300blk Form 1 Flashlite can with picks and vid

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

300blk Form 1 Flashlite can with picks and vid

Post by c5_nc »

I wanted a short light can just to use on a 300blk (subsonic only) and 22LR Upper. There is not really a commercial alternative to either that fit right. The 22lr upper is a 4" Taccom barrel and the can runs under the handguard, the 300blk is a 8.5" will have a 12" rail (tested with a carbine length rail). The width was not an issue for either as long it was under 1.75", but I wanted to keep OAL short. With almost no machine skills, Iwanted to do something simple set a goal of having a 10oz can, $100, and Steel/Ti baffles. The build ended up under budget, with Hardened M300 Tool Steel baffles, and 8.2oz. Overall length was 5.75".

$20 Maglite D Extension

I found these Valve Retainers that were a direct fit, super cheap, and already heat treated M300 Tool Steel. They are a direct drop in to the tube. Based on my other experimenting with mods, I am going to go ahead and do some basic work to these and not test them as is.

Valve Retainers (I ended up using 5), the cone and clipping reduced weight some more

Carbide ($12) tool off ebay. The cuts on these I actually got with a 45deg countersink bit (3 for $5) from Harbor Frieght and a 60deg stone (5 for $6) from Harbor freight. The Carbide tool is better.

Diversified Machine solvent trap end cap and adapters are used. He probably kept all the specs off my tube.

Complete Build.
Stack is a 1.5" Blast Chamber, 4 .75" Spacers, and a .5" end cap spacer.
Spacers and Retainers are coated with VHT (seems to be same as Cerakote High-temp)

Lil" Chubby rocks. He took a little over a hundred rounds of 300blk full power ammo (8.5" Barrel) and 5.56 (12.5" Barrel), not that I would recommend that. She seemed to run pretty close to the 30cal Freeze plug can but I will have to go back and check out the videos. I shot several cans today, the Liberty Freedom was the quietest, followed by my 8.9" VR and Monocore cans, then the AAC SDN6 would be next, and the 7.6" Freeze Plug can and 5.75" (Lil' Chubby) VR can was were about the same, not to far off the SDN6.

Lil Chubby with 22lr, 300blk subs, 300blk full power: http://youtu.be/R9QsI7rgytQ

My 8.9" VR can for comparison http://youtu.be/CccZObvE3VM
Last edited by c5_nc on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300blk Form 1 Flashlite can with picks and vid

Post by c5_nc »

This is how I did the actual Valve Retainers in question, later I just used the Carbide debur tools. Those are faster. The Valve retainers already hardened M300 tool steel, they have to be very strong and light for the engine application. The machining with basic tools is not the funest thing but it still fairly quick, freeze plugs seem like play-doh by comparison.

Countersink kit from Harbor Freight has 3 bits for $5. Two are used. First is the smallest bit and we are just removing some metal here to save our other bits.

It is hit with the larger bit in the countersink kit and 60 cone. The 60 is a sanding drum, that comes in a set of 5 from harbor freight for $4 I think. I ordered a carbide bit to do this with and they will be cleaned up more when that gets here. You should be able to see the 45 and 60deg sections.

The M300 Tool steel on this one is no joke. On a freeze plug you can run the small drum on a dremel and it cuts like butter. On these you burn out bits really quick. Start with a large disk for the basic cut, this will save you lots of time and lots of drums.

This is what the clip looks like.

Large clip through steep taper but the bore size is not really effected, like the tapered SiCo cones are done. There are not enough samples to confirm but on what we have there does not appear to be a POI shift as when clipping a straight 45/60, it may be because the completed can is actually a dual clipped design though.

These were cleaned and cerakoted later.
Last edited by c5_nc on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

I haven't done POI testing on this yet, but the weapon I shot against for testing was a 12.2 Noveske 300blk build with a AAC SDN-6. I've understood that you should expect a 3MOA or so shift because of the clips they use in the baffles. I never heard what we witnessed, a shift between the sonic and subsonic loads. On the SDN-6 we zeroed it at 50yds on sonic. On subsonic it group shifted to 4" down and 2" left. Ballistic chart indicated the 4" drop is typical. The clipping of this commercial suppressor seems to effect sonic and subsonic loads different. I want to run little cubby again for accuracy. If I mark where the can indexes I can align my clips vertically.
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

Do you have a part number for the retainer valve? I'm doing a form 1 build and i think this would be good for my blast chamber. What's the cost
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

Damn you got rid if the delivery picture... Haha looks good man should work well
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

john.t.little1 wrote:Damn you got rid if the delivery picture... Haha looks good man should work well
I think tinypic is having issues, but I've heard some pics are showing up as babies or romance novels :twisted:
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

I've see that is wierd but I have tried it several computers and it shows as the solvent trap. I'll reupload it later.

http://i60.tinypic.com/vn1kra.jpg
Sandman99

Post by Sandman99 »

Jt.kline19 wrote:Do you have a part number for the retainer valve? I'm doing a form 1 build and i think this would be good for my blast chamber. What's the cost
I'd be interested in these valve retainers too if you could post a source or at least a part number. Very cool build.
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

Sandman99 wrote:
Jt.kline19 wrote:Do you have a part number for the retainer valve? I'm doing a form 1 build and i think this would be good for my blast chamber. What's the cost
I'd be interested in these valve retainers too if you could post a source or at least a part number. Very cool build.
They are 1.315" and fit actual Maglite tubes, the SD tube was made to fit a freeze plug (1.35")
silentbutdeadly

Post by silentbutdeadly »

c5_nc wrote:This is how I did the actual Valve Retainers in question, later I just used the Carbide debur tools. Those are faster. The Valve retainers already hardened M300 tool steel, they have to be very strong and light for the engine application. The machining with basic tools is not the funest thing but it still fairly quick, freeze plugs seem like play-doh by comparison.

Countersink kit from Harbor Freight has 3 bits for $5. Two are used. First is the smallest bit and we are just removing some metal here to save our other bits.

It is hit with the larger bit in the countersink kit and 60 cone. The 60 is a sanding drum, that comes in a set of 5 from harbor freight for $4 I think. I ordered a carbide bit to do this with and they will be cleaned up more when that gets here. You should be able to see the 45 and 60deg sections.

The M300 Tool steel on this one is no joke. On a freeze plug you can run the small drum on a dremel and it cuts like butter. On these you burn out bits really quick. Start with a large disk for the basic cut, this will save you lots of time and lots of drums.

Large clip through steep taper but the bore size is not really effected, like the tapered SiCo cones are done. There are not enough samples to confirm but on what we have there does not appear to be a POI shift as when clipping a straight 45/60, it may be because the completed can is actually a dual clipped design though.

You stated the valve retainer od is 1.315 but you still have not provided the source, please post a link or tell us where you got them, thanks!
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

silentbutdeadly wrote:
c5_nc wrote:This is how I did the actual Valve Retainers in question, later I just used the Carbide debur tools. Those are faster. The Valve retainers already hardened M300 tool steel, they have to be very strong and light for the engine application. The machining with basic tools is not the funest thing but it still fairly quick, freeze plugs seem like play-doh by comparison.

You stated the valve retainer od is 1.315 but you still have not provided the source, please post a link or tell us where you got them, thanks!
They were del west parts from a nascar spare parts auction. They are $15-18 new, and the lot worked out to around $4/ea I got and I have a lot left over so there was not a reason to find a similar current part number source.
silentbutdeadly

Post by silentbutdeadly »

c5_nc wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:

They were del west parts from a nascar spare parts auction. They are $15-18 new, and the lot worked out to around $4/ea I got and I have a lot left over so there was not a reason to find a similar current part number source.
Can I talk you out of some of them?