Need 1911 threaded Storm Lake bbl help...

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent Operator

Need 1911 threaded Storm Lake bbl help...

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Trying to make sure i'm lookin at the correct Storm Lake barrel seen here: http://grabagun.com/storm-1911-45acp-5- ... l?___SID=U 
I emailed Storm Lake, but no response yet. Trying to confirm if this is correct drop-in barrel for Springfield Armory Loaded Operator 1911 in 45 ACP...i'm 90% sure it is, but please help me confirm...
Also, anybody with experience with 1911 threaded barrels, gimme your .02 on this barrel as far as quality. I believe Storm Lake makes the barrels for SA anyways, so is this a good purchase? Options? If you suggest a different barrel, please provide a link that shows part number so i can shop confidently...
Thanks guys...
It's always the quiet guy in the room...with a suppressor.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: Need 1911 threaded Storm Lake bbl help...

Post by chrismartin »

Storm Lake is good to go. I have three of their 1911 barrels.

There are only a couple of options that you need to worry about...

1. Barrel Ramp... A standard 1911 barrel, just has a small mouth area, no integrated ramp (like a Glock barrel for example). SOME 1911's (aluminum framed Springfield Champions, for example) have a fully ramped barrel. You need to make sure that you get the correct one for your 1911.

2. Length... Storm lake does make several length barrels. Make sure you buy the correct one. If it's a "Government" length 5" barrel or a 4.25" commander length or even a 4" barrel, you need to make sure the correct one is ordered. The threaded barrels will be slightly longer obviously.

3. Bushing... Some 1911's don't use a bushing, they are bull barrels. If you have a bull barrel, you may still be able to use a bushing barrel, but you need to check the slide and you'll probably want to swap out the recoil rod and plug with a standard GI version (short recoil rod and plug)

It looks like the Loaded Operator uses a standard bushing and should use a standard barrel. So, I'd pick up the standard threaded barrel like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/212024 ... uctFinding

This barrel comes with a link, pin, bushing and thread protector. However, it's listed as "Semi-drop-in" which could take more work than a "drop-in" barrel. However, with 1911's things rarely drop in either way. Could just be a non-difference.

If you need the ramped barrel (which I doubt), I can provide the link, but I don't want to confuse things.

Your Grab-A-Gun link didn't come through, but I did find it here:

http://grabagun.com/storm-1911-45acp-5- ... ded-k.html

From the description, it should work fine:
Storm Lake Barrels Barrel, 45ACP, 5.75", Fits 1911, Stainless Finish, .578-28 Thread, With Link/Pin/Bushing 34084

1911 BARRELS
•Machined from certified 416R SS for strength, durability & accuracy •Barrels are match grade, hardened to 40-42 HRC & cut broach rifled •Check with the manufacturer of your attachment to verify thread option before ordering
Style: EXTENDED LENGTH (for 5'' slide) DROP-IN UNRAMPED .578-28 THREAD w/LINK, PIN MATCH FIT BUSHING & STAINLESS THREAD PROTECTOR

For: Governmentr

Cal.: .45 ACP

Brl.: 5.76"
For $178, great deal.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent Operator

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Thanks so much for the very detailed response...i have checked, and mine is, indeed, non-ramped 5"...so the link you provided is perfect...i will research a few more sites, but so far, the grabagun has been best price...i only wish they had the Black Isonite finish barrel in that model...
Thanks again, much appreciated!
It's always the quiet guy in the room...with a suppressor.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I bought a Remington 1911 threaded Barrel for mine, Brownells had them on sale a while back, found out it was a storm Lake, I'm using it in my TRP Operator. Works great.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!