Specwar 762 vs Omega

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ChinStrap40

Specwar 762 vs Omega

Post by ChinStrap40 »

Hello all,

My name is Steve and I live in Minnesota. I'm sure everyone is aware of the newly passed legislation that legalizes suppressors in my state. Well, like all gun enthusiasts in the state, I am hot to trot for my first suppressor. I have been looking long into the subject. I am not completely decided on my first suppressor, but I'm very interested in the Specwar 762 and the Omega.

I wanted to ask the members here because you all have so much more experience with suppressors and can comment on how different characteristics affect shooting.

This is where I am at: I would hands down get the Specwar for its suppression capabilities and its robust design, but it is heavy and long. How does this really affect shooting? This can will be used on an 8.5" 300blk (subs and supers), 308 bolt guns, an ar10, and one ar15.

I like the modularity of the Omega. How many of you really take advantage of that? Is it really a large benefit? Also, the Omega is not built as strong as the Specwar. I know this is a loaded question, but what kind of life expectancy can someone expect from a can like the Omega compared to the Specwar.

Again, I am very new to suppressors so I apologize if my questions seem dumb, but these things are spendy and being an NFA item, I cant just go get a new one and sell the one I have so easily.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Steve
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Re: Specwar 762 vs Omega

Post by quiettime »

Weight is very important to me and that's the only thing that kept me from going with the Specwar.

Will you hunt with the can or do any competitive matches? Kids or wife shoot it? Or will you mostly shoot off the bench or from a rest?
ChinStrap40

Post by ChinStrap40 »

quiettime wrote:Weight is very important to me and that's the only thing that kept me from going with the Specwar.

Will you hunt with the can or do any competitive matches? Kids or wife shoot it? Or will you mostly shoot off the bench or from a rest?
I will do some hunting but no competition. No kids or wife to shoot, but I live bringing friends and new shooters out to shoot.

Primarily, this will be used on a lot of guns shot from benches, but when it's not doing that, it will be mounted on the SHTF gun (16" 300blk ar15 or 8.5" 300blk ar15).
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Strength vs weight...

The Omega is a titanium cylinder. Unless you plan on using it to ply open doors, it'll be plenty tough for 99.9% of applications.

Weight effects how a gun swings, balances, and transitions. Weight on the end of a barrel takes more time to get the barrel on target (inertia) and more effort to slow it down coming on to target (inertia).

The SpecWar will buy you a BIT more suppression, but at a large weight cost.
The Omega now has 5.56 end-caps available, which could make it quieter shooting 5.56/223.

My primary host is also a 300 BLK (8.25"). With the direct thread mount, 1" long muzzle brake off, and the flat end-cap installed, the Omega is a 6"/13.0oz can that suppresses subsonic 300BLK to a dull thud. You'll never get a SpecWar anywhere near those numbers.

My Opinion...

JW
ChinStrap40

Post by ChinStrap40 »

JeffWard wrote:Strength vs weight...

The Omega is a titanium cylinder. Unless you plan on using it to ply open doors, it'll be plenty tough for 99.9% of applications.

Weight effects how a gun swings, balances, and transitions. Weight on the end of a barrel takes more time to get the barrel on target (inertia) and more effort to slow it down coming on to target (inertia).

The SpecWar will buy you a BIT more suppression, but at a large weight cost.
The Omega now has 5.56 end-caps available, which could make it quieter shooting 5.56/223.

My primary host is also a 300 BLK (8.25"). With the direct thread mount, 1" long muzzle brake off, and the flat end-cap installed, the Omega is a 6"/13.0oz can that suppresses subsonic 300BLK to a dull thud. You'll never get a SpecWar anywhere near those numbers.

My Opinion...

JW
what do you mean anywhere near those numbers? Are you referring to the suppression capability or the size and weight?
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

I'm guessing size and weight...
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I know both are on sale right now but if $ is not an issue I would look at the Rugged " Surge" and you would get both sizes in one. Henry designed the Specwar and Silencerco greatly benefited from his input so he deserves a look. Modular cans are the new thing.

