Old Sionics can questions

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Old Sionics can questions

Post by Tony M. »

I've got an old sionics can on the way. The F4 should be approved any week now.

I know that the technology is old, the cans are ugly, heavy etc. But honestly one of the complaints I hear the most is that you have to hold onto the can when shooting, or it'll back off and you'll have a loose can asking for baffle strikes.

With that being the case, and the relative rarity of guns threaded for 3/4x10, I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to loctite the 1/2x28 adapter into the can, and just have the M11 barrel threaded 1/2x28. Then I could use the can on other hosts, and with the coarse threaded adapter loctited in place, not have as much worry about the can unscrewing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

It shouldn't be an issue with NFA since the loctite is removable, it's not a permanent alteration and is no different in practice than using the same thread adapter without the loctite.

I hear the eyelets are a PITA to get back into their chamber, so I'd probably be best served leaving them alone. That said, I'm likely to be shooting mostly subsonic lead reloads through the can. Is there anything special I should do to clean the spiral baffles etc? Is there anyone who might anodize the old spirals for a reasonable price?
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Re: Old Sionics can questions

Post by twodollarbill »

Correct that it is an older style can....but they do suppress nicely.
If you shoot sub-sonic rounds...the weapon's bolt makes more noise.
As for complaints about holding on too the suppressor.....I think that is a benefit.
It is far more safer and more accurate to shoot it that way then just using that hanger strap.
As for unscrewing, if you have a grip on the suppressor...you will know if it is working loose.
Forget Loctite - not needed.
As for the rear tubes internal "eyelets" don't even worry about them.
I've been shooting an M10 RPB mfr. Sionics for decades and only clean it occasionally.
The forward endcap assembly's wipes are easily replaced by cutting
new ones out of a sheet of 1/4" thick urethane.
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

- Original Sionics cans sounds great.
- The end of the barrel isn't really thick enough to thread to 1/2x28...there won't be much of a shoulder.
- Don't shoot lead through that nice old can.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

marcus99 wrote:- Original Sionics cans sounds great.
- The end of the barrel isn't really thick enough to thread to 1/2x28...there won't be much of a shoulder.
- Don't shoot lead through that nice old can.
I'm looking forward to the old can. It should be here any time (the Mg will probably be this time next year) I'll be using it on other stuff in the mean time.

People thread M11 barrels for 1/2x28 all the time to use with other suppressors. Am I missing something? or is it the weight of the sionics can that you're thinking would cause a problem?

I'm looking for ways to simplify the cleaning, but lead is happening, no question there at all.
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

teflon tape and a strap wrench has worked well for alot of years
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

Tony M. wrote: People thread M11 barrels for 1/2x28 all the time to use with other suppressors. Am I missing something? or is it the weight of the sionics can that you're thinking would cause a problem?
Yes, some people thread the tips of the stock M11/9 barrels to 1/x28 so that in essence the barrel has dual threads; 3/4x10 and 1/2x28. The problem with threading the tip as I discovered through research and asking those "in the know" is that the M11/9 barrel is either just barely thick enough for an adequate shoulder or just barely too thin for an adequate shoulder...i.e. I got varying answers. So the conclusion I came too was that it's a grey area. So I didn't do it. YMMV.