A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

aries14482
Silent But Deadly

A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by aries14482 »

It is near the bottom of the article. Search for "Silicon" to find it quickly. The man claims heating clean .22 suppressor parts and dipping them in silicon oil results in parts that resist lead/carbon fouling accumulation. It is not clear from the review how many cleaning sessions this is good for, but I thought it worth bringing up here.

http://www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Elkins45
Senior Silent Operator

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by Elkins45 »

Very interesting. Thanks for posting the link.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by Bendersquint »

Will read the article in a bit.

He says the Axiom is the best rimfire silencer ever made...cautious of his other comments now.
apd855

Post by apd855 »

I find that moly dry film lube works for me.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

I'm just coating baffles with froglube paste. Looking fwd to reading that article...
savage54

Post by savage54 »

Any thoughts as to whether DOT 5 brake fluid (his source for silicon oil) is safe for the various metals (stainless, aluminum, titanium) that are likely to be found in rimfire and handgun suppressors? Not being a chemist, I'd hate to find out that it eats aluminum.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

Bendersquint wrote:Will read the article in a bit.

He says the Axiom is the best rimfire silencer ever made...cautious of his other comments now.
Hmm. I thought his review of the Anschutz MSR rx22 was good.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Most enlightening and informative article.

Thank you for pointing it out.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Interesting.

Is heating really necessary? Does it provide that much benefit over a cold application?

What, if any, are the concerns about inhaling vaporized brake fluid?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
savage54

Post by savage54 »

doubloon wrote:Interesting.

I doubt that there is any vaporization. Silicon brake fluid has a minimum boiling point of 500 degrees and the method described in the article involves heating the parts to only 250 degrees. As soon as you pull the tray of parts from the oven, they start cooling rapidly, so the solution would always be at least 250 degrees below boiling.
Chuck88

Post by Chuck88 »

savage54 wrote:
doubloon wrote:Interesting.

I doubt that there is any vaporization. Silicon brake fluid has a minimum boiling point of 500 degrees and the method described in the article involves heating the parts to only 250 degrees. As soon as you pull the tray of parts from the oven, they start cooling rapidly, so the solution would always be at least 250 degrees below boiling.
It won't be after you run a few mags thru it at the range. A hot suppressor will easily clear 500 degrees.
ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

Bendersquint wrote:Will read the article in a bit.

Silencer Shop seems to think highly of it, suggested it to me over the Sparrow and the Spectre, even though both were in stock and it was not. I picked it up Sunday, be curious to hear it next to another can.
Proper grammar is awesome.
ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

My phone doubled on me.
Last edited by ThaDoubleJ on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

savage54 wrote:Any thoughts as to whether DOT 5 brake fluid (his source for silicon oil) is safe for the various metals (stainless, aluminum, titanium) that are likely to be found in rimfire and handgun suppressors? Not being a chemist, I'd hate to find out that it eats aluminum.
Brake calipers are aluminum, pistons are steel, seals and lines are rubber.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

...and I thought I shot a lot of 22lr :D
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

twodollarbill wrote:...and I thought I shot a lot of 22lr :D

Maybe this guy is responsible for the shortage. :)
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Chuck88 wrote: It won't be after you run a few mags thru it at the range. A hot suppressor will easily clear 500 degrees.
Even a rimfire?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

TROOPER wrote:
Chuck88 wrote: It won't be after you run a few mags thru it at the range. A hot suppressor will easily clear 500 degrees.
Even a rimfire?
4 or 5 mags back to back can get it cooking...but not sure to 500deg.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

savage54 wrote:... would always be at least 250 degrees below boiling.
Inside the suppressor, not the oven, sorry for not stating what I thought was obvious.

I was thinking on a pistol host with mini-mags there might be some surface temps inside the suppressor approaching 500 but I can't say I've ever had any of my 22 cans get near 500 on the outside.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

ThaDoubleJ wrote:
savage54 wrote:Any thoughts as to whether DOT 5 brake fluid (his source for silicon oil) is safe for the various metals (stainless, aluminum, titanium) that are likely to be found in rimfire and handgun suppressors? Not being a chemist, I'd hate to find out that it eats aluminum.
OMG! :shock:

Are my brakes about to fail?
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

doubloon wrote:
ThaDoubleJ wrote:
OMG! :shock:

Are my brakes about to fail?
Only if your daily driver is a F1 race car. ;-)
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Griz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Griz »

In the NRA action pistol world we have great success with case lube (lanolin and alcohol) to keep comps from crudding up. I bet it would work for 22 silencers as well.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I haven't tried it on my Spectre II yet, but I use EZ Slide graphite based paint on my comps and they don't even get the crud buildup. Its about $5 for a pretty big can available from Implement dealers and farm stores.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

I understand graphite is a no-no on aluminum. Does anyone know if that also goes for titanium?