In the market for a new 556 suppressor, any suggestions?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ETX

In the market for a new 556 suppressor, any suggestions?

Post by ETX »

I'm looking for a new 556 supp. $Cost$ aside, throw me some recommendations. I have been looking at AAC, Surefire and Silencerco. I have limited Internet where I'm at right now and figured I could turn to you guys for easier, quicker and more realistic results.
ETX

Re: In the market for a new 556 suppressor, any suggestions?

Post by ETX »

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Hahahahaha come on guys!
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

Sorry I don't have much to contribute when it comes to a .556 from those brands. I went with a YHM M2 QD Phantom. I made my choice based on the fact I already had several .556 rifles with the QD mount set up for my .30 Ti Phantom can. So it just made sense to use the existing mounts as opposed to replacing them. In addition, one of those mounts was pinned and welded on a 14.5" barrel. From my reading, I would have likely gone with a Silencerco Spec War if I wasn't already predisposed to the YHM. I feel that Surefire is overpriced and as much respect as AAC has in the silencer community, I have read a lot of horror stories about the customer service and their mounts are pricey!
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
ETX

Post by ETX »

I gotcha, maybe I should have been for specific. I use .30 cal cans on 556. I really don't want to purchase a suppressor that limits me to 556 and below. Thanks for you insight bubba!! I have heard good things about silencerco and YHM. Kinda seems like that most of the name brands are really legit and preform the same depending on models, just kinda comes down to how well they mount and hold in place. I guess the real question would be on how what brands suppress and mount the best in a .30 cal can running on a 556 platform.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

ETX wrote:I'm looking for a new 556 supp. $Cost$ aside, throw me some recommendations. I have been looking at AAC, Surefire and Silencerco. I have limited Internet where I'm at right now and figured I could turn to you guys for easier, quicker and more realistic results.

762 saker w 556 endcap

specwar 556
JJinParadise
Silent Operator

Post by JJinParadise »

As a jumior member,, My $00.00002...

I elected to go with a SilencerCo Omega, w/7.62 QD & direct thread mount included.

I have a couple 5.56, a 6.5, and will thread my 30.06 at some point. After talking to some friends that shoot competitively, I will use direct thread, as this seems to give somewhat less POI change. If not, I will go to the QD mount.

The Omega is as light and as effective as anything currently on the market. It also has multiple end caps and mounts for several calibers. It's rated full auto and up to 300 WM. Covers anything I plan to do..

YMMV
Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh sula mbeadh a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
ETX

Post by ETX »

Thanks a bunch guys!!!
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I like my Specwar 556, but if I did it over again I would get an Omega. The Omega is so much more versatile than any other can out there, plus it is light weight and full auto rated.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

I recommend Saker 762 with optional 556 endcap. And not just cause I have it... unavoidable bias though :P

I think the new Omega is a great can, but I see it more as a heavy duty Harvester.
Stainless steel baffle stack and a cool endcap brake. And the long endcap brake is needed for its max noise suppression.
The added heavy duty specs are the Stellite blast baffle, titanium tube, and ASR mounts.

The Saker has a full stellite stack, SS tube, and better MAAD mounts. It weighs 5-6 oz heavier, but it's worth the extra ruggedness and longevity.
It's actually considered overbuilt, but that's a good thing in my book. Especially on SBR's and full auto.

Now if the Omega had a stellite blast baffle followed by an Inconel stack, I'd probably go for it.
ETX

Post by ETX »

I didn't realize that about about the brake end cap. How much reduction do you loose if you don't run it?
Shootsmith

Post by Shootsmith »

For rifles and QD (quick detach) cans, you are buying into a system and their muzzle brake(s).

I went with the Surefire SOCOM 7.62. My thinking was good muzzle brakes, good QD system, can shoot on .308, .243, .223, and .300Blk, plus it is rated for shorter barrels.
Minimal POI shift.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

ETX wrote:I didn't realize that about about the brake end cap. How much reduction do you loose if you don't run it?
Good info and numbers here. Forgot that using the optional 556 endcap will more than make up for the anchor brake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed8HjkyE1wg
ETX

Post by ETX »

Thanks for all the info guys! This really helped a lot. I am still a little sketchy towards a removable end cap though. Mainly because when I am hunting hogs or just out and about at my place, my gun is sitting barrel down on the floorboard. I don't want this to back off the cap and something bad happen. I saw a video of a guy shoot his end cap off. Probably user error towards his ammo or barrel length but who knows. The removable end cap is just a concern for me. I'm not stuck on silencerco so if there are other suppressors out there that y'all like just as good or better I am open for suggestions.
ETX

Post by ETX »

rimshaker wrote:
ETX wrote:I didn't realize that about about the brake end cap. How much reduction do you loose if you don't run it?
Good info and numbers here. Forgot that using the optional 556 endcap will more than make up for the anchor brake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed8HjkyE1wg

Nice video, very helpful!
LittleLebowski

Post by LittleLebowski »

Specwar 556 K.
JohnnyUtah556

Post by JohnnyUtah556 »

ETX wrote:I'm looking for a new 556 supp. $Cost$ aside, throw me some recommendations. I have been looking at AAC, Surefire and Silencerco. I have limited Internet where I'm at right now and figured I could turn to you guys for easier, quicker and more realistic results.
I have a Surefire FA556-212, sounds good, solid mounting system, minimal POI shift, fast on/off. Of course the SOCOM came out after I bought mine and before my forms were approved, and it is supposed to have reduced back pressure so less gas in the face. I run mine on a 10.5 MK18 and a 14.5 and 16" AR, and have taken hogs suppressed, 75 gr TAP worked well,!

They are out there for $800 now, wish I paid that for my SF can.. Thinking about picking up the SOCOM, would just have to buy and swap out the new muzzle brake or flash hider mount. Wouldn't hesitate to get another Surefire.