A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, renegade, bakerjw

aries14482
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:36 am

A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by aries14482 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:12 pm

It is near the bottom of the article. Search for "Silicon" to find it quickly. The man claims heating clean .22 suppressor parts and dipping them in silicon oil results in parts that resist lead/carbon fouling accumulation. It is not clear from the review how many cleaning sessions this is good for, but I thought it worth bringing up here.

http://www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html

Elkins45
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by Elkins45 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for posting the link.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by Bendersquint » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:32 pm

Will read the article in a bit.

He says the Axiom is the best rimfire silencer ever made...cautious of his other comments now.

User avatar
apd855
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by apd855 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:06 am

I find that moly dry film lube works for me.

rimshaker
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 am
Location: FL

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by rimshaker » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:11 am

I'm just coating baffles with froglube paste. Looking fwd to reading that article...

savage54
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:35 am

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by savage54 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:20 am

Any thoughts as to whether DOT 5 brake fluid (his source for silicon oil) is safe for the various metals (stainless, aluminum, titanium) that are likely to be found in rimfire and handgun suppressors? Not being a chemist, I'd hate to find out that it eats aluminum.

aries14482
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:36 am

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by aries14482 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:47 am

Bendersquint wrote:Will read the article in a bit.

He says the Axiom is the best rimfire silencer ever made...cautious of his other comments now.
Hmm. I thought his review of the Anschutz MSR rx22 was good.

Historian
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 3202
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by Historian » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:05 am

Most enlightening and informative article.

Thank you for pointing it out.

User avatar
doubloon
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 11901
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:02 am
Location: Houston-ish

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by doubloon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:37 am

Interesting.

Is heating really necessary? Does it provide that much benefit over a cold application?

What, if any, are the concerns about inhaling vaporized brake fluid?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895

savage54
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:35 am

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by savage54 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:49 am

doubloon wrote:Interesting.

What, if any, are the concerns about inhaling vaporized brake fluid?
I doubt that there is any vaporization. Silicon brake fluid has a minimum boiling point of 500 degrees and the method described in the article involves heating the parts to only 250 degrees. As soon as you pull the tray of parts from the oven, they start cooling rapidly, so the solution would always be at least 250 degrees below boiling.

Chuck88
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by Chuck88 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:58 pm

savage54 wrote:
doubloon wrote:Interesting.

What, if any, are the concerns about inhaling vaporized brake fluid?
I doubt that there is any vaporization. Silicon brake fluid has a minimum boiling point of 500 degrees and the method described in the article involves heating the parts to only 250 degrees. As soon as you pull the tray of parts from the oven, they start cooling rapidly, so the solution would always be at least 250 degrees below boiling.
It won't be after you run a few mags thru it at the range. A hot suppressor will easily clear 500 degrees.

ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Too close to Denver

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by ThaDoubleJ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Bendersquint wrote:Will read the article in a bit.

He says the Axiom is the best rimfire silencer ever made...cautious of his other comments now.
Silencer Shop seems to think highly of it, suggested it to me over the Sparrow and the Spectre, even though both were in stock and it was not. I picked it up Sunday, be curious to hear it next to another can.
Proper grammar is awesome.

ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Too close to Denver

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by ThaDoubleJ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:04 pm

My phone doubled on me.
Last edited by ThaDoubleJ on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proper grammar is awesome.

ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Too close to Denver

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by ThaDoubleJ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:04 pm

savage54 wrote:Any thoughts as to whether DOT 5 brake fluid (his source for silicon oil) is safe for the various metals (stainless, aluminum, titanium) that are likely to be found in rimfire and handgun suppressors? Not being a chemist, I'd hate to find out that it eats aluminum.
Brake calipers are aluminum, pistons are steel, seals and lines are rubber.
Proper grammar is awesome.

User avatar
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: wisconsin

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by twodollarbill » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:26 pm

...and I thought I shot a lot of 22lr :D

RJT
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:42 pm
Location: SoTx

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by RJT » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:02 pm

twodollarbill wrote:...and I thought I shot a lot of 22lr :D

Maybe this guy is responsible for the shortage. :)
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 7440
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:24 pm
Location: Augusta, Georgia

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by TROOPER » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:40 pm

Chuck88 wrote: It won't be after you run a few mags thru it at the range. A hot suppressor will easily clear 500 degrees.
Even a rimfire?

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by Bendersquint » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:02 pm

TROOPER wrote:
Chuck88 wrote: It won't be after you run a few mags thru it at the range. A hot suppressor will easily clear 500 degrees.
Even a rimfire?
4 or 5 mags back to back can get it cooking...but not sure to 500deg.

User avatar
doubloon
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 11901
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:02 am
Location: Houston-ish

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by doubloon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:12 pm

savage54 wrote:... would always be at least 250 degrees below boiling.
Inside the suppressor, not the oven, sorry for not stating what I thought was obvious.

I was thinking on a pistol host with mini-mags there might be some surface temps inside the suppressor approaching 500 but I can't say I've ever had any of my 22 cans get near 500 on the outside.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895

User avatar
doubloon
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 11901
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:02 am
Location: Houston-ish

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by doubloon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:14 pm

ThaDoubleJ wrote:
savage54 wrote:Any thoughts as to whether DOT 5 brake fluid (his source for silicon oil) is safe for the various metals (stainless, aluminum, titanium) that are likely to be found in rimfire and handgun suppressors? Not being a chemist, I'd hate to find out that it eats aluminum.
Brake calipers are aluminum, pistons are steel, seals and lines are rubber.
OMG! :shock:

Are my brakes about to fail?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895

RJT
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:42 pm
Location: SoTx

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by RJT » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:21 am

doubloon wrote:
ThaDoubleJ wrote:
savage54 wrote:Any thoughts as to whether DOT 5 brake fluid (his source for silicon oil) is safe for the various metals (stainless, aluminum, titanium) that are likely to be found in rimfire and handgun suppressors? Not being a chemist, I'd hate to find out that it eats aluminum.
Brake calipers are aluminum, pistons are steel, seals and lines are rubber.
OMG! :shock:

Are my brakes about to fail?
Only if your daily driver is a F1 race car. ;-)
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Griz
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:35 pm

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by Griz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:35 am

In the NRA action pistol world we have great success with case lube (lanolin and alcohol) to keep comps from crudding up. I bet it would work for 22 silencers as well.

User avatar
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:40 am
Location: Montana Territory

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by MJF1911 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:24 pm

I haven't tried it on my Spectre II yet, but I use EZ Slide graphite based paint on my comps and they don't even get the crud buildup. Its about $5 for a pretty big can available from Implement dealers and farm stores.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K


aries14482
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:36 am

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by aries14482 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:56 am

I understand graphite is a no-no on aluminum. Does anyone know if that also goes for titanium?

Post Reply