Specwar, SRD762Ti, or ?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Elkins45
Senior Silent Operator

Specwar, SRD762Ti, or ?

Post by Elkins45 »

So I want to try to squeeze in one more commercial can purchase before 41P goes into effect (if it does) and my dealer has two 30 caliber cans in the $700-$800 range. One is a Silencerco Specwar and the other is a Sig SRD762Ti. About $1K, including the stamp is all I can scrape up now, so here's the question:

If you had $700-800 to spend on a 30 caliber can which of these two would you choose, and why?
If not limited to these two choices which can would you choose, and why?

TIA for any replies.
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

Re: Specwar, SRD762Ti, or ?

Post by Loki_stormbringer »

I just purchased the omega and it's in holding. Between those cams I would go with specwar because I think the SIG cans are kinda butt fugly. My personal opinion.

Chose the omega because weight. It will be going on my SBR that's also in jail.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

I'd definitely go with the new Sig. Cutting edge welding; no outer tube required. Taper-Lok threading feature. And weighs much less than the Specwar.

I think the silencer industry will be following Sig's lead with the tubeless welding and enhanced direct thread mounting.
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

rimshaker wrote:I'd definitely go with the new Sig. Cutting edge welding; no outer tube required. Taper-Lok threading feature. And weighs much less than the Specwar.

I think the silencer industry will be following Sig's lead with the tubeless welding and enhanced direct thread mounting.
Doesn't that only work with SIG barrels?
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Buck up and get dead air.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Loki_stormbringer wrote:
rimshaker wrote:I'd definitely go with the new Sig. Cutting edge welding; no outer tube required. Taper-Lok threading feature. And weighs much less than the Specwar.

Doesn't that only work with SIG barrels?
Taper-Lok is compatible with standard threaded barrels also. But SIG barrels have the tapered shoulder to take full advantage of it.
Elkins45
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Elkins45 »

66427vette wrote:Buck up and get dead air.
They don't appear to have a retail presence in my state. I'm not waiting on a form 3 transfer if there's any way I can avoid it. Besides, their cans seem to be the same basic design as the Sig anyway.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Probably depends on what cans you've already bought and how you would use it.

Will say, the only reason I didn't buy a Specwar as my first .30 can was weight. It is a proven performer and built like a tank. Possibly the quietest .30 commercial can.

The Sig can is 8 ounces lighter and meters pretty darn close to the Spec.

Titanium isn't quite as durable as the Stainless and Stellite construction of the Specwar but if you're not shooting several hundred rounds at a time you're probably never going to wear it out anyway.
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

Elkins45 wrote:
66427vette wrote:Buck up and get dead air.
They don't appear to have a retail presence in my state. I'm not waiting on a form 3 transfer if there's any way I can avoid it. Besides, their cans seem to be the same basic design as the Sig anyway.
Can always order from Silencershop and use their powered by option and it would be the same wait time as your local purchase right? I mean they do the form 3 and form 4 at the same time. Form 3's go through quicker normally then a form 4 does.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

You have it figured out.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

No one has asked what you're going to use the can on ... and that is important.

I have a 30 cal SAS Titanium Arbiter that is light and wonderfully quiet. I don't think I'd use it or any titanium can where it would get really hot though.

Have a Specwar and a Saker for that sort of service. The Specwar gets used on a 12.5" semi auto 308 ... and that is tough service! Has a very positive mount and is very quiet! Great can ...
Elkins45
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Elkins45 »

I already have a serviceable can for lead bullets and 300 blackout. The primary use for this can would be hunting with supersonics. No mag dumps or SBR abuse. The light weight of a Ti can makes sense to me.

Of course, the Harvester is even cheaper and lighter...

I suppose I could always just sell something and get both. :D
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

Elkins45 wrote:I already have a serviceable can for lead bullets and 300 blackout. The primary use for this can would be hunting with supersonics. No mag dumps or SBR abuse. The light weight of a Ti can makes sense to me.

The Omega is shorter, lighter, and quieter then the SRD762Ti. Also shorter / quieter then the harvester with only weighing 2oz more. The downside is you have a $400 retail premium for the Omega.

