Another newbie here, help me decide

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

woody45acp

Another newbie here, help me decide

Post by woody45acp »

As title says, another newbie here (to the forum, and suppressors in general), help me decide please!
I have decided to take the plunge into acquiring a suppressor. I think I have it narrowed down to 2 options, but still open to suggestions.
The Octane 45 HD is currently my 1st choice, however the cost is slightly influencing my decision. I am seeing them online in a few places for a couple hundred less than what the local dealer will sell for, and they wont transfer one in from another dealer. I guess I am OK with the dealers cost if I am 100% convinced this is the right way for me to go.
The second choice would be to go form 1. I am a journeyman tool & die maker, so making the components is not an issue, just a matter of settling on a design and following through with it. I would like for it to be able to handle several calibers like the octane, though I have not seen many form 1 designs with a booster for .45 and 9mm.
The potential hosts would be -
22/45 lite
M&P 15/22
M&P 9c
HK VP9
1911 .45acp
300 blackout m4 style pistol 8.5" barrel
Just some background to open the discussion, any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Woody
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Another newbie here, help me decide

Post by poikilotrm »

I use a MkII Ruger .22/.45. It's perfect for me. The pistol balances well, has a proven mag design, and runs well with 1050fps ammo. I use a Sparrow on it, and can't find a reason to complain.

I run my AAC .308 can on my Remington 700 in .308 and on my Bushmaster 16 inch 5.56. The 16 inch is unwieldy with the can, but much more pleasurable to shoot. Again, no reason to complain.

If you can swing it, get all your cans at once. I wish I had. My next purchase will be another Sparrow, two more .308 cans, and two .45ACP cans.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
woody45acp

Post by woody45acp »

to clarify - while I would like to have dedicated suppressors for all calibers, I am only going to have one for the foreseeable future. I am just looking to see if the Octane would still be a worthy choice given the fact that local dealer is asking full MSRP vs. online vendors asking hundreds less. Otherwise, I am interested in doing a form 1, my concern is getting the booster right.
Thanks,
woody
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

If you get one can and plan to use if for both 22lr and 45acp or 9mm then you will need two adapters. One spring loaded LID/LCD/Neilsen device and one not spring loaded for fixed barrels like rifles and 22lr pistols. The can should capable of being serviced by the user as well ... take-apart.

Other than that, pay attention to what pokemon just said. That bas##rd is on a roll ... 3 good posts in 5 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Octane is the pistol can I would buy. You can shoot lead cast or .22lr out of it and not worry. It's also a great sounding can from a very reputable manufacturer and it will work well on all the hosts you mentioned (with the proper mounts of course, which are available).

I'd recommend at least one commercial can purchase before building a Form 1. The best craftsman in the world can always benefit from a "working model".

If your dealer is $200 more than what you see online, I'd consider purchasing from Silencershop. I definitely like supporting local business as I've worked for mom-and-pop businesses almost exclusively. However, Silencershop IS a "local" business, they're just in Texas. I've been quite happy with my business with them, they're very helpful and frankly, I'm not sure I'd even own a silencer if I hadn't come across their site. They made it super easy.

Good luck and welcome to the fold. You're going to love owning (a) silecer(s)!
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

Find another dealer. any dealer that won't accept transfers is not to be trusted
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

jdasilva wrote:Find another dealer. any dealer that won't accept transfers is not to be trusted
Agreed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Generally the best option is to buy from a reputable local dealer who actually has the silencer physically in stock.
This saves you a lot of overall waiting time since you can immediately send out the Form 4.
If the can is being transferred from another dealer, then you'd also have to wait for the Form 3 to be processed and approved first. This can take up to several months.

But yes, typically local dealers will be priced a little higher than say, Silencer Shop. And you also have to pay sales tax.
But don't forget that NFA transfers also cost anywhere up to $100, depending on the dealer.

