inside that the bullet would just ride down.

Gemtech sells a Viper that is quieter, and it looks close to the original can, but I just like the look of the original setup. With good wipes, its very quiet. There is a ton of information available over on the MAC Forum.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/forumdisp ... AC-10-Talk
dtu2179

Post by dtu2179 »

Thanks a bunch. I think I will go newer style then and maybe get one that I can also use on my .45 handguns and .40 handguns.

Thanks
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

dtu2179 wrote:Thanks a bunch. I think I will go newer style then and maybe get one that I can also use on my .45 handguns and .40 handguns.

Thanks
Make sure it is rated for Full Auto. :lol: