End-cap retention (prevent un-threading of cap from tube)

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

airsix

End-cap retention (prevent un-threading of cap from tube)

Post by airsix »

My first form1 build is gathering steam and a concern is pecking at the back of my mind.

I will be attaching the suppressor to a Griffin brake. If you are not familiar with it, it has 20tpi threads on it's OD and a tapered seating surface for suppressor mounting.

My suppressor will be built with 1.5"OD Ti tube and 303 SS end-caps with 28tpi threads.

IF everything is right-hand threaded I'm concerned about the risk that unthreading the suppressor could un-thread the tube from the end-cap rather than the end-cap from the brake.

To prevent this, is anyone using a mechanical locking method such as a set screw to insure the cap does not unthread from the tube?

I'd love to see examples or hear opinions.

PS - I successfully cut internal threads in a test piece of Ti tube last night using my little mini-lathe. This is a huge milestone for me!
mattman0o0o

Re: End-cap retention (prevent un-threading of cap from tube)

Post by mattman0o0o »

Locktite and pressure against the baffle stack hold mine in just fine. Never had an issue after many many rounds.
.22 form 1 - http://youtu.be/grDBBcMjacI
.22 form 1 build thread - http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79544
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: End-cap retention (prevent un-threading of cap from tube)

Post by Bendersquint »

I would red loctite the mount in place if you aren't welding it.