Suppressors in pop culture

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

JLBourne

Suppressors in pop culture

Post by JLBourne »

Do you think that Hollywood depiction of silencers (pew, pew) really hurts a push to take them off the NFA registry, making them like any other title 1 weapon? I write novels, and try to depict silencers as they really are and I'm also trying to start a group among fellow writers to do the same. Ultimately, I'd like to change public perception of silencers in the same way the perception was formed in the first place (via pop culture BS).

Thank you for your responses.
SDN-6, 762-SD, TiRant 9, Element 2, Halo GM, Saker 762, Saker 556, Sparrow, Spectre II, Obsidian
JLBourne.com
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressors in pop culture

Post by doubloon »

I think the fact that it takes an act of congress is what hurts taking them out of NFA.

Hollywood doesn't matter, in more ways than one.

The public perception of silencers is good. They are selling at record numbers.

The perception the general public has that "hurts" silencers is the general public believes they are illegal. The more people who learn they are not illegal the more people buy them.

What is this "perception" of silencers you talk about that you believe has been formed by "pop culture"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

My take on the situation is that government agencies like more control over their populations, not less, and as such any government will preserve controlling legislation, not remove it. I doubt the 'pew pew' fiction has anything to do with it.
KiA

Post by KiA »

i think the pew-pew specifically is probably overall neutral. it's equally cool and evil because it appears to totally silence the gun. hollywood's depiction.. not sure about hurt, but it doesn't help:
they are generally used by the villains or the good guys on covert operations - either way to avoid detection. otherwise gun blasts seem to have no effect on people's hearing; indoors, close range, etc.
i can only remember two movies where hearing damage was implied, which i think is what suppressors are really about: ear safety and noise pollution.

i don't think hollywood should match the rules of reality 100%. however there are benefits in portraying some things correctly, such as firearm safety (muzzle/trigger control, etc). suppressors, i'm not sure. i guess they would need to emphasize hearing damage or the actual blast sound signature - which is probably awkward to tie into the story? how would they portray suppressors to help?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Dont forget Archer... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ... Is someone going to answer that? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.................... Kind of a running gag on that show.