Well that was interesting ...

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Artful
Silent But Deadly

Well that was interesting ...

Post by Artful »

I have infected several of my friends with the Quiet Virus - some have done OK
with their purchases of suppressors and using them in good health.

Others have contracted the dreaded - CanNotWorkingRightUs condition

So my friend Mr M decided he wanted a suppressor, picked up a 223 can for his AR - worked great.
- picked up threaded barrel for his XD and got a AAC Ti-Rant and was having fun.
Then he decided he wanted a 308 can after hanging around me using my AAC Cyclone on my stuff (.243 thru 7.62x54R).

And he first tried to order one thru his dealer from a national company that evidently didn't have anything in stock. Next canceled that order after significant delays and ordered from another nationally known company who said they had their can in stock.

After the usual delays for Form 3's and Form 4's he finally got it in.
In the mean time he had ordered from Shilen a barrel be fitted to his action in 308 and muzzle threaded
5/8x24 at the same time and purchased an Quick Attach adaptor for his not soon to arrive can when the rifle came back.

So he was ready when the can arrived - took it out and tested it - End Cap strike!
WTH - He called me up we went thru the usual - as it was threaded by a known good
barrel maker when it was fitted to the action I doubted it was the problem.

We sort of narrowed it down to the Quick Attach device. I told him to call the maker
but he was all impatient and just dropped another $150 for another one at local shop.
Sure enough - with the change of the Quick Attach Device the end cap strikes stopped.

At this point he mailed off the bad Quick Attach Device to the maker and got a response...
Which Mr M notated and forwarded to me...
Afternoon,

We have no record of this item (QM-HVT-BR or HVT Brake) being purchased by you from us.
Duh, should have told them I bought it through one of their dealers, pretty hard to tell where it came from, even though it has their name all over it?

I am unable to accept the item that you have returned to us for a couple reasons:

1. The mount has been fired.
Really, you don't think that's how I figured out it was out of alignment, when the bullet struck the baffle on my new suppressor?

2. Writing on the mount and on the packaging,
Yep, we can't do anything about it even though it doesn't work correctly and you opened it up and wrote on the package and we don't have anymore packages, good excuse.

3. SHIM set is missing.
Wonder why, oh I know I used the shims to set the timing for the brake exhaust holes, per their directions. And they must have not more shims in stock I guess.

I am unable to re-sell this mount.
He left out the important part, because it's out of alignment and might screw up someone else's brand new Junk Tech suppressor.

I am sorry that you had issues with this product. I did have my Lead Shop guy inspect the item and run alignment with some other HVT-QM Suppressors that we have here and there are no alignment issues that we can find. Everything checks out across the board.
Now if you were possibly the lead man machinist that might have sent out a bad batch, what are you going to tell the boss? Nope Bob, nothing wrong with that one, must be the barrel threads or the way they put it together?

I did see that you did purchase another mount from us and I am happy to hear that it is working the way you like.
But wait, this one works and there was no baffle strikes using the same barrel on the same gun with the same suppressor and same bullet's, it's a mystery? If I had a problem, I couldn't send it back anyway, because I opened the package and used some of the shim's, there goes the old, we stand behind our product 100%, when we want to?

I will have my shipping department return the item you sent us for we cannot accept it.

For sale one Junk Tech QM-HVT-BR or HVT Brake/muzzle, $75.00, But Junk Tech says it's ok? Retail $150

Regards, XXX
Well, Great Customer service, yep - they made a Happy Customer - NOT

Just thought I would warn any future customers about the service my friend received.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Well that was interesting ...

Post by doubloon »

wow.

I wonder if they hate all their customers equally.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

I can get over people still buying their product.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Thread adapters for suppressors are the worst idea ever. Tolerance stacking can only lead to failure. If it works you're lucky. If it doesn't you're screwed. Why chance it?
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
furiousMG

Post by furiousMG »

I didn't see what can or what manufacture it was. Are you not allowed to post that here? I would like to avoid a company with that kind of customer service.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

G*****h

The guys who invented full circumferential welding on cans. They also were the first ones to not use roll pins in assembly of suppressors :lol:
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

furiousMG wrote:I didn't see what can or what manufacture it was. Are you not allowed to post that here? I would like to avoid a company with that kind of customer service.
Google-fu
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

furiousMG wrote:I didn't see what can or what manufacture it was. Are you not allowed to post that here? I would like to avoid a company with that kind of customer service.
http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/HVT-QM-p90.htm
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

There has to be more to the story. GT does not act like that.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Matt was that meant as sarcasm or
would you like a phone number to talk in person to the one this happened too?
Deathray
Silent But Deadly

Post by Deathray »

mpallett wrote:There has to be more to the story. GT does not act like that.
No kidding, they didn't mention the fact that Dr. Dater has a PhD even once.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Didn't seem much point - I know other's would point it out :lol:
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

mpallett wrote:There has to be more to the story. GT does not act like that.

Sarcasm is supposed to be in purple.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Right
Marsblue

Post by Marsblue »

This is a bit concerning. I noticed a while back that it seems like they were clearing out their 2 lug mounts. Perhaps this is part of why? I happen to have one of these that I have on a .308 bolt gun and was looking to get mounts for and AK, .30cal AR and ptr91.
Liberty Suppress

Post by Liberty Suppress »

We love our customers here at Liberty. I'm just sayin......

Tim@Liberty
Liberty Suppressors
"Maker of the world's greatest firearm suppressors."
www.libertycans.net
706-661-6911
Tex Suppressed

Post by Tex Suppressed »

Gemtech is on my short list of companies I highly doubt I will ever buy from again. Taurus would be the other.

Ordered 2 of their supressors they were heavily advertising. Unfortunately I couldn't get a serial number to save my life. So I emailed gemtech half a dozen times to see what the hold up was and never got 1 reply.

It was a small company who I purchased from and they were as frantic as I was. They were finally able to get them from a bigger company because nobody at Gemtech was talking to them even though they were an authorized seller.

Meanwhile I emailed Silencerco about some supressors I bought from them and got a response back the same day. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

Gemtech dropped the ball long ago
Bradpierson26
Silent Operator

Post by Bradpierson26 »

I've never had a communication issue with Dr. Dater and I own 2 gemtech cans.
YMMV
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

I don't think Dr Dater was involved in M's issue at all - this was handled by the day to day people - you know the ones that normally talk to the public.