thoughts on retarding ...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

thoughts on retarding ...

Post by iron.maiden »

this may help someone that wants to have some fun ... testing this ideas in 300blk , 308 and 223 also ,
thinking about retarding gasses, keeping it moving inside can instead of stopping , while additional slot-cuts can be added .
other embodiments can be devised which do not depart from the scope of the invention :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Image Image
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: thoughts on retarding ...

Post by Capt. Link. »

You always bring something to share.I'm familiar with your exhaustive research are these from the bench?
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

Capt. Link....your avatar is so catchy :?
i did not tested any of drawings above ,but... i think i have a 7mm rem. magnum design that works very good in sound and accuracy
it's simple in design , basic idea i posted for a 300blk can, by the way someone has to try it , it works great , do not be deceived
by it's simplicity , blast baffle needs to be machined the rest freeze plugs are ok , i posted because it can be made easy.
minor changes are done on magnum one , will not be disappointed, it's proved
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Thanks for posting - question - what if you put the holes at an angle giving a swirl effect?
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Artful wrote:Thanks for posting - question - what if you put the holes at an angle giving a swirl effect?
Good question.
There are a lot of different opinions on there here on ST.
Some say it works some say this will never work.

First some basics.
To give a direction on a gasflow it needs contact surface.
Having a baffle with a wall of just 1,6mm wil not give much surface for you, so the amount of gas that will go of its original angle is not that much.

You can also see this in the scoop on a K baffle.
If the scoop is to small it will not do much, and THAT happens where the most energy is as it is in the main flow.
So if you have an angled port in the bottom of your baffle with just 1,6mm wall there will not be much directional change.

This will give you 2 options,
1- Keep as is with straight hole / small hole under an angle and have little to no directional changes on the gasflow, due to contact surface.
2- Make the portion you want to put your holes / scoops in thicker and have better directional changes ( Turbine cuts etc ) disadvantage is going to be that your silencer is going to be more heavy as your baffle weight more.

With the right machines CNC or manual (with the right tools and patience) one can do great work in this field.

Gunny
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135514
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77913
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Actually I was thinking more of scoop mode on the holes in my mind.

Drill the hole then form the scoop by bending the lip.

Sort of like this
but smaller scale of course.

Or being it's on the outside edge you could do diagonal slash thru the edge.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

actually ,,i was thinking on this..cone with ' one side' type of porting + slot , i used to make some but never tried out to see how it works .
ImageImage
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

another aspects of cone
ImageImage
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

This approach works quite well, at least in high pressure applications. It's my preferred method,and there are many possible configurations to play with.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

iron.maiden wrote:actually ,,i was thinking on this..cone with ' one side' type of porting + slot , i used to make some but never tried out to see how it works .
ImageImage
Oh, that does look interesting.
Pat M
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pat M »

" Don't Go Full" ....... couldn't help it :lol:
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Artful wrote:Thanks for posting - question - what if you put the holes at an angle giving a swirl effect?

Had to do some google foo.

But I do think that working with a FP for baffle one could make some directional holes by using some of these.
Just adept them so they only do partial cuts, do not use them all the way. :D

Manny options in these..
Gunny
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

iron.maiden wrote:actually ,,i was thinking on this..cone with ' one side' type of porting + slot , i used to make some but never tried out to see how it works .
ImageImage
I know that I'm late to the party. Wanted to post a design that I made a few months ago, but don't think that I ever posted here.

This is a modified K that has a flat area to increase pressure flowing across the mouth, then the other side is open to create a lower pressure region where the gas will flow around the cone's skirt b/f circling the skirt to create another cross current.

There are several possible iterations that could be suited to different applications. These were designed to function in high pressure rds like .308+. They fit into each sequential baffle, but this isn't strictly necessary.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

i think it will work , i had similar idea , trying to keep as long as possible gasses inside the can
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

iron.maiden wrote:this may help someone that wants to have some fun ... testing this ideas in 300blk , 308 and 223 also ,
thinking about retarding gasses, keeping it moving inside can instead of stopping , while additional slot-cuts can be added .
other embodiments can be devised which do not depart from the scope of the invention :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Image Image
Would I be correct that something like this on an AR would help sound reduction at the shooters ear from the lowering of blow back?