A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by Bendersquint »

aries14482 wrote:I understand graphite is a no-no on aluminum. Does anyone know if that also goes for titanium?
Why is graphite a no-no for aluminum?
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Re: A pre-treating method to reduce .22 suppressor baffle cleaning time seems to have been found.

Post by aries14482 »

I was told never to use it as a lube on AR15s. Something about it hurting the aluminum.
ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

I think graphite is OK for Aluminum, it's magnesium that it's really bad for, has something to do with galvanic corrosion, they're too close to each other on some list of metals that aren't friends. Titanium is actually made from the ground up bones of Unicorns, smelted on the sun, and brought back to earth on Dragons. I'm not sure that it has the same corrosion issues the group of metals that the other two belong to.
Proper grammar is awesome.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I've never had a single problem using EZ Slide on any aluminum. You wouldn't use it in an AR for the obvious reason that it just isn't the right lube for the application - unless you are talking about in the buffer tube, for which that is the perfect application.

Graphite itself is just carbon, the only difference between graphite and diamond is that diamond is a triple bond carbon chain and graphite is a double bond.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

Bendersquint wrote:
aries14482 wrote:I understand graphite is a no-no on aluminum. Does anyone know if that also goes for titanium?
galvanic corrosion
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Killerapplesauce wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
galvanic corrosion
Guess I have been REALLY lucky for years. ;)
SpeedyR

Post by SpeedyR »

A couple of points- if you go this route with the brake fluid make sure you get 5.0 fluid. it's silicon based. most harley davidson shops would stock it and I assume you can get it most other standard car parts places as well.

DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH STANDARD DOT 3, 4, OR 5.1 FLUID! The 5 is silicon, the other brake fluids are glycol based. I don't know what would happen if you use the others, but since the article is specific to DOT5 (silicon based), if you plan to try this route, confirm you get DOT 5, not 5.1 or 4. :)

as for the others comments: I had asked a while ago about the TacSol axiom supressor. i saw one a while ago and it seemed to be a good design, but with all the talk about the sparrow, I just assumed the sparrow was "better". seems that since then the Axiom has gotten some better press, but I still have yet to see any "love" for it here. it would seem that the individual baffles would give it a lower FRP compared to the sparrow while still being easy to disassemble? It would be nice to see a sparrow, axiom and Spectre tested side by side.

from reading recently it would seem that treating a new suppressor with froglube should help a lot with keeping them clean. that was going to be my first option...