NFA Disapprovals

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

NFA Disapprovals

Post by Fulliautomatix »

How common are disapprovals, and what are the "top ten" reasons? I've done some googling, and so far I've found 2 instances. One was where someone didn't get the trust name correct on the form, and the other was in Maryland, where the state government got involved and had requested that anything (aside from suppressors) pending be denied.
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
jdne5b

Re: NFA Disapprovals

Post by jdne5b »

I see a lot of posts about incorrect model #'s on form 1 SBRs. They don't like you to add the "-" in the model number. My Anderson lower is marked AM-15, but they want it to be AM15 on the form.
dullh

Post by dullh »

One of my Form 4's got returned to the dealer because he missed a couple of boxes. It came back in 3 days, he fixed it, mailed back, 8 days later I was walking out with the can.

So...I'd say filling-out-the-form errors probably rank pretty high...
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

dullh wrote:One of my Form 4's got returned to the dealer because he missed a couple of boxes. It came back in 3 days, he fixed it, mailed back, 8 days later I was walking out with the can.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but it sounds like you got your paperwork approved in well under a month. Is that correct? When was that?
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Fulliautomatix wrote:
dullh wrote:One of my Form 4's got returned to the dealer because he missed a couple of boxes. It came back in 3 days, he fixed it, mailed back, 8 days later I was walking out with the can.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but it sounds like you got your paperwork approved in well under a month. Is that correct? When was that?
No, an error letter was received, corrections were made, form was resubmitted, and soon afterwards final approval was received...
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Here's a situation that happened to "a friend" of mine... it might even be a hypothetical situation that never happened... and has nothing to do with me. It's definitely NOT me. :shock:

Two forms were kicked back about a year ago for having the "wrong trust name". No big deal. The wrong portions were corrected, resubmitted and they were approved about 2 weeks later.

The actual trust is, for example, "John Q Adams Revocable Living Trust"
The Form 4s had written, "John Quincy Adams Revocable Living Trust"

So the trust name written was not IDENTICAL to the trust document and therefore the ATF forms were understandably disapproved. As it turns out looking at several forms approved over the last decade, about HALF of them had the longer trust name that had just gotten some forms disapproved. Needless to say, who knows what to do with the old ones that were mistakenly(?) approved. Tell the ATF, and watch them confiscate a bunch of stuff? Get in trouble for unregistered items with invalid stamps?
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Several common reasons:

Missing a box completely
Trust name doesn't match trust name on forms
Childish answer to "reasonable necessity" box (ie zombies, chicks dig silencers, etc. they used to approve these but have been rejecting them for years now)
Model name or serial number don't conform to standards
Invalid trust (ie, made yourself the beneficiary of your own trust or some other fundamental legal mistake)
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

pneumagger wrote:Here's a situation that happened to "a friend" of mine... it might even be a hypothetical situation that never happened... and has nothing to do with me. It's definitely NOT me. :shock:

Two forms were kicked back about a year ago for having the "wrong trust name". No big deal. The wrong portions were corrected, resubmitted and they were approved about 2 weeks later.

The actual trust is, for example, "John Q Adams Revocable Living Trust"
The Form 4s had written, "John Quincy Adams Revocable Living Trust"

So the trust name written was not IDENTICAL to the trust document and therefore the ATF forms were understandably disapproved. As it turns out looking at several forms approved over the last decade, about HALF of them had the longer trust name that had just gotten some forms disapproved. Needless to say, who knows what to do with the old ones that were mistakenly(?) approved. Tell the ATF, and watch them confiscate a bunch of stuff? Get in trouble for unregistered items with invalid stamps?
Iv actually had my dealer spell my last and first name wrong on a trust. The atf approved it and I notified them and they instructed me to notify them in writing of the proper name for correction in the NFTR. Then told me to line it out and initial it on my form. When I called it was recorded that the change was made.
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
Deathray
Silent But Deadly

Post by Deathray »

I had one kicked back for having "XYZ Trust, Guy Incognito grantor and trustee" instead of just "XYZ Trust"

Years ago, I had one kicked back for only putting "XYZ Trust"

In either case, I resubmitted it the way they wanted it and got my approved form back within two weeks.
bronko1975

Post by bronko1975 »

Now i'm getting concerned! I filed 2 eform 1's on March 23rd and used the dash in the model # of both. I put the model # as it appears on the firearm ST-15 and LAR-15....i'm praying they don't get kicked back
Thumpher80

Post by Thumpher80 »

Hmm...my lower does not have a model number on it anywhere. I just put the serial number and marked N/A under the model number. Maybe they'll take it. I did leave them a comment explaining that. I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.
gunham
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunham »

Thumpher80 wrote:Hmm...my lower does not have a model number on it anywhere. I just put the serial number and marked N/A under the model number. Maybe they'll take it. I did leave them a comment explaining that. I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.
You will probably have to send them a picture of it. :x
Impeach Obama for violating the Constitution.
dullh

Post by dullh »

AlabamaPaul wrote:
Fulliautomatix wrote:

No, an error letter was received, corrections were made, form was resubmitted, and soon afterwards final approval was received...
I shoulda been more specific, but you are right.

Form would have been approved in 90 days on the nose, but due to the back-and-forth required to add missing info it took 101 days from pending to approval...
cal50
Silent But Deadly

Post by cal50 »

Had my form 1 trust kicked back for not including the full name.

Joe Blow NFA Trust / incorrect.
Joe Blow NFA Trust Revocable Living Trust / correct.

I had to resubmit and pay the tax again.
The refund took 2 months.
Branded for life, in more ways than one
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

I had mine disapproved because Jason bowers didn't bother to look at my trust except the 1st page. I had an amendment at the end which changed my trust name from blah revocable living trust to blah trust. What makes it weirder is that he had previously approved 2 stamps with the amended name. Ted clutter had it pushed the next day after I resubmitted it w another $200.

I'm still waiting for my refund from February 4th :(