NFA Marking question

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

wp6529
Silent Operator

NFA Marking question

Post by wp6529 »

Related to an SBR in this case, but generally applicable to any NFA marking.

Is it ok to split the name of a trust onto two lines in order to allow the use of larger text? I read the specs in the ATF NFA doc and don't find any prohibition on splitting the name.

i.e.

J. J. Jones
N.F.A. Trust
Chicago, IL USA

vs.

J. J. Jones N.F.A. Trust
Chicago, IL USA

In order to fit in the usual left magwell location on an AR type lower the wide version would have to be rather small type, within the ATF 1/16" minimum spec, but rather small and crowded visually. Splitting to two lines allows for a more readable type size. This is for CNC engraving rather than laser so ultra thin lines in the type are more difficult.

Thanks!
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Re: NFA Marking question

Post by c5_nc »

It should be, another alternative is to simplify your trust name, like "JJJ Trust"
srs
Silent Operator

Post by srs »

c5_nc wrote:It should be, another alternative is to simplify your trust name, like "JJJ Trust"
Can you modify the trust name by addendum, like when you add a trustee?
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

srs wrote:
c5_nc wrote:It should be, another alternative is to simplify your trust name, like "JJJ Trust"
According to one of the attorney's that markets their services for "NFA" Trusts they said no, not after one item is approved on it. Most people engrave prior to applying, so I'm assuming it is possible for the original poster.
wp6529
Silent Operator

Post by wp6529 »

c5_nc wrote:
srs wrote:
According to one of the attorney's that markets their services for "NFA" Trusts they said no, not after one item is approved on it. Most people engrave prior to applying, so I'm assuming it is possible for the original poster.
I have 8 approved F1s, and am planning to submit a couple more. I'm fine with the trust name and it fits fine on silencers, but I'd like to just split it to two lines for the SBR to allow a larger more readable font. I also considered rotating the text 90 degrees so it all fits across the vertical axis. Just trying to figure out what is the most readable and visually appealing option that fits the regs. The regs seem to be fairly loose, just readable without a magnifying glass and deep enough to not wear away more-or-less.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

In my mind, if the requirements are satisfied, then you are good to go. The English language is made to be written on the next line down if no room to finish writing. My opinion.
Kyle O.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

As long as all the information is there you are fine. You can put it all in one line with no spaces or stacked words.

All that matters is that the information is engraved.