Ruger American Predator

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

sniper60

Ruger American Predator

Post by sniper60 »

I'm looking at the .223 American from Ruger. One reason is it comes with a threaded barrel. Anyone have any experience on this weapon? BYW new member here!
Revelations. "Behold the pale horse". The man who "sat on him was Death... and Hell
followed with him".
FarmDadCO

Re: Ruger American Predator

Post by FarmDadCO »

Just saw a 6.5 shoot under a MOA at 1k yards . Write up on it is in this months gunup online mag.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Have you seen the new ruger precision rifle?
Freaking amazing. Not available in 223, but its a lot of rifle for the price.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rpr/?r=y
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Welcome to the forum

It's great to see all the MFG's offering threaded muzzles now. Tides are changing. We are winning the fight against ignorance and silencers are gaining cred all the time.

Mossberg also offers the MVP rifles with threaded muzzles and Savage offers the Hog Hunter series. All three have become very capable of producing inexpensive rifles that are very accurate. Handle a few at a shop and get the one that feels and fits best
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

I've got one in .243 coming in Friday, and will post a mini review, with range report for you.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

My shooting Buddy (Former Cav Sniper) loves his, he was telling me the other day he was going to buy another in 308. I personally have the Savage Axis SR in 223 and 308 and love both, might grab another in 223 and convert it to 300AAC, Savage has said they refuse to make a 300AAC in any model because its not accurate enough for their standards. Go figure, I have a 300 that shoots 1.5 MOA at 100, good enough for my use.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
Jullian Who?

Post by Jullian Who? »

I have the .308 Predator. I love it, but was having problem with cycling the action when I first got it. I was experiencing 2 problems, first was when the action was chambering a new round, it would often get the shell pinched as it was moved into the breach. 2nd issues was it took a LOT of force to get the bolt to open after firing a round. I ended up sending it back to Ruger for repair (they paid shipping both ways and were great about customer service) and they replaced the bolt and replaced the magazines too. Since then, nothing but good things and nice smooth cycling of rounds.
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

Joker31D wrote:might grab another in 223 and convert it to 300AAC
Joker,

look at their Ranch line, they have one in 300 blk with a threaded 16" barrel. I believe the Ranch and Predator are the same gun, the only difference between the two is the stock color and barrel length.

My folks have one of those Ranch guns in 300 blk and love it. I was impressed with its simplicity and craftsmanship. The plastic magazines seem a little flimsy, but they seem to work fine.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I may do it, The Ruger looks good and my buddy loves his, I did buy an Axis SR in 223 (I now own 4 Axis Rifles, love them all) but I am open to others because these budget rifles are so damn cheap and you get so much for your money. I own a few savage 110's that I loan out at Wounded Warrior Hunts I attend. They are all in 243 and I bought Vortex Glass for them because they gave me a good price for them. I try to take extra rifles to allow other Vets to shoot for fun and to hunt with. I remember having a rough time financially and most Wounded Vets do at first so most sell of their guns. I'm Currently trying to find a rifle that a Vet sold off to get by that was passed down from his grandfather to his father to him. I found the guy he sold it to and am trying to buy it back to give to him. He sold it to feed his family, I wish he would have sold it to me, I would have given it back, now that he's getting his disability. Anyway, I'm buying a few suppressors to take out to allow some vets to hunt with when I guide them because the sound of the shot is pretty disturbing to some of us who only remember hearing that sound as a bad thing. Anyway, I'm going to buy a Ruger, if I dont like it, I'll loan it out along with a can at the next event I go to.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I have the Ruger American Ranch in 300blk and Ruger American Rimfire in 22lr. I really like them both. I'm still working on a good handload for the 300blk but so far it has been accurate for me. As far as the Rimfire version I managed to hit a 4" gong at 300 yards 3/5 shots the only time I have had a chance to take it out that far. Otherwise I usually shoot at 100-170 yards and can hit a chipmunk gong nearly every shot. They are GREAT guns. I wish they would make one in 357 mag to replace the 77/357 as it's twice the price of the American series.