When did the "New 762-SD" start?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

When did the "New 762-SD" start?

Post by pneumagger »

Looking on the website, I noticed it says. "The new 762-SD™ features an all-Inconel® baffle stack that has been redesigned for improved efficiency with full power 7.62 x 51mm ammunition.

What determines whether my 762SD is "new" with the all-Inconel baffles... what serial number range would let me know?
Also, since it evidently has a fully welded core too, can I expect this can to be as robust as my 762SND6?

I ordered a 762SD about 7 months ago and just got the call that it was approved and ready for pickup this week. :) I'm just curious about the actual ruggedness of the 762SD. When I bought it I was under the impression it was an inconel blast baffle with the rest being stainless and the big difference between the 762SDN6 and 762SD was that SDN6 was fully-welded-all-inconel... which accounted for the price difference.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
Tanner

Re: When did the "New 762-SD" start?

Post by Tanner »

Id like to know too. Im about to get one and would like to be able to tell if its the old one or new one.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Well, I picked up my 762SD today. My initial impression is that it's solid. On paper it's only about 1.34" inches longer on paper and 3-1/2 ounces heavier than my 762-SDN-6, but in real life the size difference is quite noticeable on my smaller rifles (10.5" & 14.5") compared next to the shorter SDN-6. On my longer bolt gun (20") the size difference is not significant.

My initial question is obviously, "Is my 762-SD a new and improved model with all inconel core."
It was ordered from the distributor in June 2014, so I would hope so.

Being an owner of both now, the new question I have is "Why is the 762-SDN-6 about $275 more expensive?"
Both are fully welded.
Both have Inconel baffles throughout.
Both accept the same mounts.
The 762-SD has more baffles & volume so should be slightly quieter.

That being said, I am glad I own both and would make the same choice to purchase both again. And had I purchased the 762-SD first I still would have ended up purchasing a shorter silencer (like the SDN6/Saker/Omega) as well. The shorter silencer on smaller weapons and smaller calibers is much handier than the larger full-size 30 cal supressors.

Comparison (14.5" 308AR vs. 20" Rem700), the AR with the SDN6 is still shorter than the Rem 700 unsupressed:

NickAAC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by NickAAC »

The new 762SD has all inconel baffles. It is an older design that is cheaper to machine, that is the reason for the price difference. The SD is slightly quieter than the N6, because of the volume like you mentioned. If you purchased yours in June of 2014 then it would be a newer model. It's hard to find an old model still. It is fully welded, just like the N6. It is just as tough as the N6.
Nick
Customer service at Advanced Armament Corporation
[email protected]
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Good to know that it is as tough as the SDN-6! I had originally bought it before I knew they were redesigned, so this is like surprise bonus time. Makes sense that almost the same performance in a smaller package with more intricate design is costlier. I didn't realize there were any other differences than length.

:D
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

The old 762-SD had a flat blast baffle and a couple of cones. IIRC the new one has a bunch of cones, more like the SDN-6, but they are less complex shape-wise so the stack is easier to produce and therefore cheaper. If you look through yours and see more than a couple baffles it's a new one.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

So it is basically a QD Cyclone?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Machine Gun Matt
Silent But Deadly

Post by Machine Gun Matt »

I believe Ive had them in inventory for almost a year.

Now just a FYI different platforms, different ammo, barrel length, ect

To my ear they are not as quiet as the 762 SDN-6. Just one persons opinion.

And no, far from a fast attach Cyclone. the 762-SD has a 3 1/2" expansion chamber.

Cyclone seems much quieter. Again Just my opinion

Its a great Value! For $650 or less, I think there is no way you can go wrong.
07/02 FFL-SOT
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

The Cyclone has like 10 baffles, I don't think the new SD has that many. Maybe it's like a QD Cyclone K with a big blast chamber to hold the muzzle mount.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Conqueror wrote:The old 762-SD had a flat blast baffle and a couple of cones. IIRC the new one has a bunch of cones, more like the SDN-6, but they are less complex shape-wise so the stack is easier to produce and therefore cheaper. If you look through yours and see more than a couple baffles it's a new one.

There's a few versions-

The "Old" 762-SD which had the flat blast baffle, and the 18T mount.

Then there was a newer one that had all cone baffles and the 51T mount, essentially like the M42K. Only the first baffle was Inconel and the remainder were stainless. This is the one that was popular and then discontinued after the 'N-6 came out.

At SHOT 2014, AAC reintroduced the 762-SD with all-inconel baffles and a super low price. That's the current one.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy