AAC SR-7 at the range

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

Bryan 45

AAC SR-7 at the range

Post by Bryan 45 »

I haven't seen many end-user videos featuring the SR-7. Here's my 9 year old son shooting an Adams Arms COR with a SR-7. Sorry for the crappy audio, the Lifeproof case on my Iphone makes everything sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.

https://www.facebook.com/bryan.ray.35/v ... 052457590/
Bryan 45

Re: AAC SR-7 at the range

Post by Bryan 45 »

There's not a lot of info out there on the AAC SR-7. I bought one based on the recommendation of a couple engineers I know that were with Remington. I don't have a lot of experience with suppressors, but I thought I'd share the results and my impressions after shooting this one over the course of several trips to the range and one 3 gun match.

Rifles used so far have been: (pictures of the gear will be added later today)

18" DoubleStar 3GR .223 with nonadjustable gas block and Bushnell 1-6.5 BTR1
8.5" PSA 300blk with nonadjustable gas block and Burris 1-4 TAC 30

All ammo for the .223 rifles is 55g FMJBT from Grace Ammo. Ammo used in testing for the 300blk is 110g HP handloads at 2230 FPS. All shooting was done at 100 yards from a black and decker workmate.

First I wanted to test for zero shift and verify it was a repeatable shift. I fired a group of 5 rounds at 100 yards with no suppressor to confirm zero and establish a base line group. *Disclaimer- I rarely shoot from a bench, and my technique is not perfect. I expect within all results these groups are slightly larger than the equipment is capable of due to shooter error. The Bushnell BTR-1 has a .3mil center dot, which likely further increases group size slightly. I've been using 55g Grace Ammo for 3 years now and it's proven to be 1.25 MOA ammo in multiple rifles. So I don't think it's fair to assume greater than 1.25 MOA accuracy is achievable with this ammo, irregardless of the capability of the equipment.

Here's the first group I shot- non-suppressed on the left, suppressed on the right.

For the suppressed group, I fired the first round, cleared the rifle, removed the suppressor, re-mounted the suppressor, and fired the second round. I did this procedure for each round fired, removing the can four times for the 5 round group. This proved to be a little more frustrating than I expected- not because the can was difficult to remove (because it wasn't), but because of having to re-build the position before each shot. I think this can be attributed as to the cause of some of the horizontal stringing. But, it's clear that there is a shift, and I later measured it as .5 mil left and .2 mil down.

Here's another group later in the day by the same procedure of removing/reinstalling after each shot that was a little better. This was typical of several groups fired by removing/reinstalling after each shot.(And also after adjusting POI based on the suppressor mounted.)

With the TAC30 and the 8.5" Blackout, I had better than expected results. I did not do any non-suppressed testing with it since I don't have any expectations of shooting it without the suppressor. As to function of the PSA barrel that I got for $82 back before Christmas- with this load, ejection was energetic. Fired cases were sent flying out about 15-20 feet. I'm thinking heavier buffer will slow this down a little? But it ran with no stoppages using Lancer mags. Neat fact- the 400 yard dot in the Burris TAC30 is on about 250 yards. (at least on enough to consistently hit a 10" plate.)

Overall impressions- I like the mounting system. The 90T taper mount seems to lock up solid each time and has not yet shown to be difficult to remove the can, even after extended firing.

Let me know if anyone has questions or if there are any other types of testing I can do.