Might be telling you something you already know but incase you didn't. If this isn't relevant just ignore this.
Elkins45
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Elkins45 »

Loki_stormbringer wrote:
Elkins45 wrote:I already have a serviceable can for lead bullets and 300 blackout. The primary use for this can would be hunting with supersonics. No mag dumps or SBR abuse. The light weight of a Ti can makes sense to me.

The Omega is shorter, lighter, and quieter then the SRD762Ti. Also shorter / quieter then the harvester with only weighing 2oz more. The downside is you have a $400 retail premium for the Omega.

Might be telling you something you already know but incase you didn't. If this isn't relevant just ignore this.
Actually your post is very helpful, as was the one about the direct purchase from Silencer Shop. I'm seriously considering the Omega now...buy once, cry once.
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

I prefer buying local and supporting local. I tried my local shop but they didn't have the Omega in stock and I asked them to check with their distributor to see if they could get one in a fairly reasonable time. When they checked they said there was no way they could get their hands on one. Their distributer had a back order for 800 already committed. After learning that I went the powered by silencershop route.

*edit*
For those wondering about it:

viewtopic.php?f=135&t=135251
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

have you heard something we haven't about 41P? I'd go with and did go with the Saker, might look at the Omega as well.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Elkins45 wrote:
Loki_stormbringer wrote:

Actually your post is very helpful, as was the one about the direct purchase from Silencer Shop. I'm seriously considering the Omega now...buy once, cry once.
I bucked up for the Omega... Best of all worlds. Super light, durable ENOUGH for my usage, and super "modular" with the optional mounts, and the flat/brake end-caps.

You can't beat a 12 oz 6" can on an SBR, with Omega suppression. If you're hunting with it, snap on the QD mount over a Silencerco Brake (that comes with it), and screw on the Harvester Brake. It's STILL only a bit over 13oz! The Specwar might be great for multiple daily mag-dumps... but SERIOUSLY? All that weight... Ugh.

JW
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

Don't forget to register for the free pouch and the other freebie for the Omega.
thecameraman79
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thecameraman79 »

+1 for the Omega. I purchased one and it won't disappoint you. I have a SDN-6 and the Omega is so much lighter and as good/better sounding then the SDN-6. Also +1 if you register it you get a free pouch AND an additional flash hider in the mail. It's great that for $830 you get the can with direct thread, break and the quick attach mount and by registering you get another mount for it and pouch. I got mine in less then 2 weeks too.

I know a lot of people say that the saker/specwar are built like tanks and they are but if you are using the Omega on barrel lengths recommended its full auto rated too so I wouldn't worry about the durability of it even if you did want to do mag dumps.
Elkins45
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Elkins45 »

Joker31D wrote:have you heard something we haven't about 41P?
No, just planning for the worst while hoping for the best.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Last I heard it was tabled indefinitely. Hope it stays that way...
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
roodyrocker
Silent Operator

Post by roodyrocker »

When looking for a .30 caliber can the Rugged Suppressors Surge 762 looked good to me. I'm waiting on one. You can run it full length or shorten it and of course lose some weight too.

Rudy
Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Elkins45 wrote:So I want to try to squeeze in one more commercial can purchase before 41P goes into effect (if it does) and my dealer has two 30 caliber cans in the $700-$800 range. One is a Silencerco Specwar and the other is a Sig SRD762Ti. About $1K, including the stamp is all I can scrape up now, so here's the question:

If you had $700-800 to spend on a 30 caliber can which of these two would you choose, and why?
If not limited to these two choices which can would you choose, and why?

TIA for any replies.

If it's what's at your dealer then I'd go with the Sig Ti. It's pretty unique and it will fit your intended use from what you described. The Specwar is heavy and overkill for what you're doing. One thing I haven't done is shot the Sig for precision, though. I don't think I'd go with it if it's the QD version. It looks very 'tactical' but its baffle stack is more bolt action hunting oriented in my book. You have to decide if you like the look.

The Sig can is a tad longer than the Omega, but it actually meters super close and has a tad lower back-pressure.

If your dealer isn't stocking Dead Air stuff, then have him call and order you something directly from Silencer Shop or from the factory. Based on your usage description, I'd recommend a Sandman -Ti for lightweight and thread-on precision. It's got the full stellite stack inside, so durability and the occasional heavy use won't be an issue. Cost is good too. It's going to have the lowest back-pressure of what's been discussed.