Conjugal visits?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

jwise
Silent Operator

Conjugal visits?

Post by jwise »

So, I purchased an AAC TiRant 9 a few weeks ago from a local shop. The shop also opened a shooting range just outside town. I hadn't made the trip out there yet, but when I bought the suppressor, they said I could have CONJUGAL VISITS out at the range, not just looking at it in the shop! They only asked that I notify them ahead of time, so they could take it out there for me.

Well, today I had my first visit with my can on the steel range. I didn't have any 147gr sub sonics with me, but the experience even so (shooting a Centerfire pistol can for the first time) was amazing! The ring of the steel was the loudest sound, followed by the sonic crack, neither of which bothered the ears (of course!).

It was a lot of fun, except that I had a hard time hitting the plates, as my G17 doesn't have tall sights, so the suppressor covered up the whole target! Shooting the silhouettes was a lot more fun!

I'll eventually have to get some tall sights for it.

After my visit, I had to leave it with the staff at the range, to lock it back up until my paperwork is approved.

I have since bought 15 boxes of 147gr ammo, so my next conjugal visit should be even better!
J. Wise
Conqueror
Elite Member

Re: Conjugal visits?

Post by Conqueror »

Congratulations, you have got silencer disease. Prepare to own seven of them by next year.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Conqueror wrote:Congratulations, you have got silencer disease. Prepare to own seven of them by next year.
+1

You'll even buy more hosts so you can buy more silencers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
jwise
Silent Operator

Post by jwise »

I've had an AAC M4-2000 (5.56) and Pilot (.22) since 2007. I managed to stick with just those two for these last 7 years. Now I have another .22 can, a .30 cal can, and this 9mm can in jail waiting on paperwork, with plans on a .45 can!
J. Wise
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Awesome stuff brotha. I find shooting a pistol with a can that "blocks" the sights with both eyes open, gives a "ghost" image of the sights on target.

Actually, we are trained to use the both eyes open technique. Not exactly the surgical shot sight picture at first, but with practice...:wink:, everyone seems to get better at it.

I absolutely think my 9mm TiRant is the tits.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
jwise
Silent Operator

Post by jwise »

Good point! The heat mirage coming off the can was also significant! I was missing a LOT more of my shots than I am used to. Probably because I was just giddy with excitement over shooting my new toy!
J. Wise
paper9
Silent But Deadly

Post by paper9 »

It takes some practice but you can get better at using the standard sights with a can. I improved but not to the point of no can obstruction of the sight picture.
pod

Post by pod »

That was a requirement for when I purchased my first can (Specwar 762) that the dealer have it in stock, and that there'd be a range attached to the shop. I found one about an hour away from me, and it helps with the wait time.
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

Wear a condom.
jwise
Silent Operator

Post by jwise »

doubloon wrote: You'll even buy more hosts so you can buy more silencers.
I'm already considering the fact that my newly purchased Sparrow .22 can is rated for 5.7x28!

PS90 SBR? FN Five7?
J. Wise
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

jwise wrote:
I'm already considering the fact that my newly purchased Sparrow .22 can is rated for 5.7x28!

PS90 SBR? FN Five7?
"Rated for" and "work excellently" aren't the same thing. I'd recommend you keep the 22lr on 22lr and probably also skip 5.7. It hasn't caught on by now, and it never will.
jwise
Silent Operator

Post by jwise »

este wrote:
jwise wrote:

PS90 SBR? FN Five7?
"Rated for" and "work excellently" aren't the same thing. I'd recommend you keep the 22lr on 22lr and probably also skip 5.7. It hasn't caught on by now, and it never will.
You're probably right. I don't need a new caliber to start collecting.

I just added 300 Blackout, which is the first new cartridge I've added in years. It took a long time for me to come to terms with it being THAT much superior to 5.56, 7.62x39, and .308win, that it "earned a spot on the team."
J. Wise
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

In all honesty, 5.7 doesn't really suppress very well. I love the round but it's always supersonic. It's better shooting with a can than without, but it's not as cool as say, 300blk.