SilencerShop and Liberty Suppressors calling it quits!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

HansohnBrothers

Re: SilencerShop and Liberty Suppressors calling it quits!

Post by HansohnBrothers »

John Titsworth wrote: FFL's can NOT ship silencers to people. Period. I don't like the regulations, but I do comply with them.
See 27 CFR 478.96, MAIL ORDER SALES OF FIREARMS (IN-STATE, NICS EXEMPT). ATF even has a procedure how to handle mail order sales, ATF Procedure-2013-2. And yes, I ship silencers to clients almost daily. Of course, local and state laws may vary.
Hansohn Brothers, LLC
Culpeper, VA
www.HansohnBrothers.com
540-748-8155
silenceisgolden
Silent But Deadly

Post by silenceisgolden »

Wont matter much longer. SS is going wholesale this year.
live free or die.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

silenceisgolden wrote:Wont matter much longer. SS is going wholesale this year.

Source for that info?
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Read that on truth about guns?:)
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

John Titsworth wrote:Silencer Shop is the Bud's Guns of silencers. I transferred a SeaFire Diamond to them last year and they have a $500 SOT. That means they gross less than $500K in business a year so they are not as big as people think. And when ATF finds out they are mailing silencers to people instead of doing 4473's at the licensed location...well.... :shock:
Silencershop is an 01/03, not an 07/02 (just called them to verify my recollection). There is no such thing as a reduced-rate SOT for Class 3, it only applies to manufacturers and importers. You can do ten million in sales as a $500 Class 3 SOT. Shame on you for A) not knowing the regs as an 07/02 and B) being a public asshole about it.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

HansohnBrothers wrote:
John Titsworth wrote: FFL's can NOT ship silencers to people. Period. I don't like the regulations, but I do comply with them.
See 27 CFR 478.96, MAIL ORDER SALES OF FIREARMS (IN-STATE, NICS EXEMPT). ATF even has a procedure how to handle mail order sales, ATF Procedure-2013-2. And yes, I ship silencers to clients almost daily. Of course, local and state laws may vary.
here in NC AFTER ALL THE HOOPS AND BS i had mine shipped to me at home .i picked up one at their office and they shipped 2 to me
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Titsworth is such a wealth of info... and then makes such a legal/character assination, reputation smearing BS butthurtness comment... WTF. Is that really necessary?

Definately off my xmas card list... if I had one.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Bugzy
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bugzy »

HansohnBrothers wrote:
Damn Chris, ya beat me to the punch! Tell it like it is brother! 8)
Last edited by Bugzy on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chickenlips

Post by chickenlips »

Oooh it's get'n heated in here! It never fails to fascinate me how strongly we feel about our own opinions and points of view. I believe in capitalism and all that bs. So I get it Silencer Shop is trying to make a buck. I don't like the big corporate machine that is Walmart or Amazon. But I'm guilty of shopping for the cheapest price. Seems likely I will continue to do so. I don't know the story behind Bud's guns so I can't comment. This weekend during a pretty main stream hunting show, Silencer Shop had a television commercial for buying silencers. We have come a long way in recent years. I want to see Liberty, SRI, AAC, silencerco, Gemtech, Silencer Shop, ect... succeed! Perhaps a little competition is healthy in business. I think the products now available to us as consumers is better than it's ever been. With so much activity in the popularization of the silencer as an everyday accessory I could imagine a possibility of a few minor law changes. For our benefit I hope. Maybe wishful thinking. Remember were all on the same team here.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

In most cases the bigger a buisness gets the further they get from the people and forget their roots. I don't like to see big corp bullying smaller company's either.

I remember when Majormalfoockup posted testing on a defective Liberty TL and promised to make it right then let it hang there then abandoned the web site ( and the people)

That data must have cost Liberty Some money since people looked at his data as the end all. ( though it had very little follow up data)

It is good to buy from people who know thier roots and offer good products/service and still remember to have fun doing so. :wink:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

continuity wrote:Titsworth is such a wealth of info... and then makes such a legal/character assination, reputation smearing BS butthurtness comment... WTF. Is that really necessary.

This is suddenly a new thing? :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
silenceisgolden
Silent But Deadly

Post by silenceisgolden »

samson7x wrote:

Source for that info?
From major manufacture at SHOT show
live free or die.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ericdraven wrote:
HansohnBrothers wrote:
here in NC AFTER ALL THE HOOPS AND BS i had mine shipped to me at home .i picked up one at their office and they shipped 2 to me
Thats odd since the ATF hasn't approved shipping silencers from the SOT to individuals in NC. In fact they have denied it on the last 4 times they have been asked.

It CAN be done but it requires ATF approval to do so.

Sounds like your SOT is making his own rules up and following methods that TX is approved to do but NC isn't.
Bradpierson26
Silent Operator

Post by Bradpierson26 »

silenceisgolden wrote:
samson7x wrote:

Source for that info?
Forgive me if I take that with a grain of salt
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

Thats odd since the ATF hasn't approved shipping silencers from the SOT to individuals in NC. In fact they have denied it on the last 4 times they have been asked.

Sounds like your SOT is making his own rules up and following methods that TX is approved to do but NC isn't.[/quote]

mistake , i think i have dementia , wife said no you had to go down to so and so pick it up , so i forgot that , so no not sent my house but 3 miles down the road . apologies for misinfo
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ericdraven wrote:Thats odd since the ATF hasn't approved shipping silencers from the SOT to individuals in NC. In fact they have denied it on the last 4 times they have been asked.

