Any place to trade in a used can?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by hardcase »

Also could a dealer, somewhat locally, that sells suppressors be allowed to legally sell one on consignment? Or is it like Robin Williams said of divorce--It is when your wallet is jerked out through your scrotum.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Re: Any place to trade in a used can?

Post by David Hineline »

$200 tax to dealer, $200 tax to buyer, or the buyer could pay one $200 tax and get a new unused more modern silencer than what you are trying to dump.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

We get offers for used cans but my only interest is the baffles for repairing other can that are in far worse condition.

Used silencers on a Form4 is a dead market.
Deathray
Silent But Deadly

Post by Deathray »

Your best bet is to sell it to somebody directly in your state. One transfer tax only.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Deathray wrote:Your best bet is to sell it to somebody directly in your state. One transfer tax only.
Is that possible without getting a dealer involved? I suppose the dealer could do just the paperwork.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

hardcase wrote:
Deathray wrote:Your best bet is to sell it to somebody directly in your state. One transfer tax only.
Is that possible without getting a dealer involved? I suppose the dealer could do just the paperwork.
You do not need to involve a dealer.

Just file a Form4 directly from you to the new owner, and the stamp will come back to you....then you call the buyer to come get their new toy.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Bendersquint wrote:
hardcase wrote:
You do not need to involve a dealer.

Just file a Form4 directly from you to the new owner, and the stamp will come back to you....then you call the buyer to come get their new toy.
Great!!! So there is some hope other than for scrap metal. On a different tactic, I had thought about giving it to a local LE office or find a 501 orginazation, then claiming it as a charitable contribution and tax deduction. Might be worth more as an itemized deduction. Trick is can a 501 organization possess a can, maybe for training purposes? :D I'm just brainstorming, most likely all wet.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

hardcase wrote:
Great!!! So there is some hope other than for scrap metal. On a different tactic, I had thought about giving it to a local LE office or find a 501 orginazation, then claiming it as a charitable contribution and tax deduction. Might be worth more as an itemized deduction. Trick is can a 501 organization possess a can, maybe for training purposes? :D I'm just brainstorming, most likely all wet.
Good luck on that one, I have a customer that explored that option to get rid of a bunch of old cans and was told that it was considered a 'surrender' or 'disposal' since it was firearms.

What 501 organization would need a silencer?

It wouldn't be worth the paperwork since its based on value not what you paid for it. Is it worth it for a 1-200$ deduction?
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

So how does one dispose of a NFA device properly? Whether it is unusable, beyond repair or whatever reason you are getting rid of it. Are there any notification requirements (to the ATF) when disposing/destroying a registered device?
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Fulliautomatix wrote:So how does one dispose of a NFA device properly? Whether it is unusable, beyond repair or whatever reason you are getting rid of it. Are there any notification requirements (to the ATF) when disposing/destroying a registered device?
Can has to be completely destroyed and notify the NFA Branch in writing of its destruction.

What can is it?

We have done this for a number of cans over the years.
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

Purely hypothetical situation, I'm not disposing of any cans or other NFA devices for a long time. :D... but thanks for the info.
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
dark2023
Silent Operator

Post by dark2023 »

Could you not also hypothetically surrender it at your local ATF office?
A gun is meant to protect your life, not your wallet. Things can be replaced, people cant.
Deathray
Silent But Deadly

Post by Deathray »

hardcase wrote:
Yep, I've purchased two suppressors and one SBR this way.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dark2023 wrote:Could you not also hypothetically surrender it at your local ATF office?
Yeah you could, just call ahead and let them know you are bringing a firearm in for surrender and they will arrange the rest.
Slow Hand
Silent Operator

Post by Slow Hand »

I'm curious what kind of cans guys are looking at giving up? I understand there is much better technology in suppression than just a few short years ago, but I could find a use for even the crappiest can! If it were truly a worthless performing can, it'd be cooler to cut it in half lengthways for display than to surrender it to the ATF!
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Late to the party. I was looking for a period correct suppressor for my MAC. Ran across a guy with one he was willing to sell. Given what I was looking for, it was old tech, but I was willing to give $200 for it plus the stamp. Am all happy with what it is and how it performs. That is probably the only used suppressor I will ever buy. Too many reasons to go new.

Having said that, would think the market for used suppressors is limited. Figure 1/2 original price, and if the potential buyer is familiar with such things, I'd be prepared to go through a demonstration evolution.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick