Rimfire or 5.56 can on 22 Hornet?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

knightkrawler00

Rimfire or 5.56 can on 22 Hornet?

Post by knightkrawler00 »

Hi,

I Just got this project put together. It's a Savage 25 WV that's been chambered to K Hornet and I'm currently using a SilencerCo Spectre II on it, but I'm not sure it is as quiet as it could be. I am shooting supersonic and not interested in loading down to subsonic. I'm trying to make it my "ultimate" ground squirrel gun, meaning as light and quiet as possible while making good hits out to 200 yards. Noise isn't a huge concern where I shoot, other than shooter comfort. I'm wondering if anybody has tested to see if the larger internal volume of the 5.56 can reduces the muzzle blast appreciably more than the rimfire can?

Thanks for your time
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rimfire or 5.56 can on 22 Hornet?

Post by MJF1911 »

The law of diminishing returns eventually takes over, but with increasing volume you will get increasing suppression. A Ti 556 can like the Gemtech Trek-T would be perfect on that K Hornet.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

knightkrawler00 wrote:... I'm wondering if anybody has tested to see if the larger internal volume of the 5.56 can reduces the muzzle blast appreciably more than the rimfire can?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "it depends" LOL

Spectre II is a very efficient design, and there are certainly some inefficient 5.56 designs out there.

If you handload at all you can experiment with different powders. Those that are faster burning will often give you quieter performance
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

I'll admit I've never shot a 22 Hornet, but I did find this test from Silencerco on Youtube where they tested a one on their 22 Sparrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RPz_Jjv7-A

From watching Sparrow and Spectre comparisons with testing equipment they are usually within a few decibles of each other shooting various rimfire cartridges. It would be an assumption, but a Spectre II probably would produce similar results with 22 Hornet as this sparrow did. The decibel reading on the video was the same level of the supersonic crack; around 133-134 db from what I've been told. This leads me to believe that even with the increase volume of a 556 suppressor, your actual sound reduction would be overpowered by the noise of the bullet going supersonic.
knightkrawler00

I got to spend more time with it this weekend and I think I was being overly sensitive and had higher expectations than I should have. I think that Savagetactical is correct and I'm not actually hearing any of the muzzle blast. I shot it back to back with my .308 that has an AAC 762-SD can on it and the hornet is quieter than the .308. If I get the chance to try a 5.56 can on it, I will and report back. Thanks for the replies.
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

I thought about trying that with mine, maybe next weekend. I use a Liberty Kodiak on my Hornet. Only have an old heavy YHM Phantom with mount to try. Have to see if it makes a difference,,,
SpeedyR

Post by SpeedyR »

as others I would assume the majority of what you hear is the bullet going trans sonic. I don't think the can would make much of a difference. if you run subs then it could make a much bigger difference... but I haven't shot mine yet.

just out of curiosity for future reference, is it hearing safe with the 22 can with standard HV loads? that had been my main thought of buying a 22 can that's rated to hornet/bee velocities is so I can shoot them without hearing protection... (at least till I read the thread about putting a 1:7 barrel on one and shooting 69gr subs in the "rifle" section here). :)
knightkrawler00

Coyote223, I appreciate you going through the trouble and I'm really interested to hear your impressions.

SpeedyR. I'm currently shooting a 40 grain bullet over 12.4 grains of Lil'Gun for fireforming and it does seem to be hearing safe. I shot around 50 rounds and did not feel any discomfort or ringing. I've been a mechanic for nearly twenty years now and along with being young and stupid once, I imagine I've already got some permanent hearing damage, though. My 5.56 AR15 with the AAC 762-SD is too loud for me to shoot without hearing protection.