FTW SUPPRESSOR COVER - HAD

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

FTW SUPPRESSOR COVER - HAD

Post by Tango2249 »

What size cover would you recommend for a Saker 556 that has a direct thread mount and measures approximately 6.3"? Is it better to go with a slightly larger cover to help cut down on heat mirage? It's going to be shot mainly on a Rem 700 .223 and also on an AR. The cover comes in either 6" or 7".
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: FTW SUPPRESSOR COVER - HAD

Post by chrismartin »

I have the MAD cover.

Go longer rather than shorter.

Recoil causes the covers to slide forward. To prevent this, you can use a longer cover and hang it over the back of the silencer and tighten it down more and keep it from sliding forward under recoil. I pulled the paracord tight around the rear of the cover to keep it from moving.

Now, that's not as bad on 5.56 as it is on 308, but still a good idea in my opinion.

Also, if I had to buy another cover, it would be another FTW. Great cover. My friend bought the Armageddon gear one and wishes he bought the FTW.
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

I bought a FTW had for my .30 Ti Phantom. It seems like it will definitely help handle suppressor while it's hot but it added a lot of weight to a suppressor I paid extra for to be light. It also added a lot of bulk. I kept it but don't keep it on the suppressor normally. If I am going to put a lot of rounds through the can I will put in on. I got one for exact length of my can. If you can't get one for exact length then you'd want to go to next shortest size not larger.
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Thanks for the info guys.
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams