Making a 300 BLK suppressed only can

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

takhammer

Making a 300 BLK suppressed only can

Post by takhammer »

Hey guys, I have plans of making an SBR 300 BLK off a handi rifle. Since this is going to be subsonic only, I figure it could be lighter built than something made for 308 or similar.

My buddy has machined a 22 can with a monocore design and it is quiet, where would I begin trying to make a small, light, and quiet can for 300 BLK subs?
Samson104
Silent But Deadly

Re: Making a 300 BLK suppressed only can

Post by Samson104 »

What machines do you have access to?
takhammer

Post by takhammer »

Lathe, mill, most everything. Buddy is wanting to make a forge as well.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

These rifles make fine integrals.No need to lighten the build for subs only as if you build to lower than standard 300blk pressures you may have a weapon that is not durable in use.Plan on a good trigger job in addition to other work.
PS: .22's are easy to suppress using most any design.Center-fires at subsonic velocity's are far more challenging to make Hollywood Quiet.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
takhammer

Post by takhammer »

How would I go about doing an integral build? Forgive me, I'm totally a novice at this type of stuff but my buddy understands much better.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

takhammer wrote:How would I go about doing an integral build? Forgive me, I'm totally a novice at this type of stuff but my buddy understands much better.
Integrals can be made in several ways.The idea is that the suppressor is married to the host and potentially can be more accurate, quiet,and shorter than a suppressor that detaches from the muzzle.
A stealth suppressor could be made by blending a tube into the barrel contour just forward of the hinge pin.A threaded extension will be needed with a modified forearm to keep the "stock" look.Re-mounting iron sites and re-bluing the barrel tube assembly completes the camouflage.The rifle will now appear to be either a shotgun or a bull barreled rifle.I would build this to shoot super sonic rounds in strength as there is no economy in a light weight suppressor that blows up.
What is the thickness of the barrel just forward of the receiver.How long is the existing barrel and what is the twist rate.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Samson104
Silent But Deadly

Post by Samson104 »

If it were me i would make the ID 1.375" , make a 1.5" blast chamber. A 60 deg cone with .100" wall followed by 6 more cones with .050" walls spaced at .625".
with an OD of 1.5" that would be plenty strong for even full house 300 black out rounds.
grrifles

Post by grrifles »

Go k baffle for hollywood quiet. Shoot 245 cast bullet with super fast powder and you will giggle.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

grrifles wrote:Go k baffle for hollywood quiet. Shoot 245 cast bullet with super fast powder and you will giggle.
What load are you using with 'super fast' powder for subs? Is that for a bolt action? I've never seen anyone use a very fast powder for 300BLK subs - maybe middle in the pistol powders like W231 or Unique for bolt action. If I had a bolt gun I think HS6 would be a good one to try.

Anyway smooth 60* cones work very well in mine. Happy with the results.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Samson104
Silent But Deadly

Post by Samson104 »

something like this
saigatechusa
Silent Operator

Post by saigatechusa »

Titanium can / 10.3" barrel /

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrZmwE4IOaY
plodder
Silent Operator

Post by plodder »

saigatechusa wrote:Image

Titanium can / 10.3" barrel /

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrZmwE4IOaY
Saigatechusa: I hope this design is not patented because at this moment I have decided to copy this design for my 10.5" 300BLK. Do you think it would work as well and be durable if built from stainless rather than Ti?
Still awaiting an original & riveting thought for signature line; stand by...........
grrifles

Post by grrifles »

Yes for a bolt gun. I use N310. 3.0 to 3.5 grains. You might be able to push up to 4 but I had no reason to go that much.
I use lil gun for my AR blackout
Chris
CMV wrote:
grrifles wrote:Go k baffle for hollywood quiet. Shoot 245 cast bullet with super fast powder and you will giggle.
What load are you using with 'super fast' powder for subs? Is that for a bolt action? I've never seen anyone use a very fast powder for 300BLK subs - maybe middle in the pistol powders like W231 or Unique for bolt action. If I had a bolt gun I think HS6 would be a good one to try.

Anyway smooth 60* cones work very well in mine. Happy with the results.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

saigatechusa wrote: Image

NICE great build!!

Do you have more detailed images of the gasblock and free float?
What free float tube did you use?

Gunny
saigatechusa
Silent Operator

Post by saigatechusa »

Thanks!!

I will post more pics of gas block...7075 type 3 hardcoated...(grey..no die) 1/4-28 pilot point set screw with matching pocket in barrel..and 3/16" spiral cross pin..very solid

Tube is 6061 threaded for YHM barrel nut then custom clamp..300 logo created with MX7 and prototrax retrofitted mill....type 3 black

Titanium can....10.3" Wilson barrel .106" port pistol gas system 100% cycling

208 amax / 220 smk 1680 powder
silence_is_yellowish

Post by silence_is_yellowish »

Samson104 wrote:something like this
Hey Samson104, can you point me to a build thread for this can? I'd love to learn more about it.

Edit: Nevermind, I just found it!