Silencerco Octane HD vs AAC TiRant 9mm?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Silencerco Octane HD vs AAC TiRant 9mm?

Post by JasonNC »

Hello all,

I am going back through my collection and trying to fill the gaps with suppressors. Next up is a dedicated 9mm can. Right now I have it narrowed down between a Silencerco Octane HD and a AAC TiRant. Both looks like great cans and I am having a hard time deciding. With price out of the issue, what would be your choice when it comes to a dedicated 9 mm can? I already have a Silencerco Osprey .45 can and as much as I like the unique design, I wanted something different, so thats why I am not getting the Osprey 9mm as well.

Thanks in advance
Jason
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Silencerco Octane HD vs AAC TiRant 9mm?

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

My preferance is the Octane 9 but a good case could also be made for the Griffin Armament Revolution 9. It is almost the same as the Octane, it even takes the same pistons, but it can be shortened to a K version without any extra stamps or things to buy. The all SS baffles make it a no brainer for me. I have tossed them in a rotary tumbler with ss pins and they clean up really really well without having to scrub and scrub to get them clean.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

JasonNC wrote:Hello all,

I am going back through my collection and trying to fill the gaps with suppressors. Next up is a dedicated 9mm can. Right now I have it narrowed down between a Silencerco Octane HD and a AAC TiRant. Both looks like great cans and I am having a hard time deciding. With price out of the issue, what would be your choice when it comes to a dedicated 9 mm can? I already have a Silencerco Osprey .45 can and as much as I like the unique design, I wanted something different, so thats why I am not getting the Osprey 9mm as well.

Thanks in advance
Jason
I have TiRant 45. and OCTANE HD9

Get the octane. you can dip and sonic clean the baffles. the tirant only 1 baffle can you. The TiRant can weld itself stuck as well if you don't clean it often enough. The Octane has self contained baffles (CTAs), eliminating blast build up from the tube.
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

That's the kind of info I am after. Some strong arguments for the Octane!
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

Octane 45 with 9mm end cap.

Drops mike.
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

either one . i love my tirant . and i dunno why people are so bent out of shape about cleaning a suppressor . i go shooting and then i sit down at the table in my shop , and clean them . its actually calming and i enjoy it . i like the quietest no matter how the cleaning goes . maybe im a weirdo :shock:
i also buy variety i have several from different makers , stainless to ti to aluminum .

like i really like the sparrow and the design is cool , but i think it needs a price drop and frp is loud , and yes ive heard it . and i really want one but the frp kills it for me . and i dont like the idea of spending 450 bucks and have to take along a water bottle
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Take a look at the Griffin Armament Revolution 9. You get goth a full size can and shorter K can for the price of one.
themonk
Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

AlabamaPaul wrote:Take a look at the Griffin Armament Revolution 9. You get goth a full size can and shorter K can for the price of one.
I love my tirant 9 and dont really have any issue with cleaning it. I clean it maybe every 1-2k. But I agree with AlabamaPaul, if I was in the market for a new 9mm pistol can, it would be one of these 2 in 1 cans. I would love to just run the shorty for home defense and then when you go out shooting you can add the extra length for increased db reduction.
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

AlabamaPaul wrote:Take a look at the Griffin Armament Revolution 9. You get goth a full size can and shorter K can for the price of one.
Wow I was not familiar with that one, I'd still get 45 with 9 endcap though.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Octane all the way ,not only easy to clean but its stronger too. I use the Octane 9-45 rifle & pistol on 22lr up without worry of lead or weakness like aluminum core cans.

however I would wait a little because I know Henry @ Rugged ( who designed the Octane and the better S-co stuff) should be coming out with a two in one size 9 & 45 suppressor also. can"t wait to see his 22 and pistol cans,,should be an improvement.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

Aaron wrote:Octane 45 with 9mm end cap.

Drops mike.
I have a Osprey 45 and like it a lot. I really want a dedicated 9mm can this go around. Perhaps when I start doubling up on calibers (besides .22, got the Sparrow and Spectre II) I will think about the Octane in 45.

Thank you
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

JasonNC wrote:
Aaron wrote:Octane 45 with 9mm end cap.

Drops mike.
I have a Osprey 45 and like it a lot. I really want a dedicated 9mm can this go around. Perhaps when I start doubling up on calibers (besides .22, got the Sparrow and Spectre II) I will think about the Octane in 45.

Thank you
Your welcome.

The nice thing about the octane (that the osprey lacks) is that you can use a 9mm endcap and you'll get as very good performance out of it on 9mm with the trade off being an inch and an once or so of weight. That's a pretty good trade off considering the versatility it will give you.

Full disclosure, I own the Octane and think its a very good can.

After seeing that Griffin Revolution though, I would go with the 45 version of that and pick of the 9mm end cap as well (I read somewhere they will be available separately).

Personally, I'm all for versatility. I think its the airborne infantry man in me. Versatility and redundancy are your friend in the field. I realize that those considerations may be of less importance to you but they remain paramount to me.

Aaron
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

Get which ever one is in stock at your local dealer, unless you plan to shoot lead or 22lr through it. If you are then definitely get the octane. The Tirant is lighter and consistently performs 2-3 db quieter than the Octane 9 in head-to-head meter testing.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

savagetactical wrote:Get which ever one is in stock at your local dealer, unless you plan to shoot lead or 22lr through it. If you are then definitely get the octane. The Tirant is lighter and consistently performs 2-3 db quieter than the Octane 9 in head-to-head meter testing.
ill take the sealed baffle stack and SS over aluminum any day, the Tirant is a little lighter but also longer ,,,and weaker. :mrgreen:

what DB tests do you speak where its a whole 2-3 DB? what host, ammo alt? :mrgreen:

not here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=donjZzUat60
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I really like my Octane 45HD, I use it primarily on an SBR 300BLK. I can't imagine why I would buy anything from AAC again.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

Emilio wrote:
savagetactical wrote:Get which ever one is in stock at your local dealer, unless you plan to shoot lead or 22lr through it. If you are then definitely get the octane. The Tirant is lighter and consistently performs 2-3 db quieter than the Octane 9 in head-to-head meter testing.
ill take the sealed baffle stack and SS over aluminum any day, the Tirant is a little lighter but also longer ,,,and weaker. :mrgreen:

what DB tests do you speak where its a whole 2-3 DB? what host, ammo alt? :mrgreen:

not here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=donjZzUat60
Ok I'll revise my estimate, 1-3 decibels better depending on the environment and ammo. You can't argue that it consistently performs better. Considering they're both full auto rated for 9mm and have good support from both companies I'm not worried about either wearing out from anything but abusive use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vydILDfxEnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=donjZzUat60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im1vORB_whM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6A6Y8Ta874

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzjoB09e00s

https://www.silencerforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=247&t=641