And you can bet it will be kicking long after the weaker TI can is roasted. :mrgreen:

Might want to get a 22lr can while your at it! :wink:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

Post by Loki_stormbringer »

Emilio wrote: And you can bet it will be kicking long after the weaker TI can is roasted. :mrgreen:
:
I see a lot of knocking the omega for strength. Wouldn't the lifetime warranty cover such issue?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Loki_stormbringer wrote:
Emilio wrote: And you can bet it will be kicking long after the weaker TI can is roasted. :mrgreen:
:
I see a lot of knocking the omega for strength. Wouldn't the lifetime warranty cover such issue?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cf4C9ssuPjE :lol: :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

SilencerCo's Warranty is superb. I'm sure you've found more than enough proof of that online.

Specwar 762: It is heavier than the Omega but I honestly don't notice when I switch between it, my saker 762, or harvester 30. (not bench resting either)
Bottom line: it's heavier on paper & sounds amazing

Omega: new kid in town & does a great job at being quiet, being light, & being able to change its length

Rugged Surge: Very excited about this one even though i'd probably never shoot it in its shorter config.

Capitol Armory did a comparison of the Specwar 762, saker 762, & the omega (all configurations) on their youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCVfXCggH54

Either way you go you will not be disappointed but after shooting a slew of 762 cans, the specwar provides the best experience hands down (I have not shot Dead Air's or Rugged's offerings)
ChinStrap40

Post by ChinStrap40 »

jdasilva wrote:SilencerCo's Warranty is superb. I'm sure you've found more than enough proof of that online.

Specwar 762: It is heavier than the Omega but I honestly don't notice when I switch between it, my saker 762, or harvester 30. (not bench resting either)

Omega: new kid in town & does a great job at being quiet, being light, & being able to change its length

Rugged Surge: Very excited about this one even though i'd probably never shoot it in its shorter config.

Capitol Armory did a comparison of the Specwar 762, saker 762, & the omega (all configurations) on their youtube channel

Either way you go you will not be disappointed but after shooting a slew of 762 cans, the specwar provides the best experience hands down (I have not shot Dead Air's or Rugged's offerings)
Great input. The video was good and informative from a 3rd party. I was so on the fence between the Specwar or Omega. I actually wish I had seen this yesterday because I went a bought the Omega after work. I know I will still be happy with it :)

I called Silencerco and spoke to Tyler who reassured me of their warranty. That was the biggest selling point to me. He said the Omega's first blast baffle is made of Stellite while the rest of the baffle stack is made of stainless and the housing made of titanium. I expressed concern about (somehow) wearing out the suppressor, but he said if I had a baffle strike or decided to run 50,000 rounds through it on full-auto and fried it that Silencerco would cover it in the warranty. That sold me.

Buuuuuut, I gotta be honest...I kind of wish I got the Specwar... ;)
ugareloader

Post by ugareloader »

ChinStrap40 wrote:
jdasilva wrote:SilencerCo's Warranty is superb. I'm sure you've found more than enough proof of that online.

Great input. The video was good and informative from a 3rd party. I was so on the fence between the Specwar or Omega. I actually wish I had seen this yesterday because I went a bought the Omega after work. I know I will still be happy with it :)

I called Silencerco and spoke to Tyler who reassured me of their warranty. That was the biggest selling point to me. He said the Omega's first blast baffle is made of Stellite while the rest of the baffle stack is made of stainless and the housing made of titanium. I expressed concern about (somehow) wearing out the suppressor, but he said if I had a baffle strike or decided to run 50,000 rounds through it on full-auto and fried it that Silencerco would cover it in the warranty. That sold me.

Buuuuuut, I gotta be honest...I kind of wish I got the Specwar... ;)

Don't doubt your purchase. You made the right decision. Go handle both in person and you will def tell the weight difference big time. Sure the Specwar is a few db quieter but the average ear can't tell only the mic. A whole lot of advantages with the Omega. I wouldn't worry about durability at ALL.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Both are very good, is a few ounces or saving some money more important? I have the Specwar now and an Omega on order.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K