12 gauge suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

12 gauge suppressor

Post by BCJ »

I just joined the sight but I've been reading posts here for the past year and a half when I started doing form 1 suppressors. I've recently finished my 10th form one can for a 12ga.

2" diameter x 11" long. I used tapered cone baffles to act as chokes so anything with a wad is good to go. The mount is 304ss with saiga threads and the rest is aluminum (still the in raw state at time of pictures). I just use a small grizzly hobby lathe.

I have 100 rounds of various bird shot through it so far. I've just use a externally threaded choke to stick in on different shotguns

I'll take pics of the finished baffles later but here's the original drawing to give an idea of what's going on inside. Basically a revers k baffle as the expansion chamber, there are slots in the walls to let gas expand but the shallow cone forces the wad to close

You tube
http://youtu.be/cXq9_9J7LiM

I figured this was the proper way to introduce myself to the forum.
Other projects so far have been:
458 Socom integral bolt action
510 Beowulf integral bolt actions (50 bmg billets)
A few 22 suppressors
Integral bolt action 223
Integral 20 gauge
Integral 410
Compact 223 with muzzle brake attachment
Last edited by BCJ on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Re: 12 gauge suppressor

Post by twodollarbill »

Very Nice.
This section requires pics of your project disassembled 8)
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

I'll snap a picture next time I take it apart.

Here's some pics if other completed projects
Ruger mkii

510 beawulf - reflex suppressor is all 304ss

Stainless 22 can - 5" long

5" long 223 suppressor (before blast and cerakote) and a muzzle brake I made to be the sacrificial first baffle. Just basic 60 degree cones

My wife with my 223 integral

A very simplistic 20 gauge suppressor
dred

Post by dred »

Nice Can ! I have a 12 inch S12 that baby would look sweet on. You turned all those parts on the Grizzly Hobby Lathe, are you talking the Hobby Lathe with the Drill ?
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Nice work,

Do you have more pictures on the shotgun cans?

Gunny
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

dred wrote:Nice Can ! I have a 12 inch S12 that baby would look sweet on. You turned all those parts on the Grizzly Hobby Lathe, are you talking the Hobby Lathe with the Drill ?
I turned everything on a grizzle 10x22 lathe. The hardest thing so far was the internal threads on the 12ga tube since I had to use a steady rest and pretty much the full travel of the lathe

I have a 12" saiga also, but I hadn't stuck to can on that one yet. So far just the pump guns

The S12 was a form one. I was able to get it running low brass bird shot without moving the gas block back
dred

Post by dred »

BCJ wrote:
dred wrote:Nice Can ! I have a 12 inch S12 that baby would look sweet on. You turned all those parts on the Grizzly Hobby Lathe, are you talking the Hobby Lathe with the Drill ?
I turned everything on a grizzle 10x22 lathe. The hardest thing so far was the internal threads on the 12ga tube since I had to use a steady rest and pretty much the full travel of the lathe

I have a 12" saiga also, but I hadn't stuck to can on that one yet. So far just the pump guns

The S12 was a form one. I was able to get it running low brass bird shot without moving the gas block back
When you had said Hobby Lathe I thought you meant the hand drill type made by Grizzly. My S12 was tuned by Jack Travers he also moved the gas block back about 1.7 inches. I did a Form 1, cut her down to 12 inches about a year after, she cycles everything. Love the 12 gauge can you made, nice looking S12 also. Can you post more pics of the internals.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Found an interesting old patent online that could have great use in 12 ga silencers as well.
Developed for shotguns long ago but has great potential.

System was also used in CH for gas gun grenade launchers where the gas of th blank is regulated for throwing the teargas grenades.

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis. ... 0344-0.png

Gunny
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Welcome to the forum BJC! Very good to see someone off to an enthusiastic start. It looks like you are interested in a little experimentation. We might be able to shave some weight off of some of your cans and hopefully gain you a little performance in addition to lightening them up a bit. Very interested to see your 12 gauge design. the drawing looks like an elegant solution to the wad expansion problem...again I think with a few mods you could loose a little weight and gain some performance.

Well done and again welcome.

Also curious to to see your 458 integral, have you posted it in another thread?
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

Here's the 458 integral. I'll have to take pics of internals next time I take it apart. Its a savage action so I just made a custom barrel nut that is also the rear suppressor mount. All pinned and welded.

I have several commercial cans also and mine aren't any heavier than those with the excition of the compact 223 and 510 can. Those wet on purpose since the 223 spends all its time on my 11.5" and 7.5" and I used thickness to help fight off erosion in addition to the muzzle brake mount. The 510 is heavy since the whole gun is heavy anyway and it lessens the recoil of the 650 grain bullets. In general is shoot subs but it has the case capacity and pressure rating to handle supersonic rounds too.

My 12gauge suppressor has some gas channels to redirect flow where the wad closes at each baffle - not shown in the drawing. The drawing was just a quick one to figure out my spacing

daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Ok, sounds like maybe you have already done some of the things I was going to suggest just from looking at your drawing.

Any issues with accuracy/POI shift on the 12 gauge? I could see how if every baffle wasn't perfectly in line it could easily change the flight of the wad.
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

Surprisingly there was no change in pattern or POI with the 12ga suppressor. I shot a pattern board with and without the can at 15, 20 and 25 yards. The pattern at each distance was equal with and without. It's an improved cylinder choke so its a large pattern but works pretty good
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Great, glad it is working well, very interested to see your finished baffles.

Have you tried it with a variety of loads yet?....buckshot, slugs?
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

Only various bird shot so far at the local skeet range. I might give some slugs a try when I'm out at my land next time
saigatechusa
Silent Operator

Post by saigatechusa »

Rifle furniture looks great also
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Great work!
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

Added pictures of the completed internals to the original post. I finally had it apart to blast before cerakoting
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

BCJ wrote:Added pictures of the completed internals to the original post. I finally had it apart to blast before cerakoting
Thank you for the update, looks great.
The 2 half shell spacers go around the blast chamber I guess.

Did you make a light angle inside each cone to keep closing the wads?

Gunny
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

Yea, the split shell goes around the blast chamber to keep it easy to take apart.
The baffles have a .75" thru bore and an 8 degree taper at the face to reclose the wad. The blast cone is 30 degrees. There are gas channels on the opposite side of the baffle to help direct gas away from the wads
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

High temp cerakote is done and ready to reassemble.
You can kind of see the gas jets in the baffle
sickasssig
Silent Operator

Post by sickasssig »

This is awesome keep up the good work 12 gauge can looks great how about some more videos of these
:evil: hey watch this
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Again...Very Nice!!
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Nice work again, thanks for the pics of your internals on the 12 gauge. I have not spent a lot of time researching 12 gauge suppressors, is this your own design or is it based on a commercial can? Don't remember seeing a thread on can for a 12 gauge, so I am guessing this is your work.
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

This was my idea to get away from the ported tube design but keep the wad closed
Hannibalbarca
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hannibalbarca »

Can someone with a paid photobucket account reupload these photos using some anonymous image hosting site or Imgur?