Omega "Review"

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: Kenny_SilencerCo, Andrew@Silencerco

JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Omega "Review"

Post by JeffWard »

I've had my SilencerCo Omega a week now. I've run 300BLK subs (220 SMK), 300BLK supers (110 BlackTip), and 223 through it. All so far with the flat end-cap installed (Harvester brake removed). So far I've just run it Direct Thread on both the 300BLK (8"), and the 5.56 (10.5").

With 300BLK Subs, it's awesome, just a low thud. The bolt noise and trigger reset are just as loud. Tested against my friend's AAC SDN-6, it's a bit quieter, despite being 1.5 inches shorter, and a full 8oz lighter. Similar suppression, but a lower tone. Shooting 300BLK supers, and even 223, it is reasonably comfortable with no muffs, even in an enclosed space (concrete 20' roof and railroad tie walls)!

I did two 30-round mag-dumps with the 223, and the Cerakote started to smoke and bubble a bit! It's starting to discolor nicely from the heat!

Tomorrow, it will be QD (brake) mounted to my 16.5" 308 bolt gun... and tested at 100yd. Should be interesting to test. I'll have 168gr Fed GMM, and some 175gr SMK "Match Loads". The Harvester Brake will go back on for the 308.

In general... it's as quiet as any of the dozen cans I've seen or fired, and VERY light. The 12oz at the end of a 8-10.5" barrel is hardly noticeable.

JW
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Re: Omega "Review"

Post by JeffWard »

I got a chance to run the Omega on my 16.5" Howa 308 yesterday.

Run mounted to the SiCo Brake with the QD mount, my POI was about 1.5" high at 100, most likely due to a velocity increase over the short 16.5" barrel, from an extra 7" of can.

Shooting 175gr SMK (GMM Clone) ammo, the gun was WELL inside 1 MOA with my last 5-shot group right at 0.7"!

The suppression was amazing. Everyone on the line was wandering by listening to the gun. It sounded like a 9mm going off, and with the Harvester Brake, felt like a 223.

It's fun shooting a 16.5" FDE Howa, suppressed... on a public shooting line. The general reaction is "WHAT THE F--k IS THAT??", followed by "Where can I get one?", especially when you're tearing up 1" target dots at 100!

JW
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Here's the Howa (and last group), and my SBR.

JW
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

That is an awesome 308 "sbr." And great shooting too!

Always wanted to try a short 308. How do you like it compared to a typical 20"+ barrel?
AirCavBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by AirCavBob »

That's it. I'm turning one of my in stock Omega's into a demo. 8)
01 FFL Class III SOT
South Central Kansas
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

Nice shooting! how do you like that minimalist stock? i'm thinking about getting one.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Rimshaker:

A 16.5" 308 is possibly MORE accurate with the right load than a 20-24". Mine has DEFINITELY not lost any accuracy, since it was once a 20".

The shorter barrel, at the same profile, is simply "stiffer" with less deflection due to heat, and also less deflection due to the weight of a suppressor.
It WILL lose velocity over the 20-24" of course, but is still FINE inside 600 yards with 175gr bullets. I don't plan on shooting out to 1000 yards with this gun, so it's not an issue.

The suppressor with the Harvester Brake and the QD mount is just over 7", so the total barrel/can length is 23", which is VERY nice.

Jeff
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

mars wrote:Nice shooting! how do you like that minimalist stock? i'm thinking about getting one.
I love the stock. It's a very tight fitting stock. Very solid. (I never adjust it. I just run it fully collapsed). The weight is lighter than a MagPul MOE at about the same dimensions. Total gun weight including the 12" rail and suppressor (12oz) is just a hair over 7lb.

JW