Look at both options and calculate your true costs, in both money and time.
If your local dealer also has a range, then you can shoot the can while waiting on the F4. Even better.
Octane 45 is a great choice. The Mystic X is another great option (you just can't shoot 40 and 45).
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

jdasilva wrote:Find another dealer. any dealer that won't accept transfers is not to be trusted
That's not exactly true. Many dealers are just considering their risk/reward situation.
And NFA transfers directly compete with their own NFA inventories too.
But I agree, it sucks that a lot of Class 3 dealers nowadays are doing away with NFA transfers.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

rimshaker wrote:
That's not exactly true. Many dealers are just considering their risk/reward situation.
And NFA transfers directly compete with their own NFA inventories too.
But I agree, it sucks that a lot of Class 3 dealers nowadays are doing away with NFA transfers.
a lot of local shops chose to risk & now they're either closed or on the verge of closing. Take care of your customers whether its a transfer or not or their will be severe revenue losses.I buy my guns almost exclusively at buds & use a pawnshop for transfers just so local gunshops don't make a penny off me.

as far as nfa, I drive 3 hours to an honest dealer instead of the 5 or 6 nfa dealers within 20 minutes of me.

it may be a negative way of doing things but if a dealer doesn't want my $25, he won't get my $900
roodyrocker
Silent Operator

Post by roodyrocker »

I have an Octane 45 HD waiting to clear ATF myself. It sounds like a good choice for your application as well. The various mounts available for it should work for what you listed. On the price, keep in mind that some online prices I've seen do not include a piston/mount. By the time you add that cost in and the transfer fee to a dealer near you, it may not be as big a difference as you thought. If its still considerably more taking all that into account then yes, you may want to buy elsewhere.

Rudy
Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC
thecameraman79
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thecameraman79 »

I guess I'm lucky because everyone I hear pays more at there LGS then silencshops prices but my LGS has charged me less on every single can then SS has them listed for and most the time they have them on hand so no form 3 wait. Even if I have to wait for the form 3 for it to get to them it's no less quick because once they get it in there hands I can visit it anytime I'd like.

Back on subject I own the Octane 9 HD and love it. I use it on multiple hosts including 300 BLK handi rifle (subs only), and sp-89 SBR and it's a great can. Love the click together baffles and since they are SS they can go right into the ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning. You won't be disappointed with the Octane. I love my Tirant 45 but if I had to do it over again I would have got the Octane 45 for ease of cleaning.
rimshaker wrote:Generally the best option is to buy from a reputable local dealer who actually has the silencer physically in stock.
This saves you a lot of overall waiting time since you can immediately send out the Form 4.
If the can is being transferred from another dealer, then you'd also have to wait for the Form 3 to be processed and approved first. This can take up to several months.

But yes, typically local dealers will be priced a little higher than say, Silencer Shop. And you also have to pay sales tax.
But don't forget that NFA transfers also cost anywhere up to $100, depending on the dealer.

Look at both options and calculate your true costs, in both money and time.
If your local dealer also has a range, then you can shoot the can while waiting on the F4. Even better.
Octane 45 is a great choice. The Mystic X is another great option (you just can't shoot 40 and 45).
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

"One can for everything" is very difficult. With the Octane 45, you'll have a great pistol can. For putting it on 300BLK you're limited to subsonic only, and really no other rifle calibers. For 22, you've got a giant suppressor with a large bore diameter.

I see it the same way as optics. I love my Aimpoints, but they aren't the best choice for putting on my Remington 700. Will they work, sure... but ideal, not at all. Nor is an Aimpoint Pro the best choice for a Ruger 22/45 LITE.

I may look at what you really want to suppress first and your main use for it, then go from there. Octane 45 is good, just know what you're getting into when you use it for things that will work, but are really secondary for what the suppressor is designed for.

Also, disregard cost when looking at a suppressor for the most part. Obviously $700-1500 matters, but if it's a couple hundred dollars save up and buy the one you want. It's not easy to take it back if you don't like it. If Jim Jam's Elite Operator Suppressor is $400, an Octane 45 is $675... the Octane is the way to go. (Not that Jim Jam's Elite Operator Suppressor is really a thing, just putting in comparison a no-name no-testing discount can vs a quality one)
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
woody45acp

Post by woody45acp »

Thanks for all the replies. I think if I buy a can, it will definately be the octane.
As I also mentioned, still thinking about form 1. Since I definitely want to run it on .45 & 9mm browning action pistols, the booster is where I'm hesitant. I don't want to mess that up and wreck either the pistol or the can. Is it correct that buying a booster and building the can to accept it is a no-no?
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

woody45acp wrote:... Is it correct that buying a booster and building the can to accept it is a no-no?
No that's not correct, a lot of guys do just that.