Suppressed 22 TCM?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

IslandTimes

Suppressed 22 TCM?

Post by IslandTimes »

Anyone tried suppressing the 22 TCM? Looks like the energy is around that of the 5.7x28, which my sparrow is supposedly rated for, but curious if anyone had tried? Heck, anyone suppressed a 5.7?
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressed 22 TCM?

Post by quiettime »

IDK about suppressing one, but I have fired a 1911 in .22 TCM at an indoor range.

All I can tell you is there is a LOT of muzzle blast. Not sure how it compares to the 5.7 as I've not fired one, but it would not be the first thing that popped in my mind as a host LOL.

The 5.7 case definitely has less volume than the .22 TCM. They're also about the same velocity but the TCM projectiles are half-again what the FN is.

Couldn't find any TCM suppressed vids on the 'Tube but here's a test with the 5.7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc3_QolyetM

And here's what you're up against LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYtRGrEVw5U
clark4283

Post by clark4283 »

Where would you get the barrel? Build a custom one?
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

No, the velocities are not the same. The 2,000+ FPS claimed by the 5.7 is for the rifle. The handgun itself gets about 1,690 FPS, while the 22 TCM gets the actual 2,000+ FPS. The 22 TCM rifle gets about 2,800 FPS.

Also, as noted, is the capacity of the 22 TCM versus the 5.7.

They are different rounds.

I can scarcely think of a less appropriate round for suppression out of a pistol given that every shot I have ever fired from mine creates a grapefruit-sized fireball, indicating the amount of unburned powder being ejected. I've also had factory ammo brass fail to eject due to being loaded too hot at the factory. I've had to tap the brass out from the muzzle using a cleaning rod.

Finally, the recoil spring on the 22 TCM is incredibly weak. INCREDIBLY weak. No BS: my Beretta 87 - a 22 LR - has a stiffer spring than the 22 TCM 1911. That should tell you that the operating impulse is incredibly small, which means it will absolutely be finicky about cycling with the extra weight of a silencer on the barrel. Not to mention the issues of threading the barrel anyway, which would need to be extended, and would create additional back-pressure on an already high-pressure system.

Now all of that said... I am equally certain that the gun can be made into a host, and that there are cans out there which could, or already can, handle the pressures associated with that cartridge. However, like I already said, I can scarcely imagine a worse host-and-caliber combination.

--------- ETA ---------

Not to doo-doo on your dreams; just trying to focus on the very real challenges and corresponding likely results.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

TROOPER wrote:No, the velocities are not the same. The 2,000+ FPS claimed by the 5.7 is for the rifle. The handgun itself gets about 1,690 FPS, while the 22 TCM gets the actual 2,000+ FPS. The 22 TCM rifle gets about 2,800 FPS.
...Finally, the recoil spring on the 22 TCM is incredibly weak. INCREDIBLY weak. No BS: my Beretta 87 - a 22 LR - has a stiffer spring than the 22 TCM 1911. That should tell you that the operating impulse is incredibly small, which means it will absolutely be finicky about cycling with the extra weight of a silencer on the barrel. Not to mention the issues of threading the barrel anyway, which would need to be extended, and would create additional back-pressure on an already high-pressure system..
Excellent points, IDK that velocity was for the rifle.

I still do think it would be a finicky round to suppress.

However, there is a new compact version. Perhaps one could use the full size barrel in the compact slide to allow for threading. Not sure if the diameter of the barrel swells at the bushing or not.

Now the rifle on the other hand...might be a better place to start
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

quiettime wrote:
I still do think it would be a finicky round to suppress.

However, there is a new compact version. Perhaps one could use the full size barrel in the compact slide to allow for threading. Not sure if the diameter of the barrel swells at the bushing or not.

Now the rifle on the other hand...might be a better place to start
The barrel DOES swell at the end. Therefore, using the 'full size' 22 TCM barrel on a compact version would not be a viable option.

As far as the 22 TCM rifle... the barrel appears to be a "sporter" barrel, or "pencil" barrel. I'm not convinced it could take a 1/2 x 28 threading without an adapter.

However, since the bolt face and magazine for the 22 TCM are compatible with 9mm, there is definitely interest in purchasing the 22 TCM rifle, SBR'ing it, then boring it to 9mm to have a suppressed, 17-round magazine, bolt-action 9mm rifle.

The rifle itself... I imagine that if the barrel were kept at its native length and could sustain a silencer without an adapter... that its performance would be very similar to a suppressed 17 HMR, which is to say that it would be better suppressed versus unsuppressed, but no where near as quiet as virtually any other gun shooting subs.
IslandTimes

Post by IslandTimes »

Hmm, I didn't realize the recoil spring and overall recoil impulse was so weak. Seems like a boosted aluminum can would have the most reliable chance of working. But would an aluminum can be able to stand up to the muzzle blast?
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

The combo gun came with two recoil springs and two extractors. With the light weight spring for the tcm the ejected brass landed about 15 feet away. With the 9mm spring the brass ejects around 6 feet away. I run the 9mm spring and the 9mm extractor and unmodified 38 super mags and it all seems to work fine.

Mostly I shoot 9mm though. The point of impact change when switching calibers is enough that I don't switch.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

IslandTimes wrote: But would an aluminum can be able to stand up to the muzzle blast?
The Warlock II is only rated for .22 lr, not even .22 Mag so I'm going to say probably not.

You just gotta shoot one of these things, blast is CRAZY
IslandTimes

Post by IslandTimes »

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015 ... stems-ion/

Looks like someone is developing a carbine for the 22 TCM. Should be interesting, and possibly a better suppressor host. Supposedly they are also developing a kit for an AR.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

When your new marketing add includes ability to make your own armor piercing rounds to defeat soft body armour, then I predict the company is not going to far.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

David Hineline wrote:When your new marketing add includes ability to make your own armor piercing rounds to defeat soft body armour, then I predict the company is not going too far.
I clicked the link... I read the line....

Jesus.
IslandTimes

Post by IslandTimes »

TROOPER wrote:
David Hineline wrote:When your new marketing add includes ability to make your own armor piercing rounds to defeat soft body armour, then I predict the company is not going too far.
I clicked the link... I read the line....

Jesus.
Viva la revolution!

Haha, sorry, I was at work and just skimmed the article. I agree that part of their marketing is ridiculous. However, I'm excited due to thinking that a 9" 22TCM AR would not be as punishing at a 9" 5.56 AR, suppressed or unsuppressed. Also, it should be a more effective round than my 9mm PCC. If only 22 TCM would be released for SAAMI certification.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

... although.... a 22 TCM AR is waaaaaay passed due. Or heck, any semi-auto, clip fed variant. Doesn't even need to be an AR.

Also, the Cabela's closest to me has begun selling 22 TCM off-the-shelf. ALSO passed due.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

From my shooting of the handgun. The noise and blast of the TCM is extreme, the felt recoil is way soft. The impact on steel is massive explosion where the bullet turns to vapor the deal is the steel popper than a 9mm puts down with ease, is not deflected at all by the TCM round. 22 rimfire plates smash down hard, a IDPA or IPSC popper does not move.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

So you shoot your 22 TCM / 9mm combo almost exclusively as 9mm? Why is that?
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

I am shooting the 15rnd 9mm pistol in IDPA, IPSC, and Steel Challenge. I would shoot the TCM cartridge more if the point of impact did not change so drastic. Until I figure a way to get the point if impact closer between barrel changes I most likely won't shoot it much.

The rifle has hit the US market now and in their wisdom they went with a heavy right hand only cheekpiece on the wood stock.

Scratch that one off the want to buy list.