Sounds like your SOT is making his own rules up and following methods that TX is approved to do but NC isn't.
mistake , i think i have dementia , wife said no you had to go down to so and so pick it up , so i forgot that , so no not sent my house but 3 miles down the road . apologies for misinfo[/quote]

Where is "3 miles down the road"?

Still sounds like your SOT sent out the item and didn't do the legally required face to face.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

silenceisgolden wrote:
samson7x wrote:

Source for that info?

What's the secret? If they told you sure they told others.
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

Bendersquint wrote:
ericdraven wrote:Thats odd since the ATF hasn't approved shipping silencers from the SOT to individuals in NC. In fact they have denied it on the last 4 times they have been asked.

mistake , i think i have dementia , wife said no you had to go down to so and so pick it up , so i forgot that , so no not sent my house but 3 miles down the road . apologies for misinfo
Where is "3 miles down the road"?

Still sounds like your SOT sent out the item and didn't do the legally required face to face.[/quote]

he is a class 3 dealer 8 months stamp comes ,he got the suppressor , i met him did the 4473 and took possession .
Str8shooter

Post by Str8shooter »

blisteringsilence wrote:Liberty is getting serious about MAP, and Silencer Shop is a bunch of assholes who won't abide by MAP pricing. There's a reason they're not carrying cans from Henry's new company, Rugged.
This is a free market after all so why is Silencer Shop assholes for selling a product cheaper then another? Look at gas pricing for example. Would you rather pay 1.80 or 2.50 a gallon?
Str8shooter

Post by Str8shooter »

continuity wrote:Silencer Shop has had $900 of mine since March 2014, and have not completed the transfer of a suppressor to my SOT yet. I'm less than happy with them.

I'm gonna tone it down until I get the suppressor or my money in hand.
Where in the process are you? Was it an in stock item? I just got my osprey 45 can mailed to me in just under 5 months. Fantastic turn around time with excellent communication and guidance through the process. This was my first dealing with them but not my first can.

They have earned my business and will continue to get it and recommendation's from me.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Str8shooter wrote:
continuity wrote:Silencer Shop has had $900 of mine since March 2014, and have not completed the transfer of a suppressor to my SOT yet. I'm less than happy with them.

I'm gonna tone it down until I get the suppressor or my money in hand.
Where in the process are you? Was it an in stock item? I just got my osprey 45 can mailed to me in just under 5 months. Fantastic turn around time with excellent communication and guidance through the process. This was my first dealing with them but not my first can.

They have earned my business and will continue to get it and recommendation's from me.
Apparently the subject supressor was in stock in March of 2015 when I finalized the order with CC order acceptance. As I've been led to understand, while the dealer transfer was approved last Aug (2014), somewhere along the line the physical paperwork on 300+ such transfers "became lost", mine falling in the middle of the numbers. Over the next months, I suppose partially due to my tendency after some 10 transfer evolutions to put it out of my mind and do the "it will happen when it happens thing", there was no interactive incentive to follow up.

Evolution to date is that last Friday the suppressor of interest was transfered to my dealer, and I was able to verify the arrival of the package. Sorta like Christmas. "Hey... I think this one is yours. Sure, go ahead, you open it."

The "transfer to me", well the trust anyway, documents were mailed yesterday. Refrained from including a poor me note and $20 bill for special attention, but figure I've had all the special attention I need on this one. Whadda think for final transfer. 90 days? 120 days? Maybe I should get a pool going with a specific date.

We'll call the transfer request package marked in at the post office on Monday 02/23/2015 at 10:52 am. That makes it just shy a year from when I hit send on the web site, to purchase the thing. Craps, I've received a new CC from the issuer since I bought this suppressor.

As a note, I see there is rumor Silencer Shop is going wholesale only sales. Interesting that another recognized dealer did the same thing after my last suppressor purchase, which was through him, hit some snags. Hasten to add that every attempt was/has been made to make things right, and I hold no ill will. I was clear in at least one thread tho that I'm big on performance and have no interest in hearing why what was agreed on, isn't gonna happen.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Whether or not SilencerShop goes the way of MM, it is true that they are often no longer the price leader on many brands of silencer. I still buy from them regularly because they have great CS but I have saved money on several cans recently by buying elsewhere.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

Based off SS's "timelines" page and the info on NFA tracker, transfers to a trust are starting to average ~10 weeks. A month ago they were averaging ~12 weeks. If all that keeps up, you could see your stamp in perhaps 60 days or less (assuming it doesn't get lost somewhere again...).

This decrease in waits has prompted me to put another 5 stamps in jail....

*sigh*

And I'm trying diligently to resist adding yet two more into the ATF's backlog.

:(
LittleLebowski

Post by LittleLebowski »

John Titsworth wrote:Silencer Shop is the Bud's Guns of silencers. I transferred a SeaFire Diamond to them last year and they have a $500 SOT. That means they gross less than $500K in business a year so they are not as big as people think. And when ATF finds out they are mailing silencers to people instead of doing 4473's at the licensed location...well.... :shock:
Stay classy.
Griz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Griz »

Str8shooter wrote:
blisteringsilence wrote:Liberty is getting serious about MAP, and Silencer Shop is a bunch of assholes who won't abide by MAP pricing. There's a reason they're not carrying cans from Henry's new company, Rugged.
This is a free market after all so why is Silencer Shop assholes for selling a product cheaper then another? Look at gas pricing for example. Would you rather pay 1.80 or 2.50 a gallon?
Sounds like they are the opposite of assholes...

And "Liberty" is a very ironic name for a company that allegedly gets butthurt over a dealer having the freedom to set his own prices. :)