Getting checked for legal silencer and stamp

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ajridgedell

Re: Getting checked for legal silencer and stamp

Post by ajridgedell »

doubloon wrote:
Conqueror wrote:... despite driving around with visible NFA items in the backseat sometimes.
I've thought about investing in the invisible kind but then for the full effect you have to use the invisible ammo and that makes invisible holes in the target which is a pain to score.
SO true
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

doubloon wrote:
Conqueror wrote:... despite driving around with visible NFA items in the backseat sometimes.
I've thought about investing in the invisible kind but then for the full effect you have to use the invisible ammo and that makes invisible holes in the target which is a pain to score.
Plus the tax is $400 on the invisible ones. :mrgreen:
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Conqueror wrote:
doubloon wrote:
Plus the tax is $400 on the invisible ones. :mrgreen:
... but the ATF won't 'see' a dime of it.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I don't care what everybody else says about ya'll, I still like this place. :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
AkGun&ammo
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AkGun&ammo »

was "checked" by State Trooper when I used mine to harvest a moose near the road...

but, however, ect, ect, ALL he WANTED to know was whether the rifle was unloaded..

the suspressor on the barrel didn't seem to bother him a bit.

Was checked by TSA when going on a hunt to Texas... and they made me detach (unscrew) from barrel,
onct again, didn't check Form 4...

I commented on the stupidity of them "requesting" removal from barrel, AFTER trip was complete.
figured no need to poke a fire when too close to the flame LOL

Chris
AkGun&ammo
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AkGun&ammo »

And doubloon I'd be honored to buy you a stotch for all the great advise you've either given me directly, or thourgh other postings.

Chris
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

don't know if serious about the advice but I do like scotch

I'd be happy to bring the scotch and cigars just for an excuse to drink.

Are you anywhere near Houston-ish or between Houston-ish and the Florida panhandle?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
dullh

Post by dullh »

Any range owner/officer or LEO that wants to see my paperwork gets to see it. I ain't looking to play games or get a hassle - I show if asked.

Thing is, I haven't been asked yet, probably because the ranges I frequent see cans and SBR's more and more often - and they know me.

After shooting one day, I slung my empty (mag removed/bolt open) 8" PDW AR (with Saker 556) across my chest and walked into the retail area. I did this because that Saker was blistering hot, and I didn't want to burn the lining off the inside of my rifle bag. Two cops were standing in there shooting the breeze. They looked at me, asked me what it was, said it was "wicked sweet" and wondered away. Didn't ask for "papers", but if they had I would have produced them.

I have a small notebook with shrunken copies of each and every one of my forms that I carry in my range bag. I don't drive without my DL, I don't carry concealed without my permit, and I don't leave the house with NFA items in my possession without my F1/F4 notebook. Easy as that.

In NC the F1/F4 is NOT an affirmative defense to an illegal act, like it is in TN and OK...it's perfectly legal to own and possess Title II items here as long as Federal Law is complied with...
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

^^^Where in NC?

I do the same thing you do. I have a small binder full of reduced-size watermarked copies of all my gun paperwork that lives in my glove compartment, or in my carry-on when I fly with guns.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I tend to think that most cops or other law enforcement types know that you arent going to acquire a silencer ( at least a commercial one ) without the proper paperwork in the first place.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

I think that's probably true. The handful of LEOs I've encountered have usually just thought my stuff is "awesome" or "cool," they've never asked to see the papers. Most of them aren't gun guys so they ask the same questions as the general public (ie, "was it hard to get your Class 3 license?").
skyegod

Post by skyegod »

I shot my UZI (sbr) in an informal 3 gun competition a few weeks ago. I know that I don't have to show anybody but Leo's, however I chose to show the person that was organizing the match. It was not a problem, and I think it was the 1st form 1 that he had seen.

Oh well, better than getting to the firing line and been